A DIFFERENT substrate question :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Eggs beginning to produce fruit, bubbling little orifices in the shells, the occasional glimpse of a neo natal head...... OH DAMN, what about substrate? What is the best to use under new borns? I am concerned about the remaining yolk sack drying out and sticking to the enclosure / substrate and ripping the innards out of the hatchie when it starts struggling to get free. Is this a valid concern or am I just worrying about nothing and being an idiot? Anyone with the initials B S need not reply to the bit about about me being an idiot as I already know their answer :)
Thanks in advance guys, rather urgent questiion at the moment :)

yeah, i'd use paper towel on hatchies, a lot of other breeders use it.

Paper towel. They should completely resorb the yolk before they leave the egg. If they don't, dampen the towel to prevent it sticking. If you have access to it use hypotonic saline to dampen the towel, otherwise use water.

No advice here, just BIG congrats Afreak'n!!

f@rk you africa oops i replied i recommend sand so they can eat it and it sticks to them if not use nothing on the floor for the first fortnight or so or paper towl

so ponies dont like sand ya use sand so it hurts the babie snakes babies cant eat ponys unless it is a pony fetus like 1 week old

I wasn't aware that Greebo was a smoker?

Settle BS. :)

hahahahaha I love this site!!! You all should smoke then there would be no nasties!! :twisted:

LOL I am just thinking, lot of nature birds eat sand and pebels to digest they food better and that do not have ill efect on them. It is for sure that snake swalowing pebel or bit of sand will suffer? After all they are mostly calcium and silica, and if not digested they can be disposed same way as fur.
Mind you I have no idea what I am talking about, just came to me. I am using newspaper in all cages.

Thanks guys but before I read all your helpful replies, especially the one from BS, I had them on BC! Any disadvantages to this medium that you know of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back