A few questions for all of the clever DIY-ers here.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahScales

Reaction score
So I am the least woodworky-painty-crafty person in the world. I have literally no idea what I am doing but that doesn't mean I do not want to start! After all, building and designing your own enclosures looks like so much fun. However, I have a few quick questions.

1) Melamine: I have found that bunnings cuts the moisture resistant melamine for all of us that do not have powertools on hand. That's great! However, how do I keep it together? As it is not traditional wood, would screws or nails splinter the finish? So I suspect you would use a high-grade adhesive, which one?

2) Doors: So sliding doors is obviously the easiest method with the tracks. Is there a way to get plastic or glass cut to size? As I am looking to make quite long enclosures, I'm going to need big doors. Is there a more efficient way of doing it?

3) Light fittings: How do you cut the holes to put your premade, prewired lamps through? Is there a specific way to drill circular holes?

Last question! I swear!

4) I have a prepurchased tank that is spectacular, I love it! Only thing is, I hate the background. It's very shiny and has a very polished finish. Is there any paint that has a matte finish that is safe to use in enclosures? As it is a large enclosure, I would be looking at things like spray-paint, acrylic water based? Something I can buy in large quantities.

Thank you in advance! I am looking forward to get started, with 5 days off a week I should be kept quite busy!

Last edited:
I think, given the basic nature of your questions, that DIY enclosure building from scratch is not for you. I would see if there's someone nearby who can show you the basics before you try anything yourself and waste your money and materials. Bunnings do cut sheeting, but not with anything like the accuracy you will need to build a squared enclosure. Of course you need to screw them together, melamine is designed to shed anything that might stick to it, so glues of any sort are unsatisfactory.

Your basic knowledge is a lot less than what's needed to build a secure environment for any reptile.

Jamie

1) pre drill holes in the melamine where you want it joined. If using 3/4" thick I'd use 2" drywall screws.

2) Most places like your Bunnings will cut plexi to the length and width you want. If you are going with sliding doors, make sure you get two pieces cut.

3) Edited answer as I was told its against forum rules. My deepest apologies.

4) Any low VOC paint should work. I use external semi gloss paint for my non melamine vivs. Just let it air out a few days/weeks before putting yer kids in.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I think, given the basic nature of your questions, that DIY enclosure building from scratch is not for you. I would see if there's someone nearby who can show you the basics before you try anything yourself and waste your money and materials. Bunnings do cut sheeting, but not with anything like the accuracy you will need to build a squared enclosure. Of course you need to screw them together, melamine is designed to shed anything that might stick to it, so glues of any sort are unsatisfactory.

Your basic knowledge is a lot less than what's needed to build a secure environment for any reptile.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

But with anything, I have to start somewhere! I'm aware that my first few attempts will probably result in failure and I am prepared for that. I'm not going to place my animals into a cage that I believe insecure or dangerous. The only way to get experience is actually starting to try, so that's what I am going to do. If I waste some timber and a bit of cash, big deal, at least I am trying and will be moving forward. Good idea on the advice from locals though, I will have a look around and see if I can find someone who will be able to help me.

- - - Updated - - -

1) pre drill holes in the melamine where you want it joined. If using 3/4" thick I'd use 2" drywall screws.

2) Most places like your Bunnings will cut plexi to the length and width you want. If you are going with sliding doors, make sure you get two pieces cut.

4) Any low VOC paint should work. I use external semi gloss paint for my non melamine vivs. Just let it air out a few days/weeks before putting yer kids in.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

That helps allot! Thank you so much, that makes it allot easier to get a start on things.

But I badly worded question 3, I meant installing prewired, premade lamps from petshops. (You may want to remove the electrical advice as it is against forum policy, sorry!).

Just be aware that you can't do it without a basic understanding of the materials you are using and the appropriate tools

Jamie

I'm assuming that the pre-made light fixture just has a point to plug into a power point? If so u can buy drill bits that drill holes more then big enough to fit a power plug through.

