Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
After reading the recent discussion on feeding I thought I'd also offer chicken necks to some of my animals.

It's the first time any of them have been offered anything other than rodents so I was curious to see what kind of response it got.

I offered them to 10 snakes, 8 of which took them. It was 2 carpets that knocked them back, though another 2 did take them.

The best feeding responses came from my more fussy feeders which was interesting. A few others would eat anything, so they don't count, but the rest really checked them out before taking them.

Obviously it's not a replacement to rodents, but at $3 a kilo it may have a place as a supplementary food source. Think of it as Maccas for snakes!

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4699.jpg
    IMG_4699.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 381
I confess I tried it too. I had two jungles eagerly munch two necks each. I'm paranoid they'll get constipated :)

So yeah, it works, but I won't make a habit of it for my snakes.

Last edited:
im going to try mine as well after reading that thread but am sort of putting it off incase something happens to my snakes(me just being paranoid lol:?)

Gosh those are nice some animals, shame the background is a little off-putting...

Chicken necks just don't look like they have anything of substance to offer really do they?

I agree, you have some fine animals there :D
Keep us updated on wether it constipates them or not. I'm sure alotta people would like to know before they try it on their own snakes.

Also, I'm wondering what the snake in the second picture is?
Don't think I've ever seen one before. Its head kinda reminds me of a rattler, lol, though im probably way off

low carbs, and very high in protein. But missing the vitamins and minerals which they get from the organs in rodents.

silly q - but could you put a popcorn mouse (weaner age) inside the chicken neck/turkey neck for the vitamins? That would add roughage too?

Funny thing is when the first paper was written about chicken necks as a food source, the author was panned for it!

I confess I tried it too. I had two jungles eagerly munch two necks each. I'm paranoid they'll get constipated :)

So yeah, it works, but I won't make a habit of it for my snakes.
When i was feeding chicken necks, I was using the back of the chopper to crush the bones as i had a scare once with a childreni.
Had trouble but passed ok.
Everything eats them though, even my tree frogs love them.
I just cut them small and crush the bones but I havnt fed them for a while as my ratties have filled the deepfreeze for me.
Yeah, definitly not an alternative food but a nice change.
That scaleless adder is looking great krefft,
How do you find the consistenct of the crap (and smell)after they have chicken?
Lol
Make sure you use lean ones and cut off excess fat
btch.jpg

Last edited:
Chicken necks just don't look like they have anything of substance to offer really do they?

I agree with you there, however wild snakes wouldn't be getting as rich a diet as our captives receive over a prolonged period so I doubt it will have any adverse effects.
You could probably make just as strong a case that feeding well fed / fat rodents over a prolonged period could create it's own problems just as serious.

This is the first time I've offered them so I'm not waving the flag for all to follow, but they may have merit. Time will tell.
That's the reason I didn't offer them to any of my good snakes.:shock:

yesterday i fed my two yearling bhp chicken necks my diamond and jungle didnt want a bar of it... i figure every now and then seems to be the right idea i spose its good to mix it up a bit and i think the chicken necks would offer alot of calcium

It seems that the BHP's and Woma's liked them more than the carpets. Diamonds loved them, Jungles didn't.
I spoke to a mate today who feeds his elapids whatever is left after he has a BBQ!

It's Mac time for some of my critters tonight. Pics will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back