1st time owner of Levis Levis questions =^.^=

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmissrazz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey hey!! Im getting my 1st gecko this Thursday, Enclosure it setup with heat mat going, food is well probably running around in its tub lol But i do have a few questions, The gecko I'm getting is a smooth knob tail and he is 7 months old, Now is he still considered a juvie?? I mean what are the age brackets for geckos from baby to adult?? This has always confused me lol He will be getting fed baby woodies in a shallow dish that has a strip of fluron around the top to stop escapees, I also have mini mealies, is it ok to give him mealies for a treat every once in a while?? I have calcium and vit powder, how often should i be dusting his food with these?? I currently keep beardies & Netties so I just want to pretty much know everything! lol What is breeding age for these guys?? I read somewhere 8 months and was like whoa that young. And I get that they only eat live food, but other than woodies, crix and odd mealie, is there anything else these guys like?? Thanks it advance guys!! ~Rach =^.^=

I just recently got a pair of central beardies and within 2 days I had them eating dead crickets from tongs, I simply freeze the tub of crickets and defrost when needed by putting them in warm water for a minute, getting to feed this way is great as you can the leave food items in a bowl if away for a day or two without the worry of your food nibbling on your gecko whilst it sleeps!
As for calcium and vit regime, I give them calcium every 2nd day and vit once a week and always had healthy gex and dragons!

Hey there :)
I bought my very first gecko (also a smooth knob-tail) on Saturday & didn't have the slightest idea on how their husbandry worked. But the guy I bought the levis off was really helpful as well as my own personal research;
As a very basic enclosure these gecko's can be housed on kitchen paper-towel as an extremely basic substrate, as long as they are provided with hiding rocks & a water dish.

I'm keeping my levis in a 1.5ft glass tank with 3 or so inches of red desert sand as a substrate, these geckos don't jump, they burrow so they are happier when provided with fine sand. I also have drift wood in there for him to burrow underneath & hiding tunnels.
A water dish is beneficial, but it is also good to mist the tank with water to provide humidity & moisture, also good to spray the gecko as well so they can lick the water off.
Also good to provide a temperature gradient, one side warm & the other cool; you can do this by putting a heat mat on one side of the tank & mist the other side twice a week.

I will feed him three crickets three times a week, one of the times the crickets will be dusted with calcium & vitamin powder.
You can also feed woodies & meal worms.

I really only know about the husbandry, not the breeding ages & such.. hope this helps a little bit :) best of luck!

Hey there lilmissrazz,
Grats on your new addition. You will find there is varying opinions on feeding schedules when to dust when not to. So what I will do is just impart what I know works for me in a hope others will do the same and then you can pick and choose the information you need and see what works for you.

I feed 2-3 times a week and dust two out of the 3 days, I only feed crix as I find they catch them easier and I breed them with so they are more cost effective for me. Substrate as mentioned in the above post is best to be fine sand (washed) with a temp gradiant (but you would know about temps if you keep beardies). From what I gather they are juvies until about 1 year of age then they are concidered an adult, but again this may vary on peoples different opions.

I can suggest if you havent already that you get hold of a copy of keeping and breeding Australian lizards by mike swan either from your local libary or purchase it. It is a fantastic reference guide. Hope this helps and gl with your new addition.

I will feed him three crickets three times a week, one of the times the crickets will be dusted with calcium & vitamin powder.
You can also feed woodies & meal worms.

how old is ur gecko?
iv always fed my geckos alot more than 3 crickets in one sitting.....????

Funny you should mention the mike swan book!! teehee I have a copy coming in the mail!! Thanks for everyones help guys!! Cant wait to get the lil tyke!!

how old is ur gecko?
iv always fed my geckos alot more than 3 crickets in one sitting.....????

He's one year old.. I am only feeding him like this as that was what he's used to from his previous owner; how much do you feed yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back