A frog with a weird "laughing" call...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

I seem to have what I think is a frog underneath an elevated shed in my backyard. It's quite a strange situation, and it weirded me out for a few weeks before I picked up on it. Whenever I would clean my rat and mouse tubs, I would tip the dirty water from the washing container underneath the shed...a soon as the water would start flowing underneath it, the frog will start calling. The weird part is its actual call...it sounds like a mad evil scientist, and it keeps repeating the same laughing call over and over again without a break.

I'm in South East Queensland...anybody know what it could be?

i thinks u has a retarted monkey down there lol

What are you doing under Jonno's shed?

I think theres a laughing frog called Litoria Tyleri however..knowing not much about frogs i have no clue if they live up your way...Sounds freaky though late at night you walk outside and hear a strange laughing noise :shock:

Litoria rothii - though it normally lives in trees and not under snakes :)

Aka Maniacal Laughing Frog.

Cheers,
Aaron.

As others have said, it's probably one of the Litoria peronii complex. I haven't heard of L. rothii being found this far south, and I think L. peronii are more common than L. tyleri in Brisbane, but I have no evidence with which to back up that statement.

Stewart

Does anyone have those Frog call CD's? That might help a bit Jonno. I do but it was from my Ken Griffiths book and covers those that are found in Sydney.

G'day guys,

I seem to have what I think is a frog underneath an elevated shed in my backyard. It's quite a strange situation, and it weirded me out for a few weeks before I picked up on it. Whenever I would clean my rat and mouse tubs, I would tip the dirty water from the washing container underneath the shed...a soon as the water would start flowing underneath it, the frog will start calling. The weird part is its actual call...it sounds like a mad evil scientist, and it keeps repeating the same laughing call over and over again without a break.

I'm in South East Queensland...anybody know what it could be?

jonno. i think the frog that is underneith your shed is a persons tree frog. l.personii. ( think thats the scientific name). i had one out side my tiolet in the trees. i used to catch them before i knew about the illigal issue. they are usually found in trees and high places though are some times found under houses, drains etc in your case the shed. they love dirty water and the water would atract insects so it is making its self at home

if you can get a pic we can confirm the spec.

So I'm an idiot. I decided to get to the bottom of this today after it happened again. I moved everything out of the way (no mean feat!) and found the culprit.

It was a Mr Happy figurine that I had thrown at Sharna months ago and it went under the shed. The water must have set it off...

So I'm an idiot. I decided to get to the bottom of this today after it happened again. I moved everything out of the way (no mean feat!) and found the culprit.

It was a Mr Happy figurine that I had thrown at Sharna months ago and it went under the shed. The water must have set it off...

That's too funny!

Stewart

AHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHA OMG! If thats not the funniest thing i have heard i dunno what is. That is a classic. 10/10 for that performance lol.

Its a Perrons Tree Frog
I have a couple and they have a very loud lauging/cackling call.
Its certainly something to be heard!!
Very loud
Perrons usually have emerald green spots on them.
They are a very pretty frog
But boy are they LOUD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back