Abino Darwin aggressive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menice

Reaction score
Hey guys had this snake for a few months now and it just doesn't seem to wanna calm down to handle. Example as soon as it notices me at the enclosure it almost always gets in a striking position, it's fine with people walking past just not when interacting with it.... Any help or suggestions

Also should note I believe that she was never handled at any stage and any of my attempts I'm getting bitten got a few battle wounds in the process lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

This is her

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376177504260.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376177504260.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 314
try sitting near the enclosure out of strike reach open the door and just sit there . Don't try to touch the snake ,just let her get comfortable with you sitting there .Do this at a quiet time of day with no other distractions. when she seems happy with you sitting have your arm extended from the enclosure so she can have a sniff around it and maybe climb you at her leisure . Or maybe its just a killer snake :D . this is our method I am sure others will give you there's Good Luck , !!

Can't help there. Worst I've had from mine was a gentle headbut.
We dont handle him a lot but when we do he is fine. We dont force him out of his enclosure though. Just open the lid and if he wants to come out he does.

Best to just let it be. Our male was like that, now a kitten and we still have not handled him much, but I can put my hand in there and touch him..hardly flinches.

both that i got as hatchies were bitey, i left them alone for a year or 2 till they were bigger, then started handling and they calmed down really quickly.

I prefer not to bother the critters that seem stressed by it.

Cheers I'll give some suggestions a try, was hoping to get her calm before she got too big... Bigger teeth bigger bite lol

They calm naturally as they get bigger she is bitty as her own defence considering in the bush everything eats them especially up in Darwin.

I think it's best to just take a few bites while they are young and hold them a few times a week for a few minutes at a time. Just get them out in a dark room and hold them until they calm down a little bit then put them back. Do this a few times a week and they will realise you're not a threat. As people have said though, they calm down as they get older and more confident.

Maybe try putting her in a tub or click clack, and make sure she has plenty of hides and feels safe, (how big is the enclosure shes in?) ....leave a small bit of cloth or something with your scent on it in the click clack as well.
Then after a week or two when she's exploring, stick the tub on the bed or couch and open it and see if she'll come out on her own, otherwise get a hook and grab her out gently, let her climb up the hook and put your hand slowly under the hook and see if she'll go onto your hand, always slowly and confidently.
Every day the same thing for 5 minutes and she will get used to you, though most young ones are defensive, it's a built in mechanism to keep them alive.
Shes gorgeous though!

How old is she and what do you feed her, could be hungry. Or just not into it.

She's a little over a year and rats whenever she's hungry, she always goes to the floor of the enclosure and waits it's pretty cool

I meant what size and how often? Does she have branches in her enclosure to swing off?

Probably little over a metre or so the last shed wasn't a clean one so just a guess, fortnightly or more depending if I'm home. I'm away a lot for work

I forget the size, I'll add pic of last feed

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376220842040.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376220842040.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 105
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376220854828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376220854828.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 98
While its not going to proberbly help the OP, I have found that Albino Darwins that.come from the Blondie line are alot more placid than Albinos coming from the white Phenoix line of animals.
Not sure if others have noticed this but i have found it to be true.

hi! my snake used to be quite bitey when i first got her, but if you handle them right it should work out fine, make sure that you are feeding her in a seperate tub, not in the enclosure and make sure to handle her regularly, at least 3 times a week for about 20 mins+ at a time. also if she bites, i found i could give mine an effective 'time out' just gently yet firmly so she cant pull out place your hand over her head and hold it there for a min or so until she settles down, she will learn what happens when she bites :).

check temps, feed size, give more hides. Then leave it alone until it gets more size on it but be prepared that it may always be ''bitie''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back