10mth old spotted python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soneills

Reaction score
hi,
I am a concerned owner of a 10 month old spotted python (ive had her since she was 3 months old.) who was due for her a feed 3 weeks ago however she doesn't seem to want to eat. I have tried offering her food regularly since then.

Is this a problem and how long can she go without.

The temperature in her enclosure is at 30 degrees and she has just shed her skin on friday the 2nd nov.

She also has only just had a health check about 4 weeks ago and everything was fine.

I have also noticed that she is spending alot of time over on the cool side of her enclosure.
can some one help with suggestions
thankyou
sam

Have you tried since the shed taking place?

I wouldnt be too worried about it.

has it eaten since you bought it? if she is spending alot of her time over the cool side, its possible it might be just a little hot in there but 30 degrees sounds ok, how big is the enclosure its in. does she have places to hind so it feels safe? snakes can go a long time without eating, its possible she isnt just hungry and wont eat until she is hungry. id keep trying every couple of days to a week but if her condition starts to turn bad then you will wanna do something about it but i wouldnt be too worried yet, as long as she is healthy and assuming she is due to the vet check she could go a fair while without eating. have you tried bumping the food against her head, scenting the food, that sort of thing?

hi again
i have tried feding nearly everyday since the shed but all she seems to do is slither over the food and just ignores it.

what are you trying to feed her?. your temps seem ok, maybe 32 degrees. and maybe try to tempt feeding once a week.
jmo.
good luck.
cheers:)

2nd attempt to reply to southy
I dont know if my last message got through.
shes eaten once a week since i bought her.all this started 3 weeks ago..
her enclosure is 1 meter long by 30 cm wide and she has a hide box at the heat end and a hide box at the cool end.

hi
she was on pinkie mice then fuzzys and now weaners but shes only been on the weaners for about 4 - 6 weeks.
sam

yeha i wouldnt panic about it, not uncommon for them to do things like this for no overly obvious reason.

i wouldnt be too concerned about it, leave her alone for a week and dont offer anything, and then try, try leaving the mouse in overnight.

If not gone, leave it another week or so and try again.

dont get to worried about it though

Thankyou SlothHead & every one else
Muchly appreciated advise
thankyou

Soneills - She would have stopped feeding coming into her shed - this is perfectly normal - most snakes will stop going into a shed...

...since then, she may still be stressed as she is being harassed with a feed every day. Try and leave her alone for a week or so then try again - also, possibly try bumping the hot spot up to about 32*c...

...and three weeks is nothing, I have a Diamond that has gone about 4mths (he's getting over an RI)...

Simon

mine did that for a few weeks then one night i left the rat in over night and it was gone in the morning.

Yay, glad your Stimmie had a meal! :D

My spotty had a fast in winter - her choice. I was offering food once a fortnight, but she just wasn't interested. If your snake doesn't eat for a while, make sure it's not losing condition. Other than that, you don't need to worry.

Oh, and extra heat helps encourage appetite and helps the snake metabolise food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back