Absolutely shocked and pi$$ed off. (A good lesson though)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batanga

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay this is a pretty long winded but I think an appropriate story to tell.
2 days ago I saw an ad on the classifieds listing a 9 foot female coastal carpet python for sale, the ad was from march but since I have an interest in Mcdowelli (Especially larger specimens) and the fact that the seller was also located on the Central Coast I decided to PM them and ask if the snake was still available etc. In the original classified ad the seller claimed the snake wasn't pretty which was probably due to her size but that didn't bother me as I like all colour forms of coastals and saw it as an excellent way to add variety to my collection....no where in the ad did the seller mention the snake had issues or that there was anything which needed attention.

I called the seller at about lunch yesterday and I said I would give him a call back about pick up address and time at 7p.m sharp. 7p.m rolls around and the seller won't answer his phone, call back a few more times and finally get through to him at 7.40 when he proceeded to "ummm and ahhhh" about picking the snake up that night and asked if I was available tonight instead which I wasn't, anyways I got my partner to call him back at about 8ish as I really wanted this snake and he agreed to meet us out the front of his house to do a simple "trade and go" type deal which suited me down to the ground as I would be picking my children up from a family members house in the same area as he was located.

After picking our children up we went past the house and he came outside as we were pulling up with the snake in a bag, I asked my partner to jump out and grab it from him as I was wearing my dirty work uniform and no shoes and since it was just a simple give the money/details and go type deal I wasn't really fussed. Now this is the part I most regret while handing over the bag to my partner he asked if she wanted him to get it out, the street was pitch black so there was no real use. After the deal she gets back in to the car and we drive home.
Getting the snake out at home I notice that she has about 5 unhealed lesions on her as well as a massive "kink" in her tail not to mention an absolute tonne of healed scars.

I messaged the seller through PM to ask what the hell was going on as soon as I saw them when I got home, Woke up this morning to find he hadn't replied so I sms'ed him instead.
I was told there was nothing wrong with the snake and she was only thin because 6 months ago she got a "cold":rolleyes: and went off her food. I then asked why he didn't mention these problems either in the original ad, when I first PM'ed him about the snake, when I called him twice about the snake or when we picked the snake up and he replied "Scars and a missing and kinked tail doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, were you expecting a pedigree animal for $150?"

Don't get me wrong, I know I should have looked at the snake and I am partly to blame because I usually make a point to examine before buying but this time my "want" got the better of me and I bought her blind and it bit me in the ***. I think the seller should be absolutely ashamed of himself and I really hope he pulls his head out and starts looking after his animals properly. I'm just glad she has come to me where she will be cared for.

Here are some pics, There are a lot more scars etc but she is shedding and she was getting pretty pissy about be sticking my hand in the enclosure to take them. She is also nowhere near 9 feet long.

costal2.jpg

coastal.jpg

Poor snake that's pathetic how can people let there snakes get like that and then sell them and not tell you that's so pathetic of him to do that at least she is at a good home now where she will be looked after nice to here that mate :D.

Bugga!
Like you said, lesson learned :rolleyes:
The alarm bells would have been ringing bigtime when he handed the snake to you in a bag out front of his house?:shock: I know some people dont want other strangers seeing what they have in the house, but really, in this buyer beware world.... you have to check before you pay the cash :|

At least it is in good hands now.... are you sure it isnt a wild one that has been run over by a car? Did you get any paperwork or license details with it? You could report it to your states wildlife licensing authority, to get a ranger to go make sure any other snakes/reptiles are kept humanely?

What are the licensing requirements in your state? Maybe talk to the 'fair trading' office in your state? They might get him investigated (dont worry about rspca ....Pfft....)

Good luck :)

always best to inspect,always the odd shoddy seller out there,on the plus side,least its in good hands now,couple of sheds and a few good feeds and some good care and it should come good hopefully

that's pretty bad... either it was wild caught or it would have to be kept in horrible conditions. some people are horrible and should not be allowed to keep animals. it's one thing to mistreat an object and rip you off but it's a whole other thing to mistreat a live animal and then rip you off. did you ask what cause the lesions or the scars?

Been there before myself. I was trusting to some breeders/sellers initially. You learn real quick not to be so trusting. Especially in this bogan-plentiful hobby!! :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys. This is the first bad experience I have had over the 7 or so years I have kept reptiles.
I will just use some topical cream to treat the current wounds (Betadine) and leave her till she sheds and then see what the true damage is.
It's just horrible to see that there are people out there that do this to animals, it's not like a single burn where it was truly an accident.

I will keep everyone updated.
Cheers

I reckon it is possibly wild and been run over, the guy picked it up and sold it? If it is as cranky as batanga says.... and the tail has had real trauma :shock: not just stepped on or shut in a door or something.

I would be getting him investigated.... make sure he isnt torturing any more snakes in his house!

Did you get paperwork? Records? the sellers license details? I would be ripping into him down every legal path.... not for the money.... thats gone..... but for what he has done to the snake & might be doing to others (or capturing and selling snakes from the wild) :twisted:

I reckon it is possibly wild and been run over, the guy picked it up and sold it? If it is as cranky as batanga says.... and the tail has had real trauma :shock: not just stepped on or shut in a door or something.

I would be getting him investigated.... make sure he isnt torturing any more snakes in his house!

Did you get paperwork? Records? the sellers license details? I would be ripping into him down every legal path.... not for the money.... thats gone..... but for what he has done to the snake & might be doing to others (or capturing and selling snakes from the wild) :twisted:

The snake isn't snappy, just not in the mood for human contact while shedding:D. She actually seems like a big cupcake.
I got his license details and couldn't really be bothered with the moron to be honest. I wouldn't waste my breath apart from sharing my experiences and leaving the seller negative feedback in the marketplace section (Which I did).
While I'm not at all happy with the condition she came in I'm glad I got her and not someone else who would treat her like ***** again.

Will keep everyone updated on her progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back