24 hr heating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

licky

Reaction score
does 24 hr heating make a snake grow faster?
this along with weekly feeding of appropriate sized food.
because the reason i ask is from several keepers (in reguards to coastals) keep ther heat on 24/7 and seem to be leavin me behind in reguards to length and weight. some of the people i talk to USED to have smaller pythons then i then 6months down the track the python has caught up and by the 12 month has completely surpassed mine pythons in weight and length.
I know what your thinkin "Reptile keeping is not a race etc" thats not the intention of this thread. It just sucks that my coastals are almost 5 and in some cases are smaller then pythons at 2yrs of age. mine are both within the 170-180 mark and a touch under 2 kgs.

you just have to make sure you give your snake the option to cool it self if it wants to have a cool end as well as a hot end

jason

Im no expert but one reason people may deicide to heat 24/7 is because it would be really hard to replicate the exact natural habitat, including the variables such as climate, type of landscape, temperature, snake behavior etc So its is probably safer just to replicate the more preferred conditions of the animal

I think the feeding frequency has a lot to do with the growth rate. My spotted was growing much faster when i was feeding her weekly.

It is also safer to give them the option of the ideal temperature because it provides the right conditions for enzyme activity. The wrong temperature can create digestion problems, thus hot and cool end

Isn't this just power feeding?
It's a sure way to reduce the overall health & life span of your snake.

I think my sarcasm sensor is on its way out; were you joking?

Nope i wasnt joking, i was under the belief that over fed snakes, may have the head out of proportion to there body- a large body with a smaller, stunted head ( sometimes referred to as pin heads)

I don't think untouchables was joking. I think there is a widespread view by the gurus that power feeding a python will increase the body growth much more than the head growth - hence the 'pinhead' descriptor.

I heard that the bones of the skull develop a lot slower then the skeleton of the body, so the head cant keep up with the growth rate of the body

I heard that the bones of the skull develop a lot slower then the skeleton of the body, so the head cant keep up with the growth rate of the body

sounds like a newbie reaching the dreaded APS self proclaimed guru stage again

there has been no link between powerfeeding and issues with snakes when the proper husbandry requirements have been met , many people will feed regulary to promote growth

Ah you read it on here, it must be true then. :)
Kupper, yes I agree. There is always someone ready to promote their own view to the exclusion of any other regardless of having any evidence to support their theory.

are you kidding or do you really believe what your saying? im yet to see a growing snake, well any snake that has this supposed pin head from being over fed

thank you someone with sence finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back