Airflow problems with new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quick question, if the holes were in melamine what would you seal with and how long before its safe to put the snake back in the enclosure and a proper seal job is done...also I have some little holes in the enclosure roof from the old light cage...are these at risk of water damage?

A couple of coats of acrylic paint will suffice.
I would no more gaps the drill holes.

As soon as the smell from the paint/sealer is gone.

A couple of coats of acrylic paint will suffice.
I would no more gaps the drill holes.

As soon as the smell from the paint/sealer is gone.
Looks like mad beat me to it.
If you've got some silicone/no more gaps open then just a smear of that in the vent holes, with your finger - remove the vents it's easier to smear and make sure it's sealed

with your airflow problem vents shoulb placed down low on hot side and up high on the cold side to create proper airflow and to get your ambient temps right one vent in middle not gonna do jack....easily fixed mate like cypher said bunnings is great even buy some sink drains they do the trick bunnings have heaps of those plastic vents in all different sizes just got to find the right size for your enclosure.....good luck...

This might help explain... The role of convection currents in ventilating enclosures is important. So what is a convection current? Put simply, air over a hot surface gets hot. Hot air rises. Air pressure moves unheated air in to take its place. This air then gets heated and rises. This moving and rising current of air is known as a convection current.
View attachment 274737
For any given enclosure, the degree and effectiveness of ventilation can be controlled by the size and placement of vents in relation to the placement and nature of heating elements.

Blue

So, what that diagram is showing me, and tell me if I'm wrong, the vents need to be on the same side, one high one low? Then the heat source should be on the opposite side, correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I think there are many various ways of doing it, the main thing is one up high and one down low it all depends on where windows are situated in your house. The low side should be facing the window IMO. I put my vents on opposite sides and it is working really well. My enclosure keeps a steady temp within .4 of a degree

The configuration and size of your vents will depend on whether you are trying to increase ambient air temp as well as a basking spot, hold humidity etc.

Buffcoat,
Mad-at-arms and Blakewilson (although I do not agree with the window comment – plenty of herp rooms do not have one) have got it right.

What the diagram is showing is the flow of air as a result of convection. The placement of the vents will, in simple terms, affect how much air in an enclosure is exchanged in a given period of time. The diagram shows how to get the maximum amount of air exchanged. Minimum would be both vents on the hot side.

Say you wanted to have a section with high humidity, you wouldn’t want that air to be constantly exchanged. By putting both vents at the hot end, most of the air in the cool end stays put and you can build up the humidity there.

Say you have a carpet enclosure and you want warm air in the top section because that’s where it likes to hang out a lot. Set up the vents as per the diagram, except the top vent would be positioned only 2/3 to 3/4 of the full height. This would result in a layer of warm air being trapped in the top section of the enclosure. As it cools off it is constantly being replaced by the rising warm air.

The thermodynamics of enclosures is not simple to dissect and explain. It involves the size, shape, construction material, surrounds and positioning of an enclosure. It also involves the type of heating, the wattage thereof, the position and how long it runs and if controlled by a thermostat. It is also influenced by the position, size and nature of vents plus any incidental openings, such as sliding door gaps, which allow airflow in or out.

Thank goodness, so long as we have a few basics in place, the temperatures can be fine tuned by playing with the wattage of heating elements and using a thermostat.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Blue! I watch the Big Bang Theory. You explained that like Leonard would to Penny. /highfive

Seriously though, thank you. I'll be building an enclosure that will need higher humidity soon. That explanation helped tons. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

That's good to hear Buffcoat (my many years in the classroom werenot wasted).

You will find that with a top and bottom vent and some bottom heating, it really is very easy to get good ventilation and the size of the vents donot have to be very big. Due to designs that were inefficient at ventilating, there has been a tendency to over-play its importance. So you have had people suggest all sorts of things. For example, you can do the same using a computer fan - buy why go to all the extra effort if you do not have to? You can get good ventilation having a wire grid at the entire top of an enclosure. But it will usually require a higher wattage of heater and it becomes difficult yo maintain a high level of humidity, dependening on where you are etc. An understanding if convection currents should make life simpler and easier in achieving the conditions you want in an enclosure.

Good luck. And feel free to PM me if you ever have a question you think I might be able to answer.

Cheers,
Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back