UPDATED: Disgusting case of neglect (pic heavy)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine what would have happened to the snakes if cam and sean hadnt intervened? I can hardly bare to imagine it! It would have been devastating..... at least the snakes have a chance now (I hope)

Again, good onya boys :)

RSPCA are a money making company now. The RSPCA have retained the name but they don't really protect anything. Last year they euthanized over 10,000 dogs and cats and managed to turn out with 18m dollars of profit , this exercise would have taken money away from their profit margin.

I am ashamed of this poor excuse of a human :( I feel the deepest sense of sorrow for the poor reptiles in this situation .... The fact the authorities have been so apathetic is disgusting. I can only imagine the feelings you are going through. All I can say is thankyou for caring enough to help these poor defenseless snakes

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mwg3lp

I feel so deeply upset and distugested by all of this. Its a big wake up call for everyone, including the authoruites. I am very new to keeping reptilies and I am aware i have no experiences in deeling with them... but surely common sense prevales here, u dont keep ur cat litter filthy as it stinks out the house and is unhealthy for ur pets, same goes with dogs, mice, rats, any aminal really doesnt it??

I would really like to know how these beautiful creatures are going and see how they are now, in size differences, etc, etc.

i dont belive this thread should ever be closed, but reamin open as a constant reminder of how to help animals in need. I agree that RSPCA, P&W etc etc need to step up to the mark and do it quickly!!!! I also agree that it sucks that in order to help these animals in the long run, we need to watch them suffer and die, this needs to be stopped and stopped NOW

i would like to say thank you to Cam and Sean, you are in inspiration to all of us on here, you have done the impossible, even if the result was a little disheartening, you should hold your heads up high and know you will always have the respect of your fellow reptile keepers. well done!!!!!!

Thank you for this thread. I was thinking of wasting my time by calling the DERM morons in regards to a local issue but I will not waste my time. I have delt with DERM before in reporting a person taking wild animals and selling them on as his own collection and got nowhere because when they decided to drive the 2 hours from Toowoomba they found no one home so they went back and never followed up. I knew he was selling wild animals cause he asked me to collect and keep the ones I found in my bird cages!
I have also had the misfortune of dealing with the RSPCA on many occasions. I will no longer donate to them for all of the reasons stated in posts on this thread. I have also delt with the RSPCA in townsville. They are truely beyond hopeless! It doesn't matter what animals are abused, all the people really get is a slap on the wrist. The only real hope we have is Karma, and pray it bites their Butts soooo hard!

Cam and Sean, you went further than most would have. To go thru the stresses of trying to get justice I know is the hardest thing. To see the animals in the state they are subjected to pails in comparison to the emotions of dealing with the authorities. But the glimmer of hope the police offer in this story is so suprising, and somewhat comforting. To think the boys in blue pushed for the justice of these little scaled victims makes me smile and think there is still hope for the human race yet. Thank you Seargent Mark Hogenelst of the Charters Towers Stock and Rural Crime Investigation Squad for giving the little reptiles a voice

Once again, QLD police do what RSPCA and DERM should be doing. Funny how the representatives of both organisations (who do frequent this site, and have undoubtedly read this thread) are staying silent..unsurprising to see the brand new, amazing reptile facility the rspca rep. was shouting about is as big a waste of time and money as everything else they've attempted recently. Still think the pay leap was justified, Mr.Hornby?

WOW! Just read this thread... Honestly top job mate! Done everyone proud.

Haven't read all the comment's but yeah the police and RSPCA suppose to be there for all animal's obviously could not care less :/ Hope there all doing well now and are all living a better life at a new home which they deserve.
Again top job!

Unfortunately the RSPCA can only enforce the rules as the state and federal government lay them down. They (like any government organisation) are so swamped down by rules and regulations it seems impossible to do anything that isn't officially covered by a rule book. If you want change, start petitioning to your local or state government for stricter animal abuse laws. I personally agree 100% that there should be greater fines and jail time for animal abusers, but the RSPCA and national parks and wildlife can't do anything about that unless the state and federal laws change to allow them to do so. If we could get a serious petition going with ALOT of names on it then maybe we could get somewhere, but we need our frustration to be directed at the right people if we want to actually make a difference.

