1080 concerns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have just recently received a notification that the NPWS are beginning a fox baiting program in my local national park. They don't say when they doing it just sometime during May and June. (possibly already been done).

I am concerned that the Lace moniter population will suffer as well as other wildlife (carrion eaters) that inadvertidly gets poisoned. Ie birds etc. Is there some other form of controlling foxes, other than laying sodium flouroacetate which compounds remain active even in the carcass of a dead animal?

I have just recently received a notification that the NPWS are beginning a fox baiting program in my local national park. They don't say when they doing it just sometime during May and June. (possibly already been done).

I am concerned that the Lace moniter population will suffer as well as other wildlife (carrion eaters) that inadvertidly gets poisoned. Ie birds etc. Is there some other form of controlling foxes, other than laying sodium flouroacetate which compounds remain active even in the carcass of a dead animal?
This goes on more than you think, a couple of times a year the choppers bait along the ridges behind my place for dogs. Considering the damage foxes and dogs can do to wildlife i guess it's a case of making sacrifices. :cry:

My understanding is that the chances of poisoning birds and reptiles is slim due to the sheer quantity of poisoned meat that would have to be injested. That said, large Varanids can put away a fair quantity in one sitting.

Anyone have access to the CSIRO publishing site? Would be interested in reading the following paper:

The Sensitivity of Australian Animals to 1080 Poison VIII.* Amphibians and Reptiles

JC Mcilroy, DR King and AJ Oliver

Abstract

Amphibian and reptile species that have been tested in Australia are generally more tolerant to 1080 poison than are most other animals. The most common signs of poisoning amongst both groups of animals are a lack of movement or convulsions. Visible signs of poisoning first appeared from 13 h to almost 7 days after dosing. Deaths followed from 15 h to almost 22 days after dosing. It is unlikely that amphibians and reptiles face any direct poisoning risk from pest-poisoning campaigns involving 1080, given their high tolerance and the enormous amounts of poisoned bait that would have to be eaten. Some individuals, however, could be detrimentally affected through ingesting sublethal quantities of 1080.

Australian Wildlife Research 12(1) 113 - 118

Full text doi:10.1071/WR9850113

© CSIRO 1985

Cheers
Jordan

This goes on more than you think, a couple of times a year the choppers bait along the ridges behind my place for dogs. Considering the damage foxes and dogs can do to wildlife i guess it's a case of making sacrifices. :cry:

True, its not the first time they have baited here. I would like to learn some more about its effect on wild life. That paper from csiro that Uro talks off would be great to read.

Hi there, I wouldnt be too concerned about the program. I have been involved in these programs for a number of years with a few state departments. The number of non target species affected is pretty low. The only concern would be keep your dog and cat out of the area treated which should be done anyway.

Been used in NZ for many years to bait possums with very few ill effects to the native populations of birds.

Aussie and NZ are one of only a few countries that still use it.

I know this will sound bad, and not very pleasent. But cant they get a few big game hunters and shoot the foxes, so nothing else dies.

1080 is the best of a whole bunch of less-than-perfect control measures. I believe it was originally found in some WA plants (but is probably now synthesised for commercial use). Because it's a naturally occurring toxin, many (most?) Australian vertebrates (especially WA endemics) have a high tolerance to it. 1080 baiting has been the driving force behind the restoration of a number of critically endangered WA endemic vertebrate populations (womas in Shark Bay, bilbies and numbats in Dryandra Woodlands).

It's not a particularly pleasant death, but you have to weigh up the welfare of a feral pest species (and some possible but improbable native collateral damage) against the survival of a native species.

I'll have a look for those CSIRO articles tomorrow morning if no one else has found them.

Stewart

But cant they get a few big game hunters and shoot the foxes, so nothing else dies.

I think that's a great idea! But it will never happen in National Parks. And it would be so labour intensive that it would end up costing a lot of money for little benefit.

Stewart

Have seen two dogs die to this horrible stuff( after being told none was in the area) Would love to read about any testing done on reptiles and any other non targeted carrion eating animals!

