After thawing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
I have two yearling water pythons, purchased a month ago, one of which I had not been able to cox to feed. In order to start the feeding process I have been attempting minimize disturbance to her and feed her in the cage. Anyhow, yesterday arvo I defrosted a day old chook and a weener rat with the intention to feed them that night but when I got home they were both crammed in the same hidey hole so , rather than risk a ball, I put the food into the fridge. This morning they were in different hides so I fed them. So the food was defrosted to room tempreture, chilled again, reheated , then fed.
The question is this, should I have used those feed items or should I have regarded the risk of food posioning too great and thown them away ?

Oh, and the now ex-non feeder took the day old chick, which is a relief. 8)

It's not something that I would do fuscus. The risk is not so much from food poisoning, but from the batceria that are contained in the animals digestive systems that can multiply quite readily once defrosted. For the sake of a few dollars worth of food, I prefer to chuck it or feed it to something else if it's not taken almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back