11 week old spencers monitor not eating!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcgt

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have tried cutting up pinkies, there is always crickets and woodies on offer. all he seems to do is nudge the pinkies around (i get home from work and they've moved)
He has clean water, a temp range from 40c at the hot end to 22-25c at the cold end. and plenty of hides. Basking temp of 50 - 55c.

Unless he is grabbing the occasional cricket and/or woodie he has maybe eaten 2 pinkies in the last week....

Any ideas????

i wouldnt be worried only after a few weeks i would be worried, just winter they tend to slow down, the temps could be higher, but yeh they tend to slow down throughout winter regardless of temps, i wouldnt be worried.
hope this helps.

ah ok awesome..... it did cross my mind, but i figured he is in his constant temp enclosure so he wouldn't notice.... but like us i suppose they have a body clock.....
Thanks mate, you have put my mind at ease!

Spencer's Monitors have an extremely high requirement for heat. Especially being young, I would make sure you're basking temps are no less than 70oC directly below the globe. Then allow a thermal gradient between the highest basking temp point and the coolest end of the enclosure.

It may be as a result of lower ambient temps due to Winter but being young, I would still raise the temps/wattage of your globe.

Really i was told to lower it by another member, i had it around 65c.... i just put a lower rock in there...

Well you can obviously do whatever you like but if it were in my care, it would be getting a temperature boost as soon as possible.

You were given good advice in the other thread mate , maybe just back off, stop trying to feed your monitor with tongs, and give it a rest. It may just need a break from your attentions. Good luck

I haven't tried to feed him with tongs, i was just surprised someone had managed to at only 4 months old. my little guy is terrified of everything so i avoid even opening the tank without him being under one of his hides. and i cover up the front with a sheet most of the time.

spencers

hey bud

i keep my spencersat around 70 degrees at hot end. 40 is too low for them as the love heat.

does he have any hollow logs to hide? I feed mine cut up chicken legs instead of pinkies. Also i sure fire way ive discovered is to offer them chicken or turkey mince. They seem to love it

any other questions feel free to pm me

Cheers Nick

Sounds like you are all over it :) I wouldnt be too worried at this stage

just saying that mine is around 4 months and eats of tongs with no trouble, will even clawn on my arm for food, it depends on the individual, im also target training him, as with most my monitors it make the big ones much easier to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back