Advice for first time reptile owner? Cheers.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredv

Reaction score
G’day Guys,

Been a lover of reptiles all my life and am looking to own my first dragon or monitor :)

Was hoping I could get some advice as to which species would be best for me?

I’m looking for a lizard smaller in size than a Bearded Dragon and which is very lively and will love to play/climb around its enclosure and with others of the same species.

I have been looking at a few different species and would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on their differences when it comes to their personality and liveliness.

I’m interested in :

Black Soil / Pygmy Bearded Dragon

Central Netted Dragon

Gippsland Water Dragon

Storrs Monitor

Ridge Tailed Monitor

Any other suggestions for a first-time owner :)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

(P.S. – as I’m a first-time owner, a species which is relatively easy to care for would probably be best until I become more experienced)

Well normally I would recommend a bearded dragon, but if you want multiple in the same enclosure and smaller, i'd say angle headed dragons, pygmy Mulgar monitors. or central netted. Or even Pygmy beardies!

i wouldnt recomend ridgetail monitors for first time owners... just because they are not as handlable as other lizards. they definitly climb around and stuff, but i have had problems with fighting when keeping youngsters together.
and they get bigger than beardies:p

i would deffinitly go for beardies:) very fun to take out and will sit on ur shoulders. and they are run around abit specially when feeding.

so for ridgies u need alot of heat and a stack for them to hide in pretty much i use rocks stacked up. temps of aroun 70 degrees on the highest point to room temp at the cool end of the tank gives them lots of temp gradient. and lots and lots of food. i provide a roaches constantly so they can eat when they want. pretty easy. cost aroun $200-400 depending where they are from and what colour they are.

beardies are pretty similar. they need probably at the very hottest 40 degrees to room temp. they like to get up on logs etc to bask. they love crickets and roaches and on occasion pinkie mice. they also need to eat alot of greens and veggies. i would say they are a little more work than monitors but still very easy. they can cost any where from $50 -$500 depending on age and the colour. they do come in awesome colours though.

still beardies are more handlable, my monitors bite all the time... doesnt really hurt yet cos they are little but still annoying, and they are quick little buggers.

both are faily similar size but the monitor will be bigger

I have a pygmy B Dragon, and they are lovely to handle and very easy to care for when you have the set ip done right. I feed them crikets and fresh fruit and veg :D they are my recomendation but i am bias;)

I would stay away from any monitor for a 1st time keeper, they can be demanding.

You also said you want somthing smaller than a Beardie but you have a Water Dragon on your list. (cross that off, grow bigger than a Beardie)

Jacky lizards are great but dont like being handled and are very quick to take off.
(more a look not handle lizard)

Pygmy Beardies would be a great 1st reptile, but I would go the Central Netted Dragons.
I just think Netteds look a bit better and have a slight edge IMO.

Central Netteds all the way, although they will need a very hot basking spot (40 degrees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back