ackies ?? whats it like

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi also,

Good to see you joining the monitor crowd!

I keep breeding groups of both 'red' and 'yellow' ackies. They all make excellent pets.

As far as keeping goes the advice so far has been spot on. The most important consideration is the hot spot - at least 60 degrees or hotter. A heat stack (google 'retes stack') is great for thermoregulation and I use them on all my monitors. Feed mostly live insects with only occasional mice or roo mince. The need for UVB is debatable. I have groups with UVB and groups without. All continue to breed and be healthy with each. The colours of those with UVB do tend to be brighter (a bit like a sun tan).

My largest red is 68cm and largest yellow is 67cm(top ender) - although these are exceptional animals and most are in the 50-60cm mark.

They are much more fun in a group and tend to feed and grow better with company. I find solitary animals tend to hide more. I have very little problems with fighting - they tend to establish their own pecking order quickly.

So long as you get the conditions right they have very few health problems.

I will have both reds and yellows available at the end of this year.

P7191091.jpg

P7141084-2.jpg

Check my profile for more pics.

awesome pics and beautiful monitors varanophile, i would most likely be ready for them about that time aswell, any idea on what you would be letting them go for ??
if they are much better in groups, then would it be easiest to keep 2 females ?
i really dont have time for a breeding pair (especially if from the same clutch), and i figure males would fight more than females ?

you will have no idea what sex they are until about 18months old,
but kept together from young should present no problems

ah ok. yeah still not sure on the 2, but ill give it some more reasearch and most likely wait for varanophile's clutch to arrive so i think that will give me a lil while. thanks for the info and pics everyone.
you've convinced me on the ackies

No worries,

I will have plenty available at $250 each. They are able to be sexed using ventral spurs when they get to about 12cm snout to vent. Depending on conditions this takes around 6 months.

I will let you know when I have some available and will try and sort you out a nice pair.

Here are some of this years at 5 months - wont get their full colour for a few months yet.....

Attachments

• P5271940.jpg
    P5271940.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 98
  • P5271953.jpg
    P5271953.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 99
dude, they're rockin`... some of the best colours iv seen. never seen the red or yellow type. never seen many really... any idea on when you'll be able to sort me out ??? and you sure i should take a pair ? i mean you seem the man on the matter so whatever ya rekn haha. either way ill keep in touch though PM's etc. thanks heaps dude

are you able to give me an idea of the sex if i photo the vent of my 2?

Rub your fingers towards the head over the spines beside the vent. If you have one of each sex you will be easily be able to tell which is which. The males spines will catch on your finger and the females are softer and not resist the drag of your finger.

yea, thats what i thought, hard to do with the little buggers tryin to get away.

It helps to gently pull the back leg forward to expose the spurs. As herptrader said it also useful to have an example of each sex (or a few to compare with).

also76 - I should have some little ones available around December. I just noticed you live in Perth so when I have some I'll let you know and you can come and pick a couple out.

are you able to give me an idea of the sex if i photo the vent of my 2?

Twenty - A fair estimation on sex can be made with some photos of head shape and size, depending on age/size of course. Ultimately though I determine sex by using all of the methods as all can be flawed individually. The most reliable individual method is the spur test and is quite easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back