I'm assuming that the pre-made light fixture just has a point to plug into a power point? If so u can buy drill bits that drill holes more then big enough to fit a power plug through.

It's called a hole saw...

Jamie

Plenty of good info on this thread, above all else, measure 10 times cut once, have fun, don't expect it to be perfect first time around, lots of these guys have been making heaps of these enclosures for years so they know what they're talking about , yours may not turn out 100% square (my first few didn't) but you can tidy it up to make a nice safe secure enclosure, and pics once its done.... Good luck...

Just be aware that you can't do it without a basic understanding of the materials you are using and the appropriate tools

Jamie

Thank you for your input. I do have most of the tools required, having inherited my dads old tools when he upgraded. And you're right, I don't have a basic understanding of the materials I am using. That it why I am asking ^.^

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty of good info on this thread, above all else, measure 10 times cut once, have fun, don't expect it to be perfect first time around, lots of these guys have been making heaps of these enclosures for years so they know what they're talking about , yours may not turn out 100% square (my first few didn't) but you can tidy it up to make a nice safe secure enclosure, and pics once its done.... Good luck...

Hahaha I am very pedantic as a person, I'll probably wind up measuring 60 times before even thinking about cutting! Especially considering my lack of experience. I'm fairly certain my first few are going to be garbage, literally :p . Ahh well! I've got to start somewhere. Thanks for the luck! I'll need it. Bunnings are going to looooove me.

Jamie

Don't be mean. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Answer 1: You'll need to use screws. That's the easiest way.
Answer 2: Sliding door are the best. Perspex is a good alternative to glass, but if you want glass then google glaziers in your area. Make sure you have the length and height you want, and ask for a quote on that with sliding glass doors with plastic tracks. Shop around to find the best price.
Answer 3: Most drills you can buy circular cutters for, and you attach the size you want and cut.
Answer 4: Any paint is ok as long as it won't peel and is non-toxic.

Of course, I'm no expert either. I only started building mine last year.

uqe9ame9.jpg
This is another way you can get wires in without leaving a hole big enough to get the plug through when you only need to get the wire through. Put your backing on first then mark from the inside of the enclosure where the walls are at the point you want the wires to pass through then work out how much you need to cut in from the line for a snug fit of your wires. Same can be done with a router, handsaw or jigsaw for the wires coming in next to the vents but put vents in first then mark the outside edge of the vent and work in from there. Just make sure your vent is far enough from the inside of the enclosure to allow for the wire
uzubu2um.jpg
a7uruze5.jpg
also predrill screw holes to the width of the solid width of the screw so that the thread part of the screw is the only part biting in to the wood, practice on some offcuts before committing to the finished product make sure you screw in pretty square to the wood or a screw might pop out the side ruining your piece of wood. It also might pay to design your enclosure about 100mm larger at first in all directions if you can spare the melamine, that way if you stuff it up you can cut it back a bit.

Keep an eye out for some of the Bunnings workshops that are usually held on a Saturday morning, there may be one that can help you get started. When you order your glass, make sure you ask them to polish all edges otherwise they won't slide too well. You can get a glass rasp and some coarse wet and dry emery papers and do it yourself if they are wanting to charge too much extra.

Like I said in the PM to you there are a lot of ways you can do it, and I put my cables through conduit into my tanks, that way I have no wires dangling any where, and no little gaps any where it's a snug fit, cables are protected and so are my reps. Hopefully the links I sent you were helpful enough to get you started.

I use mainly flatpacked melamine enclosures because i am lazy and they are cheap now
These have lids with half the roof hinged this way you can drill a U shaped hole in the back and place you cord through there without leaving massive unsightly holes in your enclosures

Chin up loverly! I don't own any tools nor did I know how to build an enclosure and mine turned out wonderful! Don't let people who want to tell you that you can't stop you from learning how you can. Measure lots and lots, stock up at Bunnings and use glass, it will save you in the long run. The holes on the side of the vents are a fantastic idea.

