16 year old died from shark attack!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh sad news.As a spearfisher i lived at brokenhead for 4 years and that area is very sharky.My flatmate and his mates are all still up there and have been knocked of there boards by sharks but never been touched thankfully,they know what they are in for when they hop in the water and so do I.All the beaches around ballina have been closed.That isnt the only shark in the ocean.Its mistaken identity most of the time.Still much safer swiming then walking down the highway.

Regards MatE

it's very sad but i hate it when people use stuff like this as an excuse to go kill sharks
i mean we were in the ocean which is there home

they are actually in high numbers so killing a few will have no effect at all on the popuation. and it keeps the paranoid idiots happy. you have to keep in mind that the areas tourism may have a lot to do with the beaches etc.so something like this happening could do a lot of damage.

Last edited:
Humans are quite high in numbers so how about we get rid of a few of them, it definately won't have an effect on the population. oh no thats right..ethics.
Humans are so self-rightous. It's all about us us us.

they are actually in high numbers so killing a few will have no effect at all on the popuation. and it keeps the paranoid idiots happy. you have to keep in mind that the areas tourism may have a lot to do with the beaches etc.so something like this happening could do a lot of damage.

Are u for real so if a elapid kill's a human we should go kill a few of them to keep as u say the paranoid idiots happy

Humans are quite high in numbers so how about we get rid of a few of them, it definately won't have an effect on the population. oh no thats right..ethics.
Humans are so self-rightous. It's all about us us us.

Couldn't agree more us humans are the stupidest animals on the earth well at least the most selfish

Lewy

I heard on the radio that people blame the government as it was a strike and thats the wreason why he was killed :(

Poor guy :(

yeah i heard that too nikki!
they were saying that its the schools fault because there was a teachers strike on and he didnt go to school and went surfing instead....
what a joke!

Yeah that is pretty wrong..... Even if school was on that day, and the surf was good, he would of been out there regardless..... I know every other little grom is out there on week days :lol:

There has been amazing amounts of bait fish here in Ballina, the water in the river looks like rapids! Just bait fish everywhere.... So id say they are attracting the sharks.... The water is very merky from the heap of rain we've had too... I've actually caught a hammer head shark out of the river here, I'll see if i can find a pic and post it up later :)

Are u for real so if a elapid kill's a human we should go kill a few of them to keep as u say the paranoid idiots happy

Couldn't agree more us humans are the stupidest animals on the earth well at least the most selfish

Lewy

elapids avoid people sharks on the otherhand come in to beaches to feed . they are everywhere and at times will become game enough to not fear humans.

Poor guy. Is always so much worse when it's someone that young. But that is exactly why i NEVER swim in the ocean!!!!!!!!!!! I know i am more likely to die in car accident on the way to beach, but i think i'd prefer that!

But at the same time i'm not the kind of person who wants them all killed because they occasionally attack people. It's a risk that has to be accepted if one wants to enjoy the water.

more people are killed by teddy bears each year than by sharks. no, this is not a flip remark

Yeah i couldnt agree with u more Sarah, if u swim in the ocean its the risk u take. Would be such a bad way to go, poor guy.

They said this about he great white and grey nurse years ago and looked what happened. Some of the biggest hunters of these beautiful creatures are now almost hypocritical in the fact they preach their beauty and protection. Ron & Valery Taylor and Ben crop are two which spring to mind.

Killing a few will have no effect??? If it is a great white, please realise that this animal has an very low reproductive rate. Males don't reach sexual maturity until around 8-10 years of age and females are thought to mature when around 18 years old. Throw in the fact that they are thought to only reproduce once every 2-3 years then you can see why only "killing a few will have no effect on the population" is an ridiculous and ignorant blanket statement.

The biggest plague to ever have devasted plant earth is the human race

Last edited:
The biggest number of people each year are actually killed by cars........most dangerous things them..............let's campaign to eliminate cars, there's be far more people left alive at teh end of each year!!!!

Seriously, I suppose this means that every gung-ho cowboy and his dog, so to speak will be out there shooting at anything that moves in the water, it's what usually happens, and there lies the biggest tragedy.

If we are in their environment, we should respect their 'territory', and the fact that they are there, you choose to go out in the water, you have to understand there can be consequenses. Tragic or otherwide, it will happen, and it will always happen as long as people enter the water, sharks have no idea that humans are such "valuable" creatures, to them, we are MEAT, that's all it equates to, and as far as they are concerned, meat means a meal, no matter the source.

Having said this however, my sympathies lie with the poor lads family who has lost a son/brother, who will never see him grow up or celebrate any more special occasions with him, there will always be a void there for them. Also to his mate who pulled him out of the water, it was an unbelievably heroic act, and I hope he is awarded a medal for it, but this poor lad will have to live with what he saw and experienced on that day for the rest of his life, no medal will make that any better, nor will it bring his mate back. Hang in there son, you have the whole country behind you in support.

WHAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND IS ...........we live in an enviroment that we seem to think as humans we rule.so while we are swimming at our local watering hole wether its a beach ,river ........we expect that anything that can harm us should stay away.......we build houses and take away homes for our reptiles and the 1st thing humans want to do is KILL that brown snake that has come into my home.....yet when we step into their home we still want to kill them ? talk about wanting your cake and eating it too ....if you want a completely sterile non invasive of animal kind what so ever go live in a concrete high rise say on the 30th floor with your pokey little balcony and smoldering hazey views of city life...otherwise GET OVER IT AND ACCEPT IT ......RBB

more people are killed by teddy bears each year than by sharks. no, this is not a flip remark

Go on.......tell us then.....Ive been sat here for the past half hour trying to work out how someone gets killed by a teddy bear ( Do they choke on the polyester filling?);)

i came to the conclusion they must somehow suffocate on them moreliaman....... prehaps squished by one?

and this is all over the news, blaming teachers for his death and so on. poor kid. and his mate to, such a brave thing for him to do. redeyegirl lay off the drugs and stop bring ridiculous.

poor kid,
if i was his mate i would commit suicide........RIP mate.

I am sorry if this offends but that is probably the most stupid ignorant comment I have ever read on here......

My thoughts are with his family and friends. And I only hope that I have a friend like his in my life.....amazing kid that one.

elapids avoid people sharks on the otherhand come in to beaches to feed . they are everywhere and at times will become game enough to not fear humans.

Thats not a very good comparison at all.

On more than one occasion ive had small bronze whaler sharks harass me
in the water (off shore reefs) for my fish, should i of turned around and speared
it because it didn't fear me...?
Or kill any elapid that i encounter on my property that doesn't seem to fear me
either.... fair go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back