Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglelover01

Reaction score
this little guy was found in the produce section hiding in some buk choy! i don't think he planned on being put in a refrigerated case and becoming a frogsicle! so i took him home and let him go in the garden:)IMG_0489.jpgIMG_0491.jpgIMG_0490.jpg

Nice little frog, I'd love to find one when I bought Bok Choy!

Just wondering if you identified it first to make sure its natural range was correct for releasing it at your home? (It is a Litoria fallax which does occur in that range by the way, but I hope you checked).

Regardless I advise against the introduction of any frogs to your garden, especially those found in foods in supermarkets as they are the hardest to tell where they came from. There are often local services that will take the frogs and rehome them as pets.

I might have to put my flame suit on here, but is that the right thing to do?? Do you know what speices of frog it is?? Is it local to the area, is it even native??

LOL, Geck you beat me to it, gotta be quick around here.

Just wondering if you identified it first to make sure its natural range was correct for releasing it at your home? (It is a Litoria fallax which does occur in that range by the way, but I hope you checked).

Regardless I advise against the introduction of any frogs to your garden, especially those found in foods in supermarkets as they are the hardest to tell where they came from. There are often local services that will take the frogs and rehome them as pets.
i've seen quite a few of them around the house so i figured he'd be fine to let go here.

Haha I found a garden skink and a huge grasshopper in a coles once :)

he's the nicest stowaway we've found so far...the last one was a red back in the celery!:)

Knowing what type of frog it is and that these are local to your area, I doubt any harm has been done in this case. Even so I would still advise against it in future as the frog could be carrying disease such as Chytridiomycosis (Chytrid kit-rid, fungus) which is a frog specific disease thought to survive only on frogs or within moist areas and water-bodies.
A more minor concern in this case would be the mixing of genetic material that may occur if this frog breeds with others in your yard.

G'day junglelover,

As GeckPhotographer has mentioned, even though your intentions were pure and in good, it really isn't in the frogs best interest AND is potentially very detrimental to local frog species.

No wildlife should ever be released unless its immediate capture location is known, and it can be guaranteed that it won't introduce any pathogens or disease to the present population.

Knowing what type of frog it is and that these are local to your area, I doubt any harm has been done in this case. Even so I would still advise against it in future as the frog could be carrying disease such as Chytridiomycosis (Chytrid kit-rid, fungus) which is a frog specific disease thought to survive only on frogs or within moist areas and water-bodies.
A more minor concern in this case would be the mixing of genetic material that may occur if this frog breeds with others in your yard.
Well said!
Any displaced frog from unknown origin should not be realeased under any circumstances for the exact reason Geckophotographer just stated.
I know you thought you were doing the right thing and for that I applaud you.

Cheers Josh

I didn't think about that...mmmmmm

Haha I used to work in the produce section and we used to get all sorts of frogs (especially in the bananas). I've even heard of people finding snakes

Haha I used to work in the produce section and we used to get all sorts of frogs (especially in the bananas). I've even heard of people finding snakes
its true we had a brown come out of a pallet of bananas , but that was a 1 off mostly just frogs and spiders
had a few cane-toads too....

nawww he was just doing his shopping too! :)

"mmm bok ch___ wait ! wait! put me down!"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back