Advice on 2 female BHP's living together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of that thread about keeping the coastal and the olive python together except SniperCap actually took the advice instead of arguing the whole thread no matter what anyone said.

Interesting thread!

I didn't know aspidites were canabalistic... I knew they eat other reptiles, but not one another.

How come zoo in sunshine coast has 3 Womas together ? (there used to be 4, they released the other one.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting thread!

I didn't know aspidites were canabalistic... I knew they eat other reptiles, but not one another.

How come zoo in sunshine coast has 3 Womas together ? (there used to be 4, they released the other one.)

they just said they released it, really one just got a really goood feed ;) just kidding

zoos are still taking a risk , i think they do it for the crowds , gives more of a chance of one of the snakes being out , and at times people get to look at a few different snakes at once , thing is with them is most of the time its in a rather large space compared to your average house hold enclosure but it doesn't mean they haven't ever had it happen , probably just dont make it public

they just said they released it, really one just got a really goood feed...

... probably just dont make it public

(a bit off topic, sorry) There's a UQ student, Melissa, she's has been sponsored by the zoo & UQ, to track animals (not just Womas) around St George and vast area north, (which I forgot the name)

Sometimes she brings Womas into the zoo's hospital to be radio transmitter implanted, they go onto recovery/quarantine and some into public display and after a while released back into the wild.

There was been a couple of times they radio track the same animal, and end up back at zoo again and so on.

- She was the first person to let me know (I've seen photos) about a couple of Womas hunting a reptile at night, some 5meters high on a tree top.

Last edited:
Just because its possible to keep them together, i would still advice not to, unless its breeders i would keep them seperated, as i said earlier i have experienced species who arent known to eat other reptiles, eat their room mates, so a species like aspidites who are known to eat other reptiles i really would be careful caging them together unless its for breeding.

There's always someone who will contradict sound advice, and this topic drags those in like a magnet. It is NOT good practice to house potentially cannibalistic snakes together at ANY time except when attempting to breed them. I know of at least 3 instances where complacent owners (she'll be right, they've never shown aggression towards each other...) have come home and found a bloodbath in their enclosure, in two instances both snakes eventually died of their injuries, and they'd been together for a long time.

Of course you can do anything you like with your snakes if you're prepared to take that sort of risk.

Jamie

The problem with keeping two bhps together or two womas is with feeding, you have to separate them at that time and its hard particularly if they are large.
Generally though they dont see each other as food ,ive kept adult males together for long periods because of space limitations at times no problem and multiple males with females for long periods of time.
I havent had any snakes eat each other over the years but i know people that have had antaresias and young carpets consume each other so you have to watch them and there is reports of womas and bhps cannibilizing but its not common.

Rvcasa this is the link to Mellissas blog on SE QLD womas it has the woma eating the beardy in the tree at night, The Katie and James (and others...) woma python story

Last edited:
...there is reports of womas and bhps cannibilizing but its not common.

Thanks all involved.

I was planing putting a second Woma together (as per my boy's request) "to keep one another company" - now, I won't risk it though! Cheers. :)

good choice rvcasa , you could still get another woma , and they could keep each other company at breeding time ;) but imo the risk far outweighs any befits you would get from keeping them together full time , after all when the risk involves one or both dying , you'd think most people would have the sense to avoid it

Thank you for asking this question (and thank you to everyone who replied to it!)

I was just researching this topic because I was wondering if my woma would benefit from having a friend to hang out with.

Defs think he'll be better off continuing to live alone.

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back