7 month old jungle - shedding eating etc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raebiez

Reaction score
I got a 3 month old jungle python from a lady who could only tell me "it shed and due for a feed"
I read up on everything as much as I could on the internets but a lot of it conflicts. So now confused.

For fears of feeding her something too big ive been feeding her pinky mice and when I took her to the pet shop to get foodi got told shes underfed because her body is supposed to be round and full shaped and her body is arch shaped. Shes about 70cm long and has shed once after I got her and not again in nearly four months.
Tomorrow will be her first feed of a pinky rat. As suggested by the pet shop man.

Will she shed once I bulk up her feeding?
How big is too big food? Been told 1 and 1/2 her thickest bit but then told she'll eat anything if its too big she'll reject or throw it up.
Also shes wicked cage defensive but calm when I handle her. Anyway to work it out of her to allow me to get her out of the tank with all digits in piece?

Can't help you with that sorry but my stimsons is already on fuzzies and he is only 45cm long... If she isn't shedding regulary it means her body isn't growing... So I would up her food.

you should probably be feeding her on pinky rats, then move on to fuzzies if she can/wants to take them (i moved mine to fuzzies when they got to enthusiastic during feeding and started squeezing pinkie goo all over their enclosures :-/

She needs bigger food items. Also you shoulfnt take her to the pet shop with you.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. I assumed she'd shed if I feed her more. She just never seems interested in eating more.
And I took her to the pet shop to see the "reptile expert" there. We dont go out late night or out on the weekends shopping or anything. Just took her to get some advice.

Thanks guys. I assumed she'd shed if I feed her more. She just never seems interested in eating more.
And I took her to the pet shop to see the "reptile expert" there. We dont go out late night or out on the weekends shopping or anything. Just took her to get some advice.
if on mice stay on mice till u get some weight on it... Try hopper or weeners... Prob won't take rat

Ive read they dont like switching to rats. Ill definitely get some back up mice incase she doesn't take it. Thanks :)

Pinky mice should never be fed to any carpet python hatchling. WAY too small and full of nothing, I'm not surprised your snake is malnourished.

If you did the correct research beforehand you'd know that feeding it food items so small is far more detrimental to its health then something 1/4 - 1/2 of its body weight on an appropriate time schedule.

Get some digital scales, weigh your snake then feed it 15-20% of its bodyweight every week or two if you want to feed it properly.

I must ask, does your snake also have correct temps?

I started feeding pinkys as thats what the seller told me she was eating.
The only thing that kept repeating itself on online fact sheets and such was dont feed over 1 and a half of her width. I guess I was WAY to cautious about feeding her too big meals.

Her hot side temps range from 29-30 and cool side around 24.

I started feeding pinkys as thats what the seller told me she was eating.
The only thing that kept repeating itself on online fact sheets and such was dont feed over 1 and a half of her width. I guess I was WAY to cautious about feeding her too big meals.
Warm side 30-33 be better and try get cool Side couple deg higher than u have
Her hot side temps range from 29-30 and cool side around 24.
bump warm and cold up a couple degs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back