Ackie setup pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowers

Reaction score
Just finalised my setup for my Ackie enclosure. Should be getting the little guys in the next week or so depending on the seller.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Took me ages to get the temps sorted. Floodlight made the basking spot way too hot in just a small spot, and didnt have any other globes powerful enough. 100 watt reflector seems to do the job, though it is about 10-12cm away from the spot. Is that ok you reckon? Do ackies have a tendency to jump on to hot objects? :lol:

Ps. the temp on the thermometer in the pic is not right, the probe was sitting on the ground or something, not on the hot spot. Rockin the hot spot at about 62 degrees :DIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

Cheers,
James

very nice! looks good. i think the little fella will love it! not sure if your sand will stay like that but good luck :p as long as they have a heat gradient they will be fine! basking spot should be high 40s

just saw the grate at the back! make sure that it covered up cos if ur geting a little fella they will get out! also becareful with gaps in the glass if u have sliding doors

Hi James,

The 10 - 12 cm would be fine. I imagine when you get them they will do abit of remodelling that sand hill. Enclosure wise there is heaps of things people do and Im sure you will change things as you go but overall it covers the basics. Be prepared to get sand in the glass tracks.

Cheers for the feedback. I have a cage I can put over the lights, but I'd rather not as it's a hassle when you need to change globes etc.

The grate at the back has another thing behind it, like right behind it. No issue there.

Also with the basking temps, the guy who i'm getting them off has theirs set between 60-65 and many of the experienced keepers here recommend ridiculously high temps like that to keep them healthy and active. I'll try that high and if they aren't basking much then I'll bump it down.

I put the sand like that in the hope that they might do some burrowing. It's brickies sand so it compacts and holds burrows very well.

Edit: Should I put a water bowl in there?

Last edited:
Cheers for the feedback. I have a cage I can put over the lights, but I'd rather not as it's a hassle when you need to change globes etc.

The grate at the back has another thing behind it, like right behind it. No issue there.

Also with the basking temps, the guy who i'm getting them off has theirs set between 60-65 and many of the experienced keepers here recommend ridiculously high temps like that to keep them healthy and active. I'll try that high and if they aren't basking much then I'll bump it down.

I put the sand like that in the hope that they might do some burrowing. It's brickies sand so it compacts and holds burrows very well.

Edit: Should I put a water bowl in there?

deffinitly need a water bowl!!! mine drink all the time. and if u keep the temps at 50 they will be fine. they dont need it as high as 60 imo. :)
also be carefull the burrows dont colapse.

Hey mate, Looks good. I'll send you updated pics of the bubs tomorrow (really difficult getting good pics of them... they don't sit still at all).

Reason I use 60-65 deg C basking spots is because that's what the big-time goanna breeders recommend, and because natural basking temps can get this high. With basic husbandry met, Accies are pretty much indestructible though.

Good job with the Retes stacks too, they'll feel right at home.

I'm planning a new ackie display enclosure at the moment, Bushfire you mentioned that sand will get into the glass tracks which is pretty obvious. Does anyone have suggestions for the door?

The width of the area I am putting the enclosure is 90cm so I'm going to have a two level enclosure (2 x 90 x 60 floor space) to give them enough space. I want to be able to see them from my couch so If anyone has suggestions for doors I'd be interested.

Also, given that I'm run of my feet with work and study at the moment if anyone knows of somebody who builds enclosures in the Sydney area I'd be interested in having a chat. It has to be black to match my furniture and keep the wife happy.

Sorry if this post is full of typos, I'm working from my IPhone.

If you wedge a few rocks (or anything really) at the front wall of the enclosure, they will still dig and make a mess, but it's much harder for them to flick sand into the glass tracks. Of course they will have to be positioned so they can't dig under the rocks...
Looks good though. I think setting up enclosures can actually be pretty fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back