Advice Needed - New Spotted Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bharre

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brought my first snake on Sunday, a Spotted Python he's about 30cm long. The people I got him from were really good and informative but I forgot to ask a few things. Hope you can help
  1. He was was fed the day that I got him, and I heard that he may be nippy for a few days after he's been fed is this true?
  2. How long should I wait to start handling him?
  3. How many times a week/day should I handle him to get him used to me?
  4. When I do try to handle him if he strikes out, should I leave him alone and try later?

Cheers

1. No, that's not necessarily true (it's best not to handle them after feeding though).
2. Weeks rather than days.
3. Start gradually and not before it's settled right in.
4. Never unless you need to, yes and maybe.

Last edited:
He could regurgitate food if you handle after feeding, generally its better to let the snake settle in and eat for you etc before you handle it.
Snakes dont like handling as it disturbs them ,they just put up with it ,juveniles find it threatening and thats why they like to hide allot in the wild and captivity.

How old is your Spotted? (and congrats on your first snake!)

(1) Not necessarily nippy, but most don't like being handled after a feed, they need to digest the food, and there's always a risk of regurgitation if you handle the snake after feeding, I always leave mine alone for 2-3 days after a feed.

(2) New snakes need a couple of weeks to settle in, especially youngsters, so after he's had 2 feeds with you, you can try handling him (2-3 days after that)

(3) I'd wait until he's settled in well, then wait till he's out and about exploring his click clack/enclosure, then you can grab him out with a hook (most youngsters are wary of anything coming in above them) and let him explore your hand, don't make any suddent movements that will scare him. I used to do short sessions, 5 (up to 10) mins every 2nd or 3rd day, being really gentle. Make sure your hands are clean and you don't smell like chicken or any other food (use an anti-bacterial liquid like Purell Hand Sanitizer before AND after handling)
Don't handle at night either, as that's food time. :D

(4) I'd say yes, if he is striking out because he's scared/defensive, then leave him be.

Thanks for your help guys. One thing I didnt ask was how old he was

You're welcome mate.
Ask the breeder how old your snake is. Most good breeders record hatch dates and be happy to pass that information on, even after the sale.

While I agree with all of the above , I want to tell a tale of a reptile park visited a few years ago that had a ball python out for touching -- then this snake was placed on a branch set up on a table and fed a very large rat . Once it was digested ..about 15 minutes .. it was then passed around for touching again .

No I don't agree with it and would not recommend this to anyone .!!

While I agree with all of the above , I want to tell a tale of a reptile park visited a few years ago that had a ball python out for touching -- then this snake was placed on a branch set up on a table and fed a very large rat . Once it was digested ..about 15 minutes .. it was then passed around for touching again .

No I don't agree with it and would not recommend this to anyone .!!

Oh wow, that's not good, especially for a reptile park!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back