Horrible Herp Store

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthefish

Reaction score
I went to a really horrific herp store last week in Melbourne- their cages were encrusted with feces, a lot of individuals didn't have water, and some had bowls that were completely dry, and most of their lizard stock was critically underfed, not to mention suffering from a huge range of sores, blisters and shedding problems. My wife has been nagging me to report them to someone for animal cruelty- in people's opinion is it better to call the DNRE or RSPCA?

Ta!

BOTH! That's disgusting whether it be a Store or a Personal Collection and there's no excuse for such poor treatment IMO.

I think you're right NS- I will report to both! They had dozens of blueys- all with their hipbones sticking out, some up to say 3-4 mil above the base of their tail. There was this cage of mixed lizards, and some of them had bites all over them from others in the cage. It was horrid. The worst thing about it was the great range they had- best store I've been to for variety, but you'd be a nut to buy anything from them. They had a big monitor (have no idea what type) in a square cage that was smaller on all sides than he is long.

And the NSW people want the same for themselves :( :roll: :(

but i think its like anything sdaji when u cant have something u always want it more and more untill u get it and than u tihnk to yourself its not whats its cracked up to be.....especially when u have people running pet shops in such a way as this one.......thats my opiinion anyways hehehe :lol:

Before condemning all herp shops and saying thew NSW push is wrong, I saw other stores in Melbourne that were generally ok- Mad About Pets in Ferntree Gully was pretty questionable but ok I guess, and Upmarket Pets had a really good set up. Pet stores in general, not just herp stores, need to be monitored more closely. As bad as that herp store was last week, I saw some aquarium stores (and some big name ones at that) that were MUCH worse. One had a near 3 foot Murray Cod in something like a 5x2x2 aquarium, with nho hiding spots. He'd need ATLEAST an 8x3x3, but really he'd need a large dam, or a comfy river, to be happy.

i was in melb over xmas, and i know EXACTLY who you r talking about.. you forgot to mention the lack of light cages! while i was in there i heard a prospective first time owner being told that the snakes burn scars would go away in no time and sold it full price to boot! the monitor was a full grown lacey which i was told was getting a new enclosure made.. obviously never happened. SICKENING. you are right, great variety, but none of mine will EVER set scale in there! DOB EM IN! Parks and wildlife will get right on em.

I know that there is a really bad one with their herps in bad condition, very dirty. And they have bad problems with mites.
In SE Melbourne suburbs. Dob them in.........if same store.

LOL- that's a different one Koubee- this one's not in SE Melbourne. I forgot about the light cages- you're right. One snake was hanging off a bare bulb.

Why would you go to the trouble of setting up a shop like that and not change the boody newspaper on the floors?

I'll give the DSE a call tommorrow- and let you know what they say!

Re: RE: Horrible Herp Store

Sdaji said:
And the NSW people want the same for themselves :( :roll: :(

I was thinking that same thought :D

That sounds like a terrible pet store. :( Sadly, its places like that, usually the ones with the most known names, that give the smaller shops a bad name. I have often found the bigger the stores the worse condition of their pets. The smaller ones might not have as big a variety, but what they do have, they have more time for. Besides, what they don't have, they most often can specially order in, anyway, which is what I do for my customers. I own a pet shop and I can guarantee all my pets are given top priority care. And if a customer does happen to spot a problem (which doesn't happen very often) I address it immediately.

RE: Re: RE: Horrible Herp Store

I also know the store your talking about and that has to be the worst i have seen but i've been disgusted by most of the reptile pet stores in melbourne. It seems the bigger they are, the less they care for their animals. I reckon if a pet shop holds a comercial license there should be some kind of regular suprise inspections of the conditions the animals are kept in.
Many people get all their information on how to care for reptiles from the shops they bought them, and when they see animals kept that way, it makes it seem acceptable. Its just plain wrong.

Would the petstore in question be located in Narre Warren?

I paid a visit with a few others for the VHS function in May, we also paid visits to various stores in Melbourne. I can tell you now that the store you are talking about is NOT upmarket pets as we were all most impressed with how clean the enclosures were & the quality of the reptiles. We also paid a visit to another store that Iam sure you were talking about & basically we were all most distressed by the conditions (and the entire store looked like a rubbish tip with crap all over the place and you can't even walk in a straight line due to crap everywhere), if you want PM me so we can check it is the same store.

Jason

It seems that this store is know to a few on this Forum. Rather than letting one complain to the authorities,
if all that know of it complain, the complaint may get more notice than a single report.
Dont let this shop tarnish your opinions of all shops.
Luckily the Herp shops I know of in SA look after their animals ok.
Cheers
hendrix

are you allowed to name the store in this post or is this not allowed, as id like to know so i dont go there

also i live at narre warren and the pet shops here arent bad at all, well not that i have noticed

I too live in Narre Warren and the ones here are ok, most times. Th one i refer to from an earlier post is close by to Narre Warren.
Not the best conditions for their bigger snakes.
I'm keeping an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back