24 beardies from Nth QLD - UPDATE!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beknluke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Well, after reading (and hearing :lol: ) zoe's updates on Nymph, I figured that it was probably about time that I updated you all on the '24 from QLD saga' ;)
Ok, well, for starters, they all have names :D I tried to stick with the phonetic alphabet since that provided me with 26 names, and when I didn't like the name, I changed it to something more suitable that started with the same letter/sounded a bit more feminine or masculine :lol:
They are as follows:

Alpha - had back leg amputated but still thinks he's a spunk. Amputation is healing up quite well, eating like a pig, gorgeous soft yellow in colour
Brava - breathing through her mouth regularly and we thought it may have been an infection. Has a cripple front foot from an old break. Eating like a champion and is more or less healthy. Gorgeous orange and sometimes goes red.
Charlie - had a whole side of her face black and a huge lump on her chin. Also has lots of dead toes on her front feet. The whole side of her face scabbed up and came off!!! She has a lot of whity pink scar tissue there now but has working eyelids and a clear nostril. The lump on her chin is not believed to be an infection - just very 'over reactive scar tissue'. The vet refers to her as the 'ugly sister' lol, poor pumpkin!! Toes are slowly falling off and the stumps are healing up well! Colour unknown...
Delta - had her right front leg amputated, a lump under her vent, a bad eye and some scabs on her face. Ok, well, she laid 2 nasty looking eggs so that lump on her vent is GONE and apart from some saggyness and some scar tissue, her bum looks much better! Scabs came off her eye and again - another lot of perfectly functional eyelids were hiding under there!! Her leg had to be amputated again :( the vet in QLD was stupid enough to use dead skin to fold over the amputation and it killed the tissue. The new amputation is doing well. She eats like a horse and damn can she move fast!! :lol: I have found which pic was of her from the seller originally - she's a light mustard yellow in colour!!
Echo - bad eye. After a bath by Zo a few weeks back, the scabs came of and SURPRISE!! Perfect (though scarred) eyelids underneath!! She is related to Alpha - I can tell cos she's just started shedding and she's STUNNING!! I have just discovered that she is gravid tonight.
Foxtrot - gangrene, scabbed up face, way too much infection. Well, all of the gangrene has actually come away from the healthy tissue which is great - though it was a huge shock that night when she was squirming in my hand and all of a sudden I had half a foot lying in my palm!! The huge scabs have come off her face though it hasn't been quite as much of a success as Charlie and Echo. Her skin keeps trying to grow over her eye :( So there's a small slit there - enough that it just accommodates her pupil and that's about it, but I have to keep up all of the creams and wipe away any skin that tries to grow there. The rest of her face is whitish and full of scar tissue :( Oh well, at least she's on the mend?? She's getting Baytril daily and bepanthen over most of her body. She's gone off her food and I am having to force feed her. But some of the nasty looking that were in random places on her body have come away revealing perfect scars underneath :D And the dead toes have all come off. Colours unknown, but her patterns look a lot like Charlies' so they're probably sisters
Gizmo - sore foot and chin. Well, twice now the vet has pulled the sore red scabs off her chin and hopefully this time we'll just get scar tissue. The sore toe has come off, and she laid 5 small infertile eggs when I didn't know she was gravid!! She lost 60g in the process though so I think that she laid more and then ate them :? (It was while I was at work so she laid them on melamine) She's more or less fine now so hopefully won't need to harass the vet in a fortnight. She's a rusty dark orange colour so far.
Halo - sore chin. That sore chin is slowly getting better and I now just have a bit lump of scar tissue there. She probably won't have to go back to the vet next time. I discovered that she was gravid last week and she laid about 9 small infertile eggs in the enclosure. That was a bit disappointing coz she comes up a bright pinky red!!
