A few days up the Finnis River

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any pics of the freshwater rays?

Nup, afraid not, they shoot under the boat at high speed. I only took the camera on one day- we got no keepers at all. The other 2 days without the camera we got heaps!

Nice one Steve!

The only time i'll never ever help someone in need is when a turkey gets themself bogged on the beach. It's a beautiful way to get yourself into the same strife!

Nice one Steve!

The only time i'll never ever help someone in need is when a turkey gets themself bogged on the beach. It's a beautiful way to get yourself into the same strife!

Personally, I love any kind of turkey, the common bogged turkey just needs a bit of wash under the tap before it goes in the oven, too much sand otherwise:)!

Were you anywhere near the freshwater spring that comes from the cliff face and opens straight out onto the beach, Steve? Magic spot, thanks for the pics!

Nice one Steve!

There only one muddy mangrove creek to cross, we get a good run up and charge. The idiots who try to crawl across we cover in mud as we scream through and leave them for the high tide!

Personally, I love any kind of turkey, the common bogged turkey just needs a bit of wash under the tap before it goes in the oven, too much sand otherwise:)!

Were you anywhere near the freshwater spring that comes from the cliff face and opens straight out onto the beach, Steve? Magic spot, thanks for the pics!

The bogged turkeys get very well washed ha ha. Not sure of the cliff you mention. There is only sandy beach (for 8km) with alternating dunes and freshwater soaks behind. There is a sandstone escarpment about 6km upstream (the rockbar) and judging by the number of palms poking out of the monsoon forest at the base there must be springs there, probably art sites too. We will check it out next trip. This time was for the floodplain run off!

Last edited:
The bogged turkeys get very well washed ha ha. Not sure of the cliff you mention. There is only sandy beach (for 8km) with alternating dunes and freshwater soaks behind. There is a sandstone escarpment about 6km upstream (the rockbar) and judging by the number of palms poking out of the monsoon forest at the base there must be springs there, probably art sites too. We will check it out next trip. This time was for the floodplain run off!

That's the one, thanks Steve! There's freshwater that conveniently pours out at shower height along that escarpment. I once took my hat off there to have a shower (as you do) and left it on the beach. My partner came looking for me, could only see my hat and thought a croc had taken me! When I came back to camp on dusk, I scared the life out of her and her family:)!

Just looked it up...now I understand

Mexican : a person from south of the Queensland or New South Wales border

Australian slang dictionary

I was wondering why the hell their would be real Mexicans in OZ

Anyway I googled the Finnis River and found a link with a massive Croc caught in the River in the 80's...What an awesome beast

Our Cassius could have been a star | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

By the way what is a more rugged wild place...Far North Queensland or Far Northern Territory??

Great photos, looks like you had a great time.:D I need to get out and see more before Nov when we leave. If only we had the time! /jealous

mmfan you always make comparisons, which one is the best.
Reality is they are both rugged and wild and very beautiful, naturally I prefer NT.
From a very small city you can discover superb areas not that far from civilisation however Northern Qld
you have to travel a long way to get to the "remote" areas.

Great pics Steve,very jealous aswell.
You can always pick us Mexicans we`re the ones with
the baked beans in our swag.;)

Hey last thing (postscript)

Little Kingfisher- the smallest and the bluest!

DSC_0462.jpg

Great photos, looks like you had a great time.:D I need to get out and see more before Nov when we leave. If only we had the time! /jealous

pm me with what you're after. We can give you some clues. Kids? Dogs? 4WD? etc

It's a big place. I've been here 35+ years so I can help with some suitable options :)

Nice jew mate what gear did ya get it on? Live baiting?

single hook rig on 100kg mono leader, sinker 3" below tight to the bottom, pilchard and squid combo bait, Abu Garcia 7000 reel (now they're built in Taiwan and need a service after every trip, My original Swedish built 7000 lasted 23 years and was hammered constantly) 8kg braid, 10kg Penn powerstick.

With big Jew you let them push it around for a while. There is no strike. They love to gum it before eating it. We were surrounded by charter boats after the first one but they didn't explain the subtelties to their clients. So first touch they reef their rods and all they get is catfish!

Last edited:
Nice one. why such a heavy leader? How do you tie such a heavy leader to 8kg braid? Not a big fan of Abu love more of a shimano man myself, if my stella hasn't got the balls to catch what I'm targeting then I'll bring out the serious overhead gear.. I've been catching some decent jewies down this way in the surf haven't hit the 20kg mark this year though.. I mainly use live bait mostly mullet and yellowtail when targeting the big mulloway, if i can't get them I'll go to the fresh squid. Been having a hard time getting past the whalers of the toothie kind at the moment.

Yeah jewies are known to mouth the bait and swim of with it and will spit the hook if they notice something suss is going on, one of the reason I always use circle hooks when targeting them on live baits, pins em in the corner of the mouth most times and don't have the problem of gut hooking them.

it's a different fish from ours but a close relative. Barra and Threadies can cut allsorts with their gill rakers. The big jewies up here will always go for a structure to wrap the line around. ( even My mate uses a marlin rod with 80kg braid. IT just slices through the anchor line but a big jewie is worth a sand anchor any day- you can always buy another anchor

with a 3 way swivel

We used a walkout net off the beach and got a bit of everything:). I have a feeling they may be slightly illegal now, though?

Nov Island Trip 013.jpg

Here's mine I caught on a lure on a barra line.
In 3 feet of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back