A simple question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you know about God and atheism at a whopping 23 years old???

Don't let my age fool you. It's not what I know, it's what I can prove that counts. But to stick with just some of what I know: I know that atheism is not as "popular" as it could be because of a consistent misunderstanding of the theory of evolution, which is a great shame. One of the major reasons for this is that the term theory is being used in a very different sense than it's common usage. Not only are they homonyms, but they're almost antonyms as well.

I also know that there is still some disagreement over whether the atheist position is a positive or negative one, as well as exactly how to define atheism. Several prominent atheists have popularized the view that atheism is simply a lack of belief in god. However this is clearly incorrect since that would render the atheist and [temporary] agnostic positions as virtually synonymous (well, it's not quite that simple).

Regarding past (and contemporaneous) attempts of other atheists to either disprove god's existence, or show why it is very unlikely, I myself am not convinced that any have succeeded in showing anything really, so I can quite easily see why no theist or deist finds the atheist position particularly persuasive either. A rational defence of the atheist worldview is sorely needed, which includes a complete explanation of both the origin and existence of the universe. I'm not saying I can fully deliver that; I don't think anybody ever could. We humans are simply too limited in our ability to grasp many things. Perhaps "why is there something rather than nothing?" as Leibniz asked, is a fideistic question (that is, humans are physically incapable of answering it).

I won't say to much about my own attempt. Suffice to say, at this point it seems to me that, having been involved in many debates with believers, and having read all of the various arguments for god's existence (well all of the major ones anyway), all of them are fundamentally flawed. I do think it's possible to disprove god's existence, or at least the god of many theologians aka the god of the Ontological argument (i.e. a being greater than which nothing can be conceived).

I'm always interested in friendly discussion with persons of worldviews other than my own. So feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:
Don't let my age fool you. It's not what I know, it's what I can prove that counts. But to stick with just some of what I know: I know that atheism is not as "popular" as it could be because of a consistent misunderstanding of the theory of evolution, which is a great shame. One of the major reasons for this is that the term theory is being used in a very different sense than it's common usage. Not only are they homonyms, but they're almost antonyms as well.

I also know that there is still some disagreement over whether the atheist position is a positive or negative one, as well as exactly how to define atheism. Several prominent atheists have popularized the view that atheism is simply a lack of belief in god. However this is clearly incorrect since that would render the atheist and [temporary] agnostic positions as virtually synonymous (well, it's not quite that simple).

Regarding past (and contemporaneous) attempts of other atheists to either disprove god's existence, or show why it is very unlikely, I myself am not convinced that any have succeeded in showing anything really, so I can quite easily see why no theist or deist finds the atheist position particularly persuasive either. A rational defence of the atheist worldview is sorely needed, which includes a complete explanation of both the origin and existence of the universe. I'm not saying I can fully deliver that; I don't think anybody ever could. We humans are simply too limited in our ability to grasp many things. Perhaps "why is there something rather than nothing?" as Leibniz asked, is a fideistic question (that is, humans are physically incapable of answering it).

I won't say to much about my own attempt. Suffice to say, at this point it seems to me that, having been involved in many debates with believers, and having read all of the various arguments for god's existence (well all of the major ones anyway), all of them are fundamentally flawed. I do think it's possible to disprove god's existence, or at least the god of many theologians aka the god of the Ontological argument (i.e. a being greater than which nothing can be conceived).

I'm always interested in friendly discussion with persons of worldviews other than my own. So feel free to PM me :)

I'm sure what you're saying is very interesting to those who are interested, but I'm a little worried that it might be on the verg of breaking the forum rules of discussing religion....although I know you are not actually discussing it.....but you get my drift !!! :)

I'm sure what you're saying is very interesting to those who are interested, but I'm a little worried that it might be on the verg of breaking the forum rules of discussing religion....although I know you are not actually discussing it.....but you get my drift !!! :)

I'm well aware of the ban on talking about religion Annie, as evidenced by my disclaimer on my thread regarding macroevolution.

I am going to be really thankful if I can breath properly when I wake up :) (flu) Have to take mini me to school then do copious amounts of paper work for the Father.... Play with my snake and rearrange the new enclosure for the new addition who hopefully arrives at the latter part of this week. I refuse to do house work to tomorrow because I can lol

I am going to be really thankful if I can breath properly when I wake up :) (flu) Have to take mini me to school then do copious amounts of paper work for the Father.... Play with my snake and rearrange the new enclosure for the new addition who hopefully arrives at the latter part of this week. I refuse to do house work to tomorrow because I can lol

sorry grannie, total OT.....

Welcome back hunney! good to see you on here again.

I'm well aware of the ban on talking about religion Annie, as evidenced by my disclaimer on my thread regarding macroevolution.

Oh yes right, you did the one on macroevolution too....of course. I personally think it would be good if we could have a space where we could discuss such things....but it's against the rules....so that's that. :)

sorry grannie, total OT.....

Welcome back hunney! good to see you on here again.

Ummmmm, I don't think I went anywhere....LOL....actually I think I've been quite vocal lately....too vocal for some actually. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back