UPDATED: Disgusting case of neglect (pic heavy)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so disappointing, especially after all your efforts. Grrrrrrrrr!

Oh man, I feel sick for you!! I can only imagine how angry, fed up and frustrated you are. I can't believe how terribly everything has been handled by the authorities who were meant to act on the Animals behalf. I am utterly disgusted, it's so unfair for you and the 'owner' can just laugh it of, meanwhile you've spent your time and money caring for these animals... I'd be planning something if I were you... so that the 'owner' no longer has the snakes... I won't write here what I would be doing, I'm sure you can use your imagination.

I wish there was something else that could be done! Bloody sucks big time!

wow, i was so disgusted and disturbed by this when you first posted this thread. now im even more disgusted....
it is clearly animal cruelty and i cant believe that scumbag is getting away with it. its not fair. we are all proud of you two guys for all the hard work you's have put into this, you guys rock. im sorry it didnt turn out the way we all had hoped:( maybe its time to bring it to the media...

release name and address

maybe its time too release the name and address of the perpitrater , i know at least 20 of us local townsville herp lads that would love to be behind some vigilanty justice , sometimes you gota take things into your own hands especially when the pathetic excuse for "authorities" would rather be out revenue raising than helping the community.:evil::evil::evil:

Well, lets tie this in with the facebook thread and do some good, let everyone know what a crap job the RSPCA and the other organisations involved have done, ok, it's grassroots, but every little bit helps.

Well done at least you have helped those poor critters,
BAD, BAD, BAD officials, wake up to yourselves, the pictures and lack of supervision on the animals by the owner is pure neglect, you should be ashamed
take it further mate, because these officials have a deep rot in the ranks

Good on you Cam! And I am soooo angry!! Why not contact the local paper or tv station and see how quickly something can be done about it! And I do agree with Flanders199 - that would be too bad if they did disappeared!!! See how quickly authorities would get there!!!
Good luck with it all

I have to wonder whether or not making accusations to the DEC that some of the animals are wild caught isn’t a bit over the top without anything to back this accusation up. Looking at the pics posted I can't see any critter that is on deaths door and in fact I find far worse conditioned critters in the wild at times. Besides dirty cages and some relatively thin specimens, I think the vet probably made a fair call.
Today I was contacted by this chap as he was looking at contacts to sell off his entire collection and hence I read this thread.
I asked this fellow why he fed his critters before going on holiday and he admitted it was a stupid mistake.
I asked him had he asked anyone to check on his collection while he was away and he admitted he didn't but foolishly thought that they would be okay as long as he provided water but no heat, thinking that they would sort of hibernate ( foolish considering he claimed to have fed them ). It sounds like this chap is highly upset and embarrassed over this but what I think is disturbing, is he mentions the constant hate e-mails and nasty texts constantly received by a few members here.
I suggested he mans up and replies to this thread, cop the criticism, explain himself and learn from this situation. I will point out that I actually know of this chap ( a friend of a friend of mine from Innisfail )but I didn't know about this incident with him until he rang us today.
It also sounds like the DEC were or are, considering charges but remember they will only proceed if their legal section thinks that there is any real chance of conviction. That would be difficult considering they would need a negative report from the vet I would think. The other thing is that the QLD wildlife act only allows for specific charges from which breach have to have occurred under such act. It could be that there isn't anything that neatly covers temporary dirty cages.
Personally I don’t think this chap would ever intentionally set out to cause his animals harm and in the past I believed he was a very passionate keeper so I am somewhat surprised that he has let this incident happen. One thing clear is it is certainly time for this chap to give up keeping I think. Becoming overwhelmed is poor excuse.

Reading the first post again, I wonder how he could not ensure ventilation or paper in the bottom of the enclosures. Thats getting very silly.

Interesting to hear the other side, PilbaraPythons. Even though I feel so sad for these pythons, I can't say I'm impressed to hear that their keeper is being harassed. The passion people obviously feel would be better directed - and more positively spent - urging authorities to improve reptilian rights.

