1080 concerns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also consider that this is being carried out in the colder months, when lace monitors (your species of concern) is unlikely to be feeding.

It is a pity that traps arn't a viable option, That way you have an exact visual confirmation of the animals taking baits, then natives can be released and ferals shot at point blank. I know baits are the only cost manageable solution, but poisoning any mammals to death is never quick or easy...

Kakariki, feel free to suggest a better option, were all listening. This 'there has to be a better way' talk is a waste of time.

As much as i hate to see any animal suffer, id prefer a few ferals cop it as opposed to Australia losing any of its endemic species.

Jordan

Again, kakariki's example shows it is working... Horrible for your loss, but a big plus for the target species being accurately destroyed.

shooting them with the help of dogs could be quite effective.

HOw are the dogs going to descriminate between native and introduced.

You still have to get into some of the land they're in.

I agree with Jordo,

I blame 1080 for the massive decrease in numbers of Drop Bears, this will ultimately end up with an increase in American tourists, and they will scare everything away.

I always thought the baits were buried at a certain depth where only foxes or dogs could be bothered/able to dig them up? Thats why native animals weren't affected.... well, according to the signage at some of the parks I've been to.

HOw are the dogs going to descriminate between native and introduced.

You still have to get into some of the land they're in.

I agree with Jordo,
depends on the dog and how well it is trained and disciplined.

Been used in NZ for many years to bait possums with very few ill effects to the native populations of birds.

Aussie and NZ are one of only a few countries that still use it.

Yea im a hunter and walking through the bush there deer stalking we would come across many victims of 1080, not the target species, even carelessly dropped in creeks effecting the drinking water for alot of animals and native trout.
I hate the stuff

Yea im a hunter and walking through the bush there deer stalking we would come across many victims of 1080, not the target species, even carelessly dropped in creeks effecting the drinking water for alot of animals and native trout.
I hate the stuff

From what I hear though, native birds etc are not affected.

Trout are not natives. Deer and goats are not natives. Pigs are not natives. Personally if a few more of those went NZ would be a lot better off!

Go the green gex!

From what I hear though, native birds etc are not affected.

Trout are not natives. Deer and goats are not natives. Pigs are not natives. Personally if a few more of those went NZ would be a lot better off!

Go the green gex!

Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout aren't native but we do have a native trout, wouldnt have a clue what its called, some maori name i think
And i know none of them are native

There's no native trout - in all my years of fishing rivers and the sea I've never heard of a native trout...

I think what you're thinking of is a giant galaxid.

Oh, I just googled it haha... they do call it a native trout.. but i am fairly sure they're not related - though a photo makes it look like a rainbow trout :)

But I believe they're not related as trout are from the salmon family :)

Any of the non-native trouts being killed is just another bonus for NZ species.

they call it kokopu and theres 3 species
theres the Shortjaw, giant, and banded kokpu, they are only small
heres a pic of one
looks closer to a brown than a rainbow to me?

Attachments

• giantkokopu.jpg
    giantkokopu.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 25
I doubt the victims would of been collected and dropped in the water. I would also suggest that if you do find non target kills to report it to the local office they will look into it and if needed modify the program. A bait station wont be within 500m of a house or farm shed thats part of the restrictions in place but as someone said a fox can take a bait within this zone thats why they notify landholders so you can restrict your dogs movements.

........ Is there some other form of controlling foxes, other than laying sodium flouroacetate which compounds remain active even in the carcass of a dead animal?

If there was another way, they'd be doing it already. How is it they so easily created a disease which destroys rabbits but does not effect any other animal yet they can't come up with a solution to other feral problems.

not victims in the water, 1080 in the water
and they are all reported but you only ever here of it in the hunting magazines with hunters sending in photos and stuff
D.O.C and the government dont want the public knowing theyl have to much protests
why do you think its been banned in every country but NZ and Aus?

I would understand with other countries banning 1080 as their natives dont have the resistance like australian natives. The active compound in 1080 is found in the berry of a family of plants only found in australia. So I could understand why NZ may have more non target kills than here. Without using 1080 especially in WA we would certainly have loss more species. When something better comes along Im sure we will it but right now 1080 is the best and most effective tool if used within the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back