Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a spotted python and may soon get a lizard of some sort. I have looked at Ackies and I want one SO BAD!!!!!!! How much are they usually? Are they ok for beginners? Is a level 1 lisence ok? I have searched the forums already and couldn't find anything, so please forgive me if this is a duplicate.

They are quite easy to manage, in my opinion. I've had one for a few months now and he is doing great, despite my ineptness. I have learned the basics of their husbandry mostly through reading on the internet and magazines, but also through watching his behaviour and seeing what he responds well to.

They do not need 3 'temperature areas' as such. They do need a very hot basking spot with a surface temperature of about 55-70 degrees. This can be achieved with a 50-100 watt bulb positioned quite close to the surface. This basking spot should be in the form of a retes stack. Look it up here for some info Pro Exotics Reptiles, the Nation's finest captive bred Snakes and Monitors, your source for Infrared Thermometer, Temp Gun. search for 'stack'

Do not use a super hot globe at a far distance from the basking site as this will heat up the whole enclosure too much. In my enclosure right now the cool end sits at about 25 degrees with a basking surface temp of about 62 degrees.

They require a 120x60cm enclosure as they are pretty active.

The prices vary. Between 150-300 is pretty normal. Lower can be found, but it doesnt seem common. Also, ignore the comments people from the US make about a foot of substrate being necessary. Many succesful breeders do not do this, they just use a nesting box for them to burrow and lay in. I only use about 8cm of red brickies sand and mine is happy to dig little burrows under logs in there.

It depends where you live as to the licensing required. This info is all posted on these forums, but im bored right now so i dont mind helping out.

Thank you! I thought prices would be like 500 at least!!!! Don't seem so hard anymore, I want one lol. Im glad I dont need 1 foot of sand. I'm in Queensland, is a grade 1 lisence ok here?

Check on the relevant website? There should be a species list? I'm in victoria so i really have no idea.

they are pretty easy to keep. think beardies but with a hotter basking spot and more hides as they are a secretive animal that likes to hide. i have 6 adults at the moment. i sell my babies between 200 and 250 depending on the parents :) i have 1 WA pair, 1 mt isa pair and 2 single red females that i need a nice boy for :)

I heard that they're best kept in 2's. Will they need larger than 120cm for that?

well I would probably differ in that as they can fight if female and female (sometimes) or male and male, and my female even
dominated the male so I had to seperate them, however now they are fine and it's back to the natural order

If you want to keep more than one I would strongly recommend having a place you can separate them to if they start fighting. I only have one now as I had to give the other one away due to fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back