AMAZING Beardies? or crazy inbred freaks??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the colours on some of the ones under the green and purple section are nice, but honestly i just think its disgusting that people cant be happy with the beauty of the animals as nature intended them too be. I just think its plain wrong too do whatever they do to these animals.. I mean if beardies were meant too be transluscent or without scales they would be that way naturally, yanks and there designer pets.. ergh.

Yet you'll happily keep a breed of dog, in which originally the same was done.

To me pythons and beardies are plain and boring, yet people keep them.

I agree, the colours on some of the ones under the green and purple section are nice, but honestly i just think its disgusting that people cant be happy with the beauty of the animals as nature intended them too be. I just think its plain wrong too do whatever they do to these animals.. I mean if beardies were meant too be transluscent or without scales they would be that way naturally, yanks and there designer pets.. ergh.
Can you please list your pets that you have for me please?

I would be interested to see which ones have been selectively bred!

Can you please list your pets that you have for me please?

I would be interested to see which ones have been selectively bred!

he has scorpions, spiders, tesselated gex, robust velvet gex, eastern stone gex (i think?), woma, md and stimmie, i dont believe he has cats or dogs. Nothing he has looks much different to what they do in the wild

he has scorpions, spiders, tesselated gex, robust velvet gex, eastern stone gex (i think?), woma, md and stimmie, i dont believe he has cats or dogs. Nothing he has looks much different to what they do in the wild

Fair enough. I wonder though if the breeders of his retiles selectively bred for nicer colours and patterning?

Why is it so wrong to breed from an animal that shows a different colour or scalation to produce more of them?

Yet I bet the Woma's, MD's and Stimmi's have been selectively bred to enhance patterning, colour, temprement. The mice he feeds the snakes, have been selectively bred for large litters.

What Jay and I are saying is you cannot simply put a blanket statement out like that, I don't know about the arachnids and not the geckos, but snakes are selectively bred all the time.

Something along the lines of I don't like unnatural morphs, which I agree I hate the RPM's, and Jags. If I were to keep pythons it would be a natural looking carpet over a morph anyday.

i'd say they would have but they still look very much natural unlike those beardies. I will add though that i cant understand why he wouldnt like them, some may look a little wierd but most are stunning animals, those colors are amazing

The thing is, Jags popped up over night and so will these guys, thats if there not already here...

Fair enough. I wonder though if the breeders of his retiles selectively bred for nicer colours and patterning?

Why is it so wrong to breed from an animal that shows a different colour or scalation to produce more of them?

Morphs and selective breeding really can't be compared in most cases. Even then diferent cases of morphing/selection can't be compared.

For a morph example, I don't think albino darwins and jags should be compared. The albino gene appears to throw healthy animals that are no different to the normal type except for the obvious. Whereas Jags do not always throw healthy animals. I think one of these cases is ethical and one is not.

Selective breeding you can look at the same way, some examples are ethical some i don't think are. I can't think of reptile examples so I'll go for dogs. If you look at an Alaskin malamute are (as far as i know) strong and healthy animals but the selective breeding that has gone into making English bulldogs has created an animal that is not healthy.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with owning or selectively breeding animals for traits that i find appealing. But i would have a problem with owning or breeding an animal that has a high chance of throwing unhealthy or weak animals.

I like some of those colour mutations, but i don't like the unnatural looking morphs, give me a normal over one anyday.also any morph which has a chance of causing problems with the animals souldn't be bred.

Last edited:
the more u look at them, the more u get jealous so imo, its best to just not look at them and instead focus on the morphs or colours we have now and build on them. hopefully the hypo beardies turn out to be something new

Is there as much money to be made in beardies though?

They're known as beginner reptiles.
They're known to have a good temperament.
People like fancy colours.
I think that answers your question.

The more I look at them the more disgusted I am. I don't see them as beautiful or pretty... they just look like designer animals, much like you'd find in pet shop windows (labradoodles etc) and for me it just doesn't "click."

they look healthy, but I'd never buy one.

They're known as beginner reptiles.
They're known to have a good temperament.
People like fancy colours.
I think that answers your question.

I'm not sure they would make as much animals as snakes though.

They wouldnt hold their value, think of how many clutches a beardy will produce in a season. They are so prolific it would not be long till there are many of the morph being produced.

Think of how quickly some snakes have droped in value and they are no where near in the numbers a beardy would be.

I frequent the US BD forums a lot and being a BD owner I have always been a bit jealous of the colourful BDs they have there, the trans and silk however are not my cup of tea. Love the colours but I also like a BDs spikes it's what makes a BD IMO.

ok so all of the ones with scales are amazing with the exception of the translucent silkbacks.

the translucent green and purple one i saw on a site in america for sale priced at $2000

Mutations that reduce the risk of an animal surviving in the wild get wiped out as they don't survive and therefore produce no offspring. In captivity though they survive because they have food brought to them and a safe housing environment. How would a scaleless fare in the cold/hot? wouldn't their requirements be different? And with dogs pure bred dogs which were bred for their characteristics have loads of problems e.g. Hip displacier, respiratory and nostril issues and the bull dog cant give natural birth. By doing this with dragons and other reptiles what possible conditions are we risking? Not saying anything against it but does anyone know the potential health threats? (Not saying there are health threats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back