A little warning for all DIY'ers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in my above post, the picture was taken from a sponsors website, so how are they legally able to sell something that's not compliant and potentially illegal?

No idea maybe ask the seller.

ahhh ok, well that makes sense then. Just seemed strange that if its so bad to those who are electricians then how are they still on our shelves? I would of thought qualified electricians would of wired them up in the first place anyway..

Maybe they don't get wired by qualified people.I wonder if they would issue a compliance certificate along with the product?

While on the subject does anyone know if you can buy perforated MDF? Same as pegboard but MDF

The enclosures we made for our shows had 40mm Laptop Fans installed that extracted the heat from the cavity. Easily wired in and cheap as. Highly recommended if you are ever using down lights and have an enclosed space (ceiling cavity).

Reading all this has got me worried about my enclosure. Its a homemade one that I got off gumtree. Its melamine with a standard bayonet socket screwed onto it with the thermostat probe next to it. Do I need to change anything on it or add heat shielding?

ydahTpP.jpg

WLl9tu9.jpg

8WBwGq6.jpg

Reading all this has got me worried about my enclosure. Its a homemade one that I got off gumtree. Its melamine with a standard bayonet socket screwed onto it with the thermostat probe next to it. Do I need to change anything on it or add heat shielding?

Keep an eye on the light fitting. It's plastic so wont last for ever. And never use a ceramic heat emitter with it.

I have an enclosure thats very similar to the black one in post #33. It has two lights wired together and another one wired to its own plug. They are very dodgy and the cable between the light fittings feels loose and the light fittings are crooked so when you screw a bulb in its not in the centre of the fitting and the bulb or che can come in contact with the fitting itself.

The people that sold it to me are lucky it was so cheap or they would be in trouble. I googled the enclosure and they go for over $300 in the shops and for the quality it is a total rip off. I got it for 130 and I'm going to take the lights out and put a heating panel in and remove the wall mounted thermostat (with holes in the top to allow water in) and just get a proper dimming thermostat for the heat panel. I thought I was buying a ready made enclosure but I wont put my house or my familys lives in the hands of the clowns that made this.

I have an enclosure thats very similar to the black one in post #33. It has two lights wired together and another one wired to its own plug. They are very dodgy and the cable between the light fittings feels loose and the light fittings are crooked so when you screw a bulb in its not in the centre of the fitting and the bulb or che can come in contact with the fitting itself.

The people that sold it to me are lucky it was so cheap or they would be in trouble. I googled the enclosure and they go for over $300 in the shops and for the quality it is a total rip off. I got it for 130 and I'm going to take the lights out and put a heating panel in and remove the wall mounted thermostat (with holes in the top to allow water in) and just get a proper dimming thermostat for the heat panel. I thought I was buying a ready made enclosure but I wont put my house or my familys lives in the hands of the clowns that made this.

I would not bother with the extra expense of a dimming thermostat if you intend on using a heat panel, I would use either a pulse proportionate or on/off thermostat. Good on you for fixing it up and not just using it like some would.

Hey

the one on the left is illegal because of the exposed terminals. The one on the right doesn't apply to the standards we have been talking about as its not a recessed fitting. It is metal though so still has to be earthed to the relevant standards with an earthing conductor of relevant size.
its a much better light fitting though and good to see its not a recessed down light :)

Exactly what I have been looking for to use in monitor enclosures.
Can you pm me A link or where you brought this fitting? And also A rough price thanks mate

Thanks andynic, I had a read about the habistat pulse proportionate thermostats and I understand they would be better but I've found a dimming one that has an extra socket and a timer for a day viewing light so I'd prefer to get that one. Its not too expensive and you can get an on/off version for about $20 cheaper. I'm not worried about the 20 bucks so do you think the dimming one would be better than the on/off one?

I'm just asking because I've read that the dimming ones are more accurate.

Thanks andynic, I had a read about the habistat pulse proportionate thermostats and I understand they would be better but I've found a dimming one that has an extra socket and a timer for a day viewing light so I'd prefer to get that one. Its not too expensive and you can get an on/off version for about $20 cheaper. I'm not worried about the 20 bucks so do you think the dimming one would be better than the on/off one?

I'm just asking because I've read that the dimming ones are more accurate.
They have slightly less temperature fluctuations due to the nature of how they work but nothing to worry about. You could probably buy a good quality on off mat thermostat for the same price as the cheap thermostat that you are talking about and it will last longer but the dimming thermostat will give you the flexibility to use a light in the future if you like.

Exactly what I have been looking for to use in monitor enclosures.
Can you pm me A link or where you brought this fitting? And also A rough price thanks mate
Wrong person. Not my set up...

Fair enough I might aswell get a habistat on/off or pp thermostat and just get a timer from bunnings for a viewing light. I just liked the fact that the cheaper one has it all in the one unit and I've only seen good reviews about them so I thought they might be ok.

Fair enough I might aswell get a habistat on/off or pp thermostat and just get a timer from bunnings for a viewing light. I just liked the fact that the cheaper one has it all in the one unit and I've only seen good reviews about them so I thought they might be ok.
They should be fine to use if that is what you want and a lot of people use them but I don't think they have stood the test of time yet. Saying that I had two microclimate B1 dimming thermostats that were faulty, I got a mate to fix them and they both had a $3.20 part fail and I bought him a bottle of scotch for helping.

Thats true you never know with electrical things even the expensive ones can be faulty. You're lucky you were able to get them fixed, if anything electrical stops working for me I throw it out and for a $3.20 part and a bottle of scotch you saved heaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back