1080 concerns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would understand with other countries banning 1080 as their natives dont have the resistance like australian natives. The active compound in 1080 is found in the berry of a family of plants only found in australia. So I could understand why NZ may have more non target kills than here. Without using 1080 especially in WA we would certainly have loss more species. When something better comes along Im sure we will it but right now 1080 is the best and most effective tool if used within the law.
It's primary use in NZ it to kill possums that were introduced from aus. Obviously they are not resistant

In the USA they don't use 1080, they use cyanide powder. When mixed with water, cyanide gas is given off. Trials here have seen wild dogs make it a maximum of 12 metres from a bait station....now thats a quick death.......so, any volunteers to load up baits.....

It's primary use in NZ it to kill possums that were introduced from aus. Obviously they are not resistant
It all comes down to the animals lethal dose. I didnt say it wont kill a possum, it will just require a possum to eat more 1080 than a dog would have to eat to kill it. So yer a possum is more resistant. Ive heard stories of using that gas. I cant remember the gas we use on rabbit warrens but we had to wear masks and added a colour so we could see it.

A few years ago whilst working up in Darwin, I had a mate who had worked as a Ranger for the NT Government. We were talking about 1080 one day and he said he has seen a study and subsequent report that was done about the effects of 1080 on native wildlife. It said: Where 1080 is originally from (WA) the incidence of poisoning native animals with 1080 baits is minimal, however, when used in other parts of Australia where 1080 is not a natural part of the environment, most native animals had not built up a natural resistance and subsequently died when 1080 was ingested. Other animals with a naturally good resistance to 1080 (both in WA and other parts of the country) when ingesting repeated doses of the poison 1080, the poison had a cumulative effect and these animals also died. He went on to say that the amount of native animals that died as of 1080 poisoning is very large, however, at this time 1080 is the best option for controlling an introduced species causing large damage to the native animal population.
This report was kept internal as of the obvious outcry if made public.

Some people have said there must be a better option. I would imagine like most things there definitely would be a better option. Unfortunately it comes down to Government funding to find that option. And whilst at this time there is no major campaign from Australian Voters for a healthier environmental alternative, 1080 baits and the subsequent deaths will continue.

Now, if only that report could be made public.........

not victims in the water, 1080 in the water
and they are all reported but you only ever here of it in the hunting magazines with hunters sending in photos and stuff
D.O.C and the government dont want the public knowing theyl have to much protests
why do you think its been banned in every country but NZ and Aus?

You do realise goats, deer, pigs, dogs, humans, ferrets, stoats, guinea pigs, rabbits, sheep, cows blah blah blah - any mammal except a fruit bat and a seal are all introduced into NZ. And rightfully so about the public not giving a rats. Deer do more damage to our forests than almost any other creature (possums excluded). They're absolutely feral!

So as soon as the public get up in arms over killing 'innocent' deer will be the time we stop caring about NZs natural wildlife - which incidentally is mostly birds, frogs, gex, skinks and insects. Say bye bye to the rest.

And i'd also like to add that I know the net says that 1080 is virtually banned throughout the world, I am sure there's more than NZ and Aus using 1080.

Plus... :) from all the studies that i can read, they appear to support the use of 1080.

www.forestandbird.org.nz/dawnchorus/1080/1080_FAQ_july2007.pdf

I am absolutely sure Forest and Bird do not bow down to NZ govt or any of the large manufacturers of pesticides. I would probably trust their judgement.

They do elude to previous unacceptable levels of native deaths, but that has been well managed now.

Go the 1080 for as long as it states it is working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back