Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope the dog lives
i love dogs (especially Kelpies) for their loyalty and i do believe it was trying to protect the woman.
BUT! i also think it was the woman who sprung the snake and instead of rearing up at her i bet it just looked up and she would have screamed and ran causing the dogs to come and as the snake took off frightened out of its mind looking for a way to get away when the dogs got to it.
i dont believe the stories that browns chase people, some just happen to head in the direction of the person either because its the quickest way out, they know of a better place to hide that way, or because they know they scare us and if the move towards us we will leave....

but yea thats just my opinion :D

do browns "chase" you unprovoked

No but it dosnt have to be provoked intentional or even by anything you are aware of. Funny how the snake went from her saying it was over 6' to being over 2m. Perhaps her dog got bitten playing in the yard and she just made up a plausible story.

Im fairly sure brown snakes have killed ppl in around 10 minutes before, so my bet is she would have made it to the steps in that time. Im fairly sure it can cause a brain clot/hemmorage or something to kill you quick. Even with first aid they can still kill you.

I've seen King Browns at 2 meter before, but not very common.
After it left we got out the tape measure and measured the area that it was in and it was definitely 2 meters.

G'day Josh,

Where did you see the King Brown? The only reason I ask is that they don't exist anywhere near Beaudesert, but you are lucky enough to be in one of the few spots where you get Coastal Taipans.

Really? Maybe I should look them up then, I always thought they were King Browns.

Could you please send me some info on King Browns location and Coastal Taipans location and stuff?
I've looked on google but I don't seem to come up with much.
Is their a difference between a King Brown and an Eastern Brown?

Last edited:
G'day mate,

You won't get King Browns until you get atleast 2, probably 3 hours west of where you are, and then they are very scarce until you get a bit north west of Goondiwindi.

Taipans are very secretive, elusive snakes that are rarely seen.

they should drop the name "king brown" altogether and call them mulga snakes or
Pseudechis australis ,which makes it part of the blacksnake family
eastern brown has nothin to do with Kingbrown

An Eastern brown was accidently squished by a large front end loader moving rubble near the creek that runs at the back of the Tullamarine Cleanaway facility(toxic dump). when they lifted it up( after a couple of minutes of poking) it was taller (longer)than the driver who is 6 foot 1. Most of the sighted ones there are smaller.

depends on the womans distance from the snake the strike range is around 3 feet circumferance and taking into account the size the bigger the more chance of completing that strike range and also take into account that when they strike most times they will move forward as well not stayed coiled and only use the top of their body to strike they want to get away ...in saying so when i talk to people who ask me about that i tell them in a 3 foot distance you are at most risk further then that away your safe to take a foot back then run and they wont come at you ...but in that 3 foot stand still call for help if you can if on own move inch by inch back as slow as a snail watching the snake at all times and wait a few seconds after moving slightly to see the responce of the brown snake .peoples biggest snake mistake is MOVEMENT you can scream on top note it wont hear you ,you can move VERY MINUTLY SLOW and have a positive chance of getting away unharmed but move rapidly and you have a loaded gun pointing at you ...remember if you are faced with a snake like the brown in your garden and can get access to a hose spray the snake in the face they dont have eyelids so hate being sprayed in the face they can be moved by doing this with no actual harm being done to the animal and take into account that you can be at a safe distance from the animal ......just a few tips hope this does help and it is possible a 2 mtr brown most I come across is around 5 to 6 but nothing is impossible my only hate is when i have to get them out of hay sheds cause they may have seen 1 in there but like crocs there could be many .....redbellybite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back