Unfortunately the RSPCA can only enforce the rules as the state and federal government lay them down. They (like any government organisation) are so swamped down by rules and regulations it seems impossible to do anything that isn't officially covered by a rule book. If you want change, start petitioning to your local or state government for stricter animal abuse laws. I personally agree 100% that there should be greater fines and jail time for animal abusers, but the RSPCA and national parks and wildlife can't do anything about that unless the state and federal laws change to allow them to do so. If we could get a serious petition going with ALOT of names on it then maybe we could get somewhere, but we need our frustration to be directed at the right people if we want to actually make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

(Definitely not saying they couldn't do with some improvement by the way) Just saying if we want change, it would be more effective if it was initiated higher up the food chain.

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I would be pissed right off if someone wandered into my herp room at their own leisure.. neglect or not.

In this case yeah, maybe the outcome of the situation etc required it to happen... whatever. But, I don't understand why people just can't mind their own fricken business.

o_O Seriously? If you were hit by a bus and dying on the side of the road would you expect assistance? Or would you want people to 'mind there own business'? Why do animals not get the same right? The right to help if they are in a bad situation. If anything, we should do more for them! They can't call 000 with there mobile phones, or even call out for help. They are 100% dependent on us for everything. If you see something going on that you know is wrong, you should always do something. otherwise your just another part of the problem.

I think you've missed my point. And obviously can't see my comment in which I say "maybe the outcome of the situation etc required it to happen" in my last post. What gives you the right to enter my house and go through my stuff if I don't know you? Nothing.

What if you stumbled into a herp room that is immaculate in every aspect of husbandry, housing, maintenance etc and was full of expensive snakes, and you where the one with 'dirty' animals? It's not your right to go in there, nor is it your obligation. It's the job of people like RSPCA or DECCW (if they actually give a **** about the way reptiles are kept, which is arguable in most cases) IF they get a report of neglect.

You are just being nosey and should mind your own business, realistically.

I'm not one to judge people on how clean they keep there house etc, but in this case the animals were in serious neglect.if u notice a dog chained up for days with no food/water what would u do? not enough people think of the animals welfare and act on it.

Mr Spike,

I agree that there are times when I wish other people would mind their own business. However, there are times when minding your own business is not an ethical option. This thread is about one of those times.

As I understand it, Sean was staying at the place for a few days with the occupant's permission. He found the neglected animals during that time. It sounds like he would have to have been wilfully blind - and probably lacking a nose - not to find them. What was he supposed to do after that? If that were me, I could not in all good conscience say, "It's not my responsibility," go back to my daily life and do nothing.

Neither could Sean, and neither could Cam once he found out, even though they both had busy lives of their own.

All too often "minding your own business" is used as an excuse not to get involved in an awkward situation, an excuse not to take responsibility. Sean and Cam didn't do that. They saw a problem, rolled up their sleeves, jumped in and fixed it. They deserve praise, not criticism. More of us should be like that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be pissed right off if someone wandered into my herp room at their own leisure.. neglect or not.

In this case yeah, maybe the outcome of the situation etc required it to happen... whatever. But, I don't understand why people just can't mind their own fricken business.

images

Hey, I'm in Townsville to and this story is sicking to the teeth. I can't believe this would happen and it to happen in our city to. I also can't believe that the police did nothing and niether did the RSPCA. I could help you out if you want just PM me, an we could sort something out

I think you've missed my point. And obviously can't see my comment in which I say "maybe the outcome of the situation etc required it to happen" in my last post. What gives you the right to enter my house and go through my stuff if I don't know you? Nothing.

What if you stumbled into a herp room that is immaculate in every aspect of husbandry, housing, maintenance etc and was full of expensive snakes, and you where the one with 'dirty' animals? It's not your right to go in there, nor is it your obligation. It's the job of people like RSPCA or DECCW (if they actually give a **** about the way reptiles are kept, which is arguable in most cases) IF they get a report of neglect.

You are just being nosey and should mind your own business, realistically.

This is absolute nonsense. He came across the room in legitimate circumstances and what he discovered created an obligation to act.

I believe it was the stench that drew them into the room... The scent of 47 rotting plastic containers isn't merely 'wandering in leisurely'. If they were immaculately kept, there would have been no scent and no reason to go into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back