India - bad eye. This eye is driving me up the wall as it's the only one that isn't showing any improvement - in fact, it got worse!! I have now got her on antibiotics called Vibra Vet at the recommendation of a member here and the vet is looking forward to seeing the results as he has never used it on reptiles. She quite likes it coz it is chocolate flavoured lol. Other than that, she's fine and she's bright orange
Juliet - early gravid and one sore toe. The dead toe has come away and us healing up nicely. Her eggs have not progressed however, and though the number seem to have reduced, if she doesn't either pass them or reabsorb the rest by their next appt, she might have to go under the knife and have them removed rather than run the risk of them rotting in her belly and causing infection. Aside from that, she's fat, healthy and is believed to be white with peach beard and yellow eyes.
Krystal - early brain damage, screwed nostril. Ok, so this one was gasping for air, stumbling around and had a big red fleshy plug in her nose. The plug was removed and has since filled in with scar tissue, the gasping is now occasional and she's no longer stumbling!! Looks as though the brain damage was minor and caught in its early stages and has managed to be reversed!! Yes - you heard right!! Apparently beardies can do this!! I am yet to see her bodys proper colour but her head is UNBELIEVABLE!! Bright orange and yellow STRIPED!!
London - sore chin. He's now perfect. He's vivid orange.
Mindy - She has 2 small skin infections on her belly, laid eggs about a fortnight ago and is in perfect health otherwise. She's bright orange.
Nova - She's fine, nothing was/is wrong with her. She's a red/orange colour, has an attitude and it looks like she's gravid.
Opal - sore chin. The scabs were pulled off again today, and we're hoping that she will just continue to develop the scar tissue. Otherwise she is fit and healthy. Again, another red/orange
Phoenix - sore chin. All scar tissue has healed over and he's now perfect. VIVID orange
Quartz - He had nothing wrong with him to start with. Bright orange with black markings.
Raja - sore toe. That dead toe is coming away slowly, but more sores have been found. Looks like they're healing but I still have to keep an eye on them. We've just discovered that she's gravid. She's rusty orange like Gizmo
Spyke - very sore chin. The dead tissue has all come away from his nose and chin and it appears to be healing slowly. All tissue around his jaw bone seems to be ok. He's orange with lavender markings and a red beard.
Tricky - Had a sore chin but he's fine now. Orange w/ lavender and red.
Yoda (didn't like any 'U' names lol) - he had nothing wrong with him and still doesn't. He's a yellowy colour.
Vega - gangrene, infections, red sores everywhere. Ok, he looks like he's getting better. Gangrene is coming away, dead toes coming off, after scabs were removed there was good scar tissue underneath etc. That goes for the red sores too. Still needs intensive bepanthen, but otherwise he's on the mend. Looks like he might be white w/ patterns under that skin that needs to shed!!
Whiskey - bad eye. He had an infection in his upper eyelid and 2 weeks ago had the whole thing come away!! Poor bugger had this look of shock stuck on his face lol. Fortunately no surgery was required as the lower lid came up and covered the whole eye. Since then, scar tissue has grown and made him a new upper eyelid!! It doesn't move at all, but it's there and is protective. I have to keep and eye on where the skin tries to grow coz it keeps trying to attach to the lower lid, but with a gentle wipe, it's kept under control and it looks like he will be fine! He's white with soft yellowy markings.
Zulu - extremely bad chin. The dead tissue is starting to soften up and come away, but it's all around the chin bone and we're worried that it might leave his jaw exposed, or worse still, the bone could get infected. He's gone on to Baytril daily and constant bepanthen. It looks really red, raw and inflamed and he's not to keen on eating most likely because of the pain. But we're hoping he'll be ok coz he's beautiful... He's orange all over, lavender markings, some yellow and some bright red...

