ackie feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so i will replace to white sand (can anyone give me some brand names for good ackie sand??) and i will make a rete stack. is this all i have to do.???

it still doesn't answer the question for their shedding problems??? (nails)

thanks

Washed playground sand from Bunnings works well. I've heard that pool filter sand is good also but have not tried it myself.

Fb monitors are always sheding its just how they are. its not a problem unless its geting stuck on his toes, if its not than you shouldnt have a problem.
do as bigi said and get rid of those bricks before you end up with dead ackies.
make a stack and ad a box with deep sand to burrow in.

Not normal!

Often it is caused by dampness - eg damp sand. Baby accies need to be kept very dry. They love to dig in damp sand but it will cause fungal issues that result in toes dropping off.

I don't think that's normal... unless the previous shed wasn't fully removed and the pressure caused the tip to fall off - constricting and amputing. :|

at the beginning people told me they should be kept humid but now i am being told to keep them dry....????

for what it is worth, i keep mine in inner Sydney, where there is very little humidity, on newspaper only substrate, small drinking bowl, absolutely no additional moistureadded. i have 3 and i have no other animals, which have done better in the latest 4 years.......i know about humidity, because i cant grow very well exotic orchids, because of the lack of humidity. that is why 5 years ago, i came into herps....hope this pic, comes up showing a rare imported legally orchid, which recently flowered for me.014.jpg

monitors need humidity beleave it or not.
time and time again i see pic on here of monitors with very few toes.
monitors are suppost to keep all there toes and nails as they grow.
if they were housed right they would not lose them.
108_0807.JPG107_0726.JPG100_0860.JPG

fb your ackie dont look like he has a problem, if its toes start fall off your doing somthing wrong.
why do you think he has a problem?

1st: his colour is very dull which could possibly be due to retained shed(i will change the sand to white and see if this red sand is the reason why)
2nd: the tail still has shed on it which has been there for a while
3rd: the nails on 2 of his front toes have fallen off

???

and when i see your ackies, their tails and their bodies are completely shedded and they look very clean with all their nails.

they have no retained shed

Mate ackies don't shed like snakes.. it doesn't all come off at once. They shed in patches and some patches take longer to come off than others. My ackies have bits of shed on them all the time.

The colour is not something you can change.. some animals are duller than others mate.

The only problem your ackie has is that it is being kept in such a manner that makes its toes fall off.

i agree 100% with philk.
in the pic ,my ackies are stained red as can be. just look at the black and white patch that has shed on his arm, thats how they shed.

first of all ackies are almost always continually shedding. u might get a time when they are mostly all shed but they are not like a snake.
all different types of ackies look different it could be the locality that is a not very contrasty pattern, and they do have a bit of a different colour to when they are adults.
also the bathing thing is a good idea. just keep doing it. and to be honest its very hard to keep an ackie with all of its toes as there are very tiny bits of skin which if they dont shed properly u can have then constirct and fall off.

just keep doing what u are doing, feed alot more food cos it looks a little skinny. i would bulk buy roaches and feed them up a bit. dont feed much dog food as it makes them to fat. u can try some egg aswell. cooked or raw, and lean mince :)

the cage it fine but u might want to make a stack out of wood. i use some rocks but lots of ppl dont like using rocks. u will need a bit longer cage say aroun 4-5ft. alot put some more branches in for climbing etc...

i think thats it. any q's just pm me :)

and just buy sydney beach sand from ANL

yeah. ill use the beach sand from now on. ill also make a stack. and hopefully everything will be good

I disagree that it's very hard to keep an ackie with all its toes.

once again 100% agree with you philk.
look at the pics of my monitors, all of them have their toes.
if your set up provides their basic needs they will grow up with toes.
being able to shed by themselves is a basic need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back