I think that's a great idea! But it will never happen in National Parks. And it would be so labour intensive that it would end up costing a lot of money for little benefit.

Stewart

Hi cement
Are you in sydney?

With the whole shooting debate, if you have ever hunted foxes in the open then you would know it would be impossible to track/hunt them in thick bushland. This is long debated "advice" that is constantly brought up.

I can only speak for the north sydney area, the fox program is undertaken using sand pads at least 1m wide, with the bait buried at least 10cm deep (pest animal guidelines, most natives won't dig this deep). Free feeding(non poison baiting) is done and checked daily, if any non target animals (bandicoots, lace monitors, wallabies, possums etc) have dug the bait up then the station is free fed until a fox takes a bait. If non target species continually take a bait then the station is shut down or moved. Poisoned baits are only laid when a fox has been present.

All baiting is done inconjunction with all other local land managers at the same time. Signage is put out 2 weeks before at all entry points (main ones). People still choose to walk their dogs (off leash) even though they have walked past in some cases, multiple signs.

hope this helps
K

Have seen two dogs die to this horrible stuff( after being told none was in the area) Would love to read about any testing done on reptiles and any other non targeted carrion eating animals!

Sorry, I realise these are probably your pets (or at least someone elses) but to me that indicates that the program is working (after all a fox is merely a dog).

I'm sorry for that persons' loss, but there's some positive out of that to.

Adequate signposting of 1080 is imperative if this baiting is going to work effectively.

Hi cement
Are you in sydney?

With the whole shooting debate, if you have ever hunted foxes in the open then you would know it would be impossible to track/hunt them in thick bushland. This is long debated "advice" that is constantly brought up.

I can only speak for the north sydney area, the fox program is undertaken using sand pads at least 1m wide, with the bait buried at least 10cm deep (pest animal guidelines, most natives won't dig this deep). Free feeding(non poison baiting) is done and checked daily, if any non target animals (bandicoots, lace monitors, wallabies, possums etc) have dug the bait up then the station is free fed until a fox takes a bait. If non target species continually take a bait then the station is shut down or moved. Poisoned baits are only laid when a fox has been present.

All baiting is done inconjunction with all other local land managers at the same time. Signage is put out 2 weeks before at all entry points (main ones). People still choose to walk their dogs (off leash) even though they have walked past in some cases, multiple signs.

hope this helps
K

Hi Kelly,
I am on the central coast, just nth of syd. Thanks for the reply that is a sensible way to do it. And I feel happier about it if they use that method, the sand for tracks is a great idea. Shooting is not viable here, lot of cost for little gain. It is heavily forested with sandstone ridges and plateaus and difficult terrain once off the paths.

It goes as kelly said, with each baiting station is 500m apart and no baits within 500m of houses. The baiting areas will be the boundary tracks and maybe a few internal ones depending on how big the area. Also each baiting station will be marked either tape or spray paint on a tree or fence post, I prefer to use a reflector nailed in place. At Dryandra in WA we just threw the baits out every 100m and with the big reserves we used broad arce baiting, baits thrown out of a plane.

There has got to be a better way than 1080. I find the stuff horrific and to say there are no baits within 500m of houses to be questionable. Foxes & other animals carry the baits away from the stations. I know this to be true as my Shepherd died from 1080 & I can assure you there were no signs anywhere around where she was walked. The way in which she died was absolutely heartbreaking for me & my kids, we couldn't do anything for her. . IMO 1080 is inhumane. I understand that foxes need culling but there must be another option, surely.

Oh forgot to add, in NSW and Vic at the end of the program all uneaten baits will be collected and burnt. As mentioned its a horrible and painful death but its the best option as its very effective, biodegradible, cheap and the majority of natives need to consume many baits to be affected you can tell by looking at the pad what took the bait. I havent seen many baits taken by non target species so deaths would be low.

1080 baiting has been the driving force behind the restoration of a number of critically endangered WA endemic vertebrate populations (womas in Shark Bay, bilbies and numbats in Dryandra Woodlands).

Don't forget the Gilbert's Potoroo - that was a real bonus!

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back