46 pythons kept in conditions like that is beyond silly...

It's an awful lot of pythons for one keeper, for sure. I'm probably stating the obvious but it's a good bet that's where the problem began.

im in townsville as well...although im new to snake keeping id love to give you a hand if you needed it:D...Good on you for standing up for those that cannot speak. I had tears looking at these pics...no animal ever deserves to be treated this way:evil:

That is pathetic. If you can't look after them properly you shouldn't have them at all. I would love to have a jungle python, however I have enough sense to know that I can't afford to care for one at the moment. It is good to see someone cares and is willing to alert authorities, even if slow to react to situation.

if this guy is willing to give up these beautiful creatures we should all back off and let him do the right thing. i agree he should come on here, but i understand why he wouldnt aswell. i know alot of you guys would gladly take one or more of these fellers off his hands, i know i would if i lived closer. i think he is going to have a hard time getting rid of them all so maybe we should back off and stop the bullying so he can do it properly. i dont agree at all with how he kept them and it is so sad that it has taken something like this to make him realise he was in the wrong, but maybe its time to stop the anger and try to help him find these snakes new owners, if he is trying to do the right thing and find them new homes :)

He would be best advised to front up here and see if he can't find a few willing customers despite the obvious ear bashing he will surely recieve.
There has been a few very well known reptile keepers that are members on this site that have in the past been completely over whelmed with a collection too big for current personal issues e.g depression, marriage break ups, loss of job, sickness etc.
I know it doesn't mean these things are any real excuse for poor husbandry ( as they could have made a plea for help ) but it may give a few an idea of how people can come un stuck.

I like your unbiased opinion on this pilbara. At first I was angry, somehwat disgusted, but after reading your post, the book "to kill a mockingbird" came to mind, which teaches a great lesson in putting yourself in someone elses shoes. He obivoulsy had no intention on making profits from his collection, and generally I see reptile keeping as a hobby that only passionate people get into. His passion obviously got out of control, his flare for it died and he in consequence couldn't provide the optimum care they deserved. No one would keep animals in such poor condition unless they were in it purley for money not because they care for the animals, or they are just plain sick in the head (which I didnt see any abused animals, some care, even if it was minimum, had been provided). He made a lot of wrong desicions which he will have to live with now, and the least we could do is cut him some slack and help to give these animals a better lifestyle.

Everyone answers to someone. it might be useful Cam to just document what has happened....from the date you first found the collection through to the advice you did and did receive and the delay in reactions of authorities right down to the squirming that occurred at the end.

Obviously we would all have liked 'the book' thrown at the owner...but as previously said that may not have been possible....what is disappointing is that it seems nobody was clear about procedures and what was and wasnt possible and it caused a whole lot of confusion inconvenience and misconception

writing can be very cathartic....and if you send this letter through to the relevant minister the departments will have to respond and they will have to give you a formal response...which in the very least will make them all have to examine themselves and their responses and come up with proof they didnt do what you have calimed......and may lead to SOMETHING

most importantly at the end of the letter using bullet points state what you want

something like

1. and examination of current protocols regarding responsibility of the various animal authorities
2. an assurance that appropriate steps will be taken to educate animal officers so that correct information is given in the first instance particularly around what will and will not effect prosecution
3. a review of prosecutuon laws for animal cruelty to wildlife

????

Just some thoughts.

although you might get another formal reply saying nothing at least you will have a formal closure to it all and a sense that they have had to make a formal response.

I am so sorry that you feel you have been given the run around

and most of all i am sorry for the animals

Elizabeth

I guess the learning curve we have all travelled with you if ever any of us are in this situation whatever the animal is document everything with photographs and when you start to seal with authorities keep a diary with dates times and the names and phone numbers of every person you have spoken to...better still an email trail...where they have to respond in writing........this way if it goes pear shaped you have them with evidence that they have not advised/behaved correctly......VERY FRUSTRATING

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back