Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
This post includes photos from a couple of sites that I visited this weekend near Wollongong. Yesterday, I spent the morning at Carrington Falls (40 minute drive) and today, I spent a couple of hours at Dharawal (20 minute drive). Also included are a few shots from last weekend in the hills near Wollongong.

CARRINGTON FALLS AREA
Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus) -- I was really excited to find this snake. It is a species that I rarely see on the coast. It was wary but it would re-emerge from its crevice if I remained motionless. The first shot was from a ledge a couple of meters above the snake. The snake's small hood was spread but I don't believe that it had seen me. I think that it had to do with warming up in the early morning sun. It was interesting but an adult Eastern Water Skink sunned only a meter from the snake. The reptiles ignored each other which I thought was surprising. Does anyone know if Tiger Snakes eat lizards?
tiger3.jpg

tiger5.jpg

tiger1a.jpg

tiger4.jpg

Eastern Water Skinks (Eulamprus quoyii) -- always beautiful skinks and a pleasure to photograph. Sometimes, they can be very coorperative and don't budge even when the lens is only a few cms away.
quoyii1.jpg

quoyii3.jpg

quoyii2.jpg

... juvenile
quoyi5.jpg

I only saw 1 Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatilis) -- I only saw one and was only able to take this single photo:
BlackRockSkink1.jpg

There are many interesting flowers out at the moment. My favourite was the well named Large Duck Orchid (Caleana major):
duck1.jpg

duck2.jpg

... the plants are small and insignificant so easily overlooked when not flowering:
duck3.jpg

Family Epacridaceae (Australian Heaths) was well represented. Many members of this family have interesting foliage and large clusters of flowers in the spring.
Dracophyllum secundum with a small scorpion fly:
flower_epacris3.jpg

flower_epacris4.jpg

a nice, pink flowered Epacris:
flower_epacris1a.jpg

flower_epacris2.jpg

a perennial sundew (Drosera sp.):
flower_sundew1.jpg

a Grevillea, a member of the protea family:
flower_grevillea1.jpg

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo:
YellowTailedBlackCockatoo1.jpg

WOLLONGONG HILLS
This Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) was sheltering beneath a sheet of tin. I was able to take a couple of quick pics before it shot away.
RedbellyBlack1.jpg

RedbellyBlack2.jpg

Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) -- this is the most common species of snake near Wollongong. I found most in pairs beneath sheets of tin or planks of wood.
EasternSmallEye2.jpg

EasternSmallEye1.jpg

Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus).
This was the first time that I have seen one of these geckos on a tree rather than sandstone. This one with its original tail was inside a hollow tree that had been burned:
platyurus5.jpg

... one with a regenerated tail:
platyurus9jpg.jpg

platyurus8.jpg

... perfect tail of a juvenile:
platyurus3.jpg

... I looked up while I walked along and saw that I was being watched:
platyuru7a.jpg

... the first baby that I have ever seen. It was tiny:
baby1.jpg

baby1a.jpg

DHARAWAL AREA
habitat1.jpg

The heath at Dharawal is beautiful at the moment with so many plants in flower. Here are a few shots of the floral display:
Waratah:
flower_waratah1.jpg

Sun Orchid. It looks much like a Spotted Sun Orchid (Thelymitra ixioides) but it did not have spots so I am not certain of the identity.
flower_orchid1.jpg

Various peas:
flower_pea2.jpg

flower_pea1.jpg

Large Wedge Pea (Gompholobium grandiflorum) -- very large flowers and a spectacular shrub:
flower_pea3.jpg

... drumsticks, grevilleas, boronias and others:
flower_mix3.jpg

flower_mix2.jpg

I think that these gorgeous flowers are Native Rose (Boronia serrulata):
flower_boronia1.jpg

... I think that the white flowers are Calytrix:
flower_mix1.jpg

One of two species of sundews that I saw along the creek:
flower_sundew2.jpg

flower_sundew1b.jpg

Although it was hot today, I did not find many herps. Here was one of the few that I photographed, a Mountain Heath Dragon (Rankinia diemensis) in its nuptial colours:
MountainDragon1.jpg

Regards,
David

hey wicked photos moloch, once again you and your feet oh and camera always make good herpings pics and find sweet herps 5+++++++ wicked as!

WOW :shock: BRILLIANT SHOTS:shock: that tiger shot is outstanding, you seem to find so much stuff out herping, how do you manage to photograph skinks they always run away from me.

what awsome pic!!!!! I love the redbelly, such a beautiful snake. You take some really nice pics and found some wicked animals!!

they are great!!! i love the one of the gecko watching u to lol. the baby gecko was pretty cute to!

Those eastern water skinks are too cute!
Great pics mate, looks like a lovely area ;)

K

David

Your posts are always great and the photos terrific......good to see the new camera has made quite a difference as well. Nice to see all those flowers too.

My favorites that really stand out from the others....the Tiger with his head just out of the crevice, and the head on view of the Water skink. These 2 capture something quite different to the normal run of the mill herp shots. Thats not to detract from the other shots but quite a few people take nice herp shots...with these 2 you've really set yourself apart.

Well done...look forward to a big summer of posts!!

cheers

Greg

Beautiful shots lovely fauna and flora. I understand there are a few reptiles in government down that way but not as beautiful as your shot, though still rather venomous.

hi david , great photos again . The first drosera is binata 'multifidia' the second is peltata ssp auriculata . carnivors are my big collection. rodney

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. I am glad that the photos were enjoyed.

Ryan,
The water skinks are not as shy as some. The early mornings are the best when the skinks first emerge to warm themselves. At that time, it is not hard to approach at all as long as you move slowly.

bundy,
Red-bellies are such beautiful snakes but they are always so shy. I rarely seen them in the open long enough for pics.

Thanks, Greg. I am happy with the new camera. It is much sharper than my old panasonic.

gelusmuse,
"reptiles" abound here ... lots of endemics.

rod,
thanks for the Drosera info. I also saw flowering Fairies Aprons that I think are also carnivorous. I will try to get photos next week.

thanks again,
David

utriularia or bladderworts probably dichotoma purple -pink flower this one has the common name of fairy aprons ,or australis or gibba yellow flower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back