So there you go - that's the update!! I would write more but it's late and I still have to put all their creams on :(
On an up note, I am resigning from my job so, for a little while at least, I will be home to keep an eye on them ;)
Bex

OH!! And I am waiting for a call back from DSE to let me know where the investigation is at in regards to the seller and this whole saga. So please don't ask as I can't give out any futher info at this time. Sorry!!

What an update!! great news though! - For me personally I didn't think the brain - demaged one would pull through (umm Kystal I believe), so I'm stoked she did and doubly stoked for you there'l all getting better. Good luck with the bearded zulu, hope he fights it too and gets better for you.
Cheers,
Dee.

Thats great news, good to see they are doing so well now, and good on ya again for helping them out and being such good examples of excellent reptile keepers.

Thanx guys - I reckon (and I'm hoping!!) that it's all on the up and up from here :)
Sorry that the update was so long lol. But w/ 24 beardies I guess it was destined to drag, and once I start talking about them, I can't stop!! lol. I'm just really proud of them (insert beaming smiley here!! lol)
Night

Congrats on the progress. Very interesting about the brain damage, do you know if there has been studies done on that? It would be interesting to read more. I hope you dont mind, but jeez, how much did the vet bills total?

So far - $950 and there's more to go. I have another follow up appt in 2 weeks, and the two who had the amputations are having their stitches out. But if Juliet doesn't get rid of these eggs, I can see a big bill coming for that!!
Fortunately, I did get half my money back, so this is covering the expenses.
As for the brain damage thing - no idea about studies or whatever, but I was told to be hopeful by Jim Greenwood coz of how they can do it. Mind you, he may have been lying to me for the whole 'positive thinking' thing and THAT'S what worked :? lol

congradulations. it was horibleb to find out what happened to those poor berdies but i am glad that they are coming along well and that they have such a great caring owner.

Good to see that they are coming along so well. I take my hat off to you!! I can't wait to see some updated pics showing their colour though. :wink:

Thanks for the update Bek, it is a very sad list, but pleased to here they are all on the up.
Very angry at the people that sold tem to you, they should at the least have there licence revoked.

Neil

good to hear the news..can't wait for the piccies they sound stunning!

Ok - here are the pics that I was sent from the seller. I did not take these pics, and I know that the seller didn't take some of them either, but they are definately of these beardies.
Just not sure on who's who yet lol

Zulu
photoshoot050.jpg

Zulu and Brava
photoshoot038.jpg

I think this is London
myboys008.jpg

One of the girls - either Mindy, Nova, Opal, someone like that lol
lokicooldude051.jpg

Here's Delta prior to having her front right leg 'chomped' :(
lokicooldude046.jpg

This looks like Halo or Opal
lokicooldude044.jpg

Again, unsure, but female
lokicooldude039.jpg

beardies088.jpg

beardies053.jpg

beardies041.jpg

beardies039.jpg

I think this is Phoenix or London
beardies023.jpg

I think that this might be Gizmo or Raja
beardies15june2005010.jpg

I will take updated pics as they show their nice colours - and as they're healing up.
I guess now you can all see why I bought em...
Bex ;)

hi bex,
no words could really do you justice, you take the herper of the year
award as far as i'm concerned, keep up the great work and i look forward
to getting the chance to buy some hatchlings from you later on from these
great dragons and from a great lady,

cheers,
steve..........

Awwww - thanx hun!!! Thats' so sweet!! I'm all embarassed now!! lol
I will try and take some pics over the next few days of how they're looking now, and hopefully catch a few others in their 'good colours' ;)
Bex

Geez, those are somw really nice pictures! Love the colours and can't wait to see them all get better and colour up.

Great to hear Bec.You know my opinion of the work you're doing with these guys, also the less flattering one I hold of the oxygen thieves that sold 'em to you. If I could give you a medal I would. I cant, so you'll just have to settle for our (mine & the missus) heartfelt admiration. BTW, the little girl we got off you is doing great after her vitamin & calcium shots. She's very lively, and after a slow start yesterday, watching the other pair chase crickets around inspired her to get into it as well. She must have eaten close to 20 on her own. Now we just need to work on getting her rehydrated. Will get some pics to you ASAP.

yeah dont know what else to say that hasnt been said already. awesome stuff bek and Im so glad theyre on the mend. the pics are great too. some amazing colours there.

:cry: :cry:
Hi Guys
Well, I am sorry to announce that I have some bad news.
I have come back from the vet without 2 of the beardies :cry: :cry:
Zulu and Foxtrot had to be put to slee this evening dispite my best efforts to get them better. Zulu's chin got worse (when photobucket is back on line I will post pics) and it looks like the infection had finally spread to the bone.
Foxtrot was loosing a lot of weight even though we were force feeding her nightly and she had more or less given up the fight herself.
Both are happy now in herp heaven and I will miss them more than I can type right now since I can't see the keys through my tears :cry: :cry:
RIP Zulu and Foxtrot, I love you both my babies
Mum xoxo (aka Bex) :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back