Am I too late for breeding my GTP's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tangy1

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering if its too late this year for my GTP's to be readied for breeding? At this stage I have not done any sort of cooling and have them separated still currently. They are still on full heat temps and feed weekly.
If it's not to late how much should they be cooled and for how. When should the pair be introduced.
Cheers for any thoughts.

If you start cooling them right now you'll still be on track for breeding season for them...

I should have added this my first year for the gtp's. I was wondering how long to cool for and at what temps? do I give day heat and no heat at night? etc etc.being a little more delicate than other pythons I dont want to run into any health issues while cooling, when to introduce the male to the female.
I guess I'm after a basic run down on the lead up to breeding.
Knowing that gtps usually breed earlier in the year than other pythons have left it to late this year to start cooling.
Thanks.

I suggest that you get a copy of 'The more Complete Chondro' by Greg Maxwell and read it thoroughly. It details most of what you will need to know in order to breed them.

Shouldn,t be too late. :) :) :) solar 17 ~B~

Last edited by a moderator:
You certainly aren't too late, I've regularly put mine together August - October and had very good results whenever I've done this, with eggs in late Dec - Jan. They come from areas with relatively little temperature variation (compared to other parts of Australia/NG), and can actually be bred at any time of the year with a little fiddling of temps etc. They can take surprisingly cold nights with little harm - but I wouldn't let them go much below about 18C. As has been suggested, "The Complete Chondro" by Greg Maxwell is probably the bible for this species. He actually suggests that breeding at any time of the year is possible. I've bred them quite successfully without any cooling at all sometimes.

Jamie

Certainly not too late. I keep my snakes outdoors in natural environment and they just started to mate this week. In previous years I had matings as late as first week in June. Also, you can feed the female right up until ovulation of she takes food, the male probably won't. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back