Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyTheSnake

Reaction score
No... I don't have 10 species in 1 enclosure!!!

It's just a question.. I mean... how many is too many??

I've always thought that you should only put one species of snake in an enclosure. But then after seeing SlothHead's thread with the pic of the jungle and the adder( I think that's what it was) I had to question it??

Is there any snakes that can safely be housed together?? (Other than vens)

it can be done but i wouldnt do it with snakes but small skinks should be fine in groups of different species in a large tank.

oh geez.. I don't want to do it!! I was just amazed to see that photo, and a little curious to see if it was possible, I suppose some people do house their snakes together, we just don't know about it.

No... I don't have 10 species in 1 enclosure!!!

It's just a question.. I mean... how many is too many??

I've always thought that you should only put one species of snake in an enclosure. But then after seeing SlothHead's thread with the pic of the jungle and the adder( I think that's what it was) I had to question it??

Is there any snakes that can safely be housed together?? (Other than vens)

Who said vens can be safely housed together? Taronga lost 2 of their vens from their main pit due to envenomation by a cagemate.

I couldnt see a problem with keeping tiapans and carpet snakes together. If the animals arnt likely to eat each other and have there own space it would probably be fine most of the time.
Even keeping the same species of snakes together can result in them eating each other.

Melbourne zoo also mixes species on display, usually an aboreal with a terrestrial species like Coastal Taipans with Brown Trees.

Most of the carpet complex can be kept together if you have a large enough enclosure. You just need to be prepared for cross breeding. I know people who keep Olives and Waters together.

:p

Hix

I've never housed snakes together , but there was an article in the GTP Reptiles Aus mag
that mentioned 5 different pythons inhabitting the Iron range national park.
GTP , scrubbies , spotted , water,Carpet.
I would have thought the scrubbies , being arboreal & much bigger would virtually wipe-out the GTP's.
I realise your question was about an enclosure & i've mention a national park , but the thought sprang to mind.

Thanx Natrix:D... and everyone for your veiws.
I supose it's one of those ""yeah you can but you really shouldn't"" type deals!!

I'll just stick to separate enclosures.:D

I remember seeing that at the Canberra trip ! That Jungle was so pretty too

believe it or not but a well fed olive with tree frogs. i also went to this birds place the other day and in one 3 foot enclosure there was a heap of juvies together........a woma ,a mac , 2 olives, a water , and a few carpets (some people just shouldnt keep herps)

Okay.... flame suit on here we go:lol:

I keep 2 Eastern Blueys and a Bearded Dragon together at the moment. It is only temporary whilst i finish the Beardies enclosure but they get along fine. Beardie climbs around whilst the blueys stay low (except for Buddah who thinks he's spiderman sometimes:D) They even eat together without any dramas and then all go to the heat lamp and digest..

Not snakes but it seems to work okay for them..

Ben

Attachments

• feeding.jpg
    feeding.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 28
it can be done but i wouldnt do it with snakes but small skinks should be fine in groups of different species in a large tank.

No not really, the smaller skink species I've kept can be very aggressive intraspecifically, mixing species would be disasterous in a captive situation (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back