Adult scrub python enclosure size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TA1PAN

Reaction score
Hey guys my 21st is coming up! And for my bday I would like to get a scrub python! I was just wondering what size enclosure do I need to house an adult one? thanks Chris

Everyone will tell you a different size.
I am looking at around 8 foot X 6 foot X 6 foot each for my adults , atm they are only around 10 foot and in 4 foot cubes roughly

personally...
I like an enclosure I can walk into without having to bend over and then room to move around. You will appreciate it in the long run.

The enclosure’s length or width must not be less than one quarter of the total
length of the largest occupant.

Range of
enclosure
length (cm) 150 – 270

Range of
enclosure
width (cm) 60 – 120

Range of
enclosure floor
area (cm2) 13,500 – 32,400

l
enclosure sizes should be increased as the snake grows.
The enclosure’s floor area should be increased by approximately 20% for
each additional snake above one (e.g. an enclosure housing two snakes
should have a floor area that is 20% larger than an enclosure housing one
snake)

you can go as big as you like though

Last edited:
In reality, 1/4 of snake's length is ridiculous, especially in case of scrubbies. Imagine 16 foot scrub in a 4 foot cage. :eek:

I have a pair in an outside enclosure about 8ft tall by 6ft wide and 4 ft deep and they seem happy for now,even bred this year.

I think for an adult you would need the floor to be aleast 3.5-4m by 1.5m deep and maybe 2.5m high? this would be a nice size enclosure for one adult scrubby?
Anyway thats the plan for mine when it puts on a bit of size.
Regards Rick

Most adults are fine in 6 x 3 x 2 enclosures. Very few require anything larger than this. They are very long snakes but only slender.

Just give it a whole room in your house. :p
Haha. But seriously. I want one.

i know someone who converted his sunroom into a scrubby cage. he has trees growing in there and everything. looks absolutely awesome. his male is 19ft (11yrs) female just a little bigger (13yrs) they are handled regularly and are quite friendly. i had some of his offspring that got to 14ft and 11ft in a 4m long by 2m high by 1.5m deep. they loved it and i loved them. however when the 14ft male tagged me the missus made sell them. i tried to tell her 14 stitches was just a nick. she didnt buy it. and now shes gone too. haha. dammit why did i have to listen to her.

i know someone who converted his sunroom into a scrubby cage. he has trees growing in there and everything. looks absolutely awesome. his male is 19ft (11yrs) female just a little bigger (13yrs) they are handled regularly and are quite friendly. i had some of his offspring that got to 14ft and 11ft in a 4m long by 2m high by 1.5m deep. they loved it and i loved them. however when the 14ft male tagged me the missus made sell them. i tried to tell her 14 stitches was just a nick. she didnt buy it. and now shes gone too. haha. dammit why did i have to listen to her.

we have a scrubby (approx 20mths and 5.5ft), and i have been a little worried about when he gets big. 14 stitches isn't so bad, however i AM allergic to their saliva. that could be an interesting trip to the hospital :shock:
i'm happy for the Mister to keep him as long as Bruce stays manageable. so far he seems pretty bomb-proof. we took him to a local footy match and he was constantly bombarded by groups children all day. we should have charged 20 cents a pat. we'd be rich!

anyways, i think i've convinced the Mister to give Bruce a room of his own, that way we can get in there easily and do what we need to do. the sunroom idea is perfect. is there anyway you can get some pics of it? i want to prove it can be done and isn't a silly idea :)

hey picklepants. im away for work in FNQ on a 12 month contract so i will see if i can get my mate to email me some photoes of his enclosure. from what he told me it was quite easy for him to convert (hes a builder) although it didnt look that easy to me. im not at all handy with any kind of tool though, except maybe a knife (im a chef. lol) i will briefly describe it to you. the room is approx 4m by 3 m by 3.5m. it has mulch/pinebark substrate, massive fake rocks in the lefthand corner next to a waterfall and rockpool. then two growing trees next to that going into the right hand corner. the front (entry) to the cage is mostly bare for easier access. has some small logs and rock etc. the roof is covered with old railway sleepers that provide lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide. the sides of the room are all glass sliding windows and one sliding door (all locked of course) with ventilation the whole way around the tops of the windows. it is heated/cooled with a 3.5hp reverse cycle airconditioner. hope this helps your case. good luck. scrubbies RULE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back