Blaze

Don't be put off by some of the answers you've received Sarah, if your keen to give it your best shot then I say go for it. You say you've inherited some tools from your dad, so that one less expense.
My first question would be is have you actually used any of them yet ! If not, call dad, and tell him you want to get a feel for what these tools do and can he give you any scrap pieces to play with. If he hasn't go to bunnings and get some elcheapo wide timber and have a play around.
Go to bunnings and find the oldest guy in the timber department and be straight with him. Tell him exactly what you told us in the first post. Chances are he will bend over backwards to help you achieve your end result. Don't think you have to buy everything at once to finish your enclosure, but everytime your thinking of getting something to use (screws, glue, etc) then seek out the same guy and start by saying 'you probably don't remember me but…… ' work at building that relationship with them - the older guys LOVE imparting knowledge and helping the younger ones - male and female!
My two local hardware stores both know me - bunnings know me as the 'snake tank lady' and my mitre 10 knows me by name.
Take photos on your phone and show the the progress pics they love that they've helped to create something useful.
Let them know what tools you've got and if they will suit what your doing. Most are fine with the entry level tools for beginners and will give advice on how to get the best out of them. My mitre 10 falls all over himself to show me the last tools on the market and they're rarely the trade quality stuff.
I'm waffling so push your sleeves up Sarah, go introduce yourself to the hardware shop and have some fun! It's certainly the best thing I ever did :)

Like everybody said, you have to start somewhere. I'm not the best diy, I actually suck really bad at building but I'm giving it a go. You learn from your mistakes. And trust me, you'll make a few. But afterwards you'll be like oooohhh. I get it now.. I always seem to kick myself in the butt all the time when building my enclosure.

As jax said, make friends with your local bunnings and they'll help you to the end of the earth and back.

Personally, I'd go marine ply (an outdoor grade) over melamine. It's a bit more exy, but I've used it outside in all waethers for backing board for some latex backgrounds and it works a treat-so much longer life span, especially if the corners are "sikaflex" sealed. Only problem is in comes in black or black... great for pythons, not so much monitors. Don't have to paint it either. Also, Bunnings has a 4mm blade, whereas if you use a cabinet maker they often have a 1mm blade so less waste and more accurate cuts/ end product size. If you take them a plan of what you want cut (a "cutting list") most good cabinet makers will do it for less than $50 and you wont be complaining later about your panels being out of whack.

Hope this helps. Good luck:)!

+ 1 for the advise about going and finding the old guy in the timber section. Although I have found most of the staff at bunnings very helpful. The trick is not to go in there and say I want these sheets of melamine cut this big. Tell them about your project, ask for there advise. Often you will walk out with a better plan then when you walked in! My advise is to spend a lot of time thinking about how all the bits are going to go together before you start the measuring and the cutting. I was fantastic at forgetting to factor in the width of the sheets so when I had my back board cut out it was just a couple of centre metres short! Lesson well learned.... eventually. But don't let anyone put you off! DIY is great fun, and although it can be frustrating at times its well worth it in the end!

Tip 1. Don't go to Bunnings for your melamine unless you only want white. Find a local small kitchen manufacturer and give them a sketch and get them to cut the board for you, not only is the material better quality you have more choice of color and the saw machines they use are very accurate. If you ask nicely they will probably give you screws for next to nothing as they buy them by the thousands.

Tip 2. The shiny backgrounds you see are usually from the pondtite sealer used rather than the paint as it's quite glossy. Two ways around this, one is to dull it up after by lightly buffing with steel wool after a couple of days or by using a matt finish sealer, only thing is the matt pondtite isn't water based and takes a whole to stop smelling.

Tip 3. Glass is better for large sliding doors than Perspex as it won't flex. Shop around your local glaziers as glass prices vary a lot. The smaller guys may have off cuts in the size you need where as the bigger mobs just wont store it. They can also help with tracks.

Tip 4. Just give it a shot and enjoy the build, tradies and suppliers are always willing to give advice if you are honest about your abilities etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back