Acrylic enclosures, has anyone seen ones made like these before?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamind2010

Reaction score
These are mine. They used to house 2 womas, but the womas are now gone.

I had these custom made at a well known plastic fabricator. These were built from super high quality acrylic material. The dimensions are 500mm wide, 650mm deep, 300mm high. The doors and front side are made from 12mm thick material and the rest is from 6mm thick material. They are lockable as well. I made sure they were built very strongly from waterproof material so they would be very durable and provide many years of service.

Being completely waterproof material they are also useful for amphibian habitats as well as for reptile habitats.

What do you think of them?

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

oh an BTW, i quite like them... much nicer than a plain glass sliding door one, how are they ventilated ?

EDIT: Just saw the holes in the back

Last edited:
Yes more info please they look very slick.

They do look slick I will give you that, my only concern would be how they would fair over time. Plastics like that tend to smoke up and become cloudy over time, particularly with regard to cleaning.

Depends on what you clean them with, if you use warm water and soap they should look great. Never clean perspex with vinegar as the acetates will damage the material, and never ever clean it with solvent based stuff.

You can also buy polisher for acrylic to remove scratches if you know where to look, if there is one caveat emptor about perspex it's that it can be easily scratched. It's a great material because of it's thermal insulation properties which are much, much better than glass. And being completely waterproof, you could basically submerge these things in water for years and they would still be in perfect shape.

For what it's worth I paid roughly $250 each to have them custom made plus I paid extra for the door knobs and for the double layer ventilation screens. I used little padlocks to lock them. I won't need these any more, so if anyone is interested in these, you can drop me a PM and let me know. I have a couple of guys who looked at it last night and were very interested, apparently they had never seen anything like them before.

Last edited:
The two guys that were looking at my vivariums decided they wanted bigger enclosures. I believe they have diamond pythons and I'd agree, they're a bit small for diamonds. But they're fine for womas, childrens, stimmies, spotteds, and probably GTPs too. They'd even be good for quite a few of the moderate sized elapids. I'm not sure how an 8 foot taipan or king brown would fare in one of them, probably a little too small for the really big elapids ;)

Being waterproof they are perfect for an amphibian setup, it wouldn't surprise me if someone from the Australian Reptile Park took an interest in these especially for use as amphibian habitats. It would certainly save them some time as it's perfect for that job.

They look like they would be excellent for gtp hatchlings as theyed hold humidity really well and wont be damaged by the constant misting.

Look great! But should the sides be covered to reduce stress to the animal? I know with some lizards and arachinds they should only have the front, viewing wall see-though so as to minimalise stress (so they don't get overwhelmed by everything I guess?), not sure if this is the same for snakes.
Either way, look amazing!
:)

yea they look great, could definetly see the usage of them increase in this hobby and also there could be a little bit of money made in them lol

Cool enclosures, (or should I say warm as you mentioned their good insulation properties).

Definitely saves the risk on breakage compared to glass, and moisture soaking in with wood....and the price doesn't sound too bad either. It could be said that it looks like experiments take place inside, )you would see mating happening anyway).

Good stuff.

These ones were custom made, but I'm sure they could be made to any size. 6mm thickness on all sizes except the front door which (if I remember) is 12mm. The material is much stronger than glass and safer too.

I've still got them, I was going to let them go for cost price, which was $250 each but the sale fell through unexpectedly and rudely, and they've been sitting here now for months taking up space, so I guess I'd let them go for $200 each. To be honest I'm really extremely surprised that only 1 person has shown any interest in them at all. Truly unbelievable. I would have thought these would be gone within 2 weeks, but now we're talking months. They're still here.

Mate if you become a subscriber you can post an ad in the Forsale section where it prob will sell quickly as your not aloud to try and sell stuff on this site without being a subscriber.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back