New snake to the family and need some help... Please...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find peats way to messy and difficult to c where they have urinated... Cat litter IMO is the way to go

I use coir peat have for a bit over a year now with no issues before that I was using kritters krumble. My only recommendation is only to only use half the water it says to uses and then squeeze as much water out. I then let it dry in the sun.

I have a big tub of it ready to go when I do substrate changes. My womas love digging in it and as I only have a few pythons I don't mind the extra clean up.

Nice looking carpet you have there. Looks like he will be well looked after.

If you go a head with a DIY build, check out some of ozimids builds. He has some great tutorial photos of routing for the heat cord under tile method.

Last edited:
I use coir peat have for a bit over a year now with no issues before that I was using kritters krumble. My only recommendation is only to only use half the water it says to uses and then squeeze as much water out. I then let it dry in the sun.

I have a big tub of it ready to go when I do substrate changes. My womas love digging in it and as I only have a few pythons I don't mind the extra clean up.

Nice looking carpet you have there. Looks like he will be well looked after.

If you go a head with a DIY build, check out some of ozimids builds. He has some great tutorial photos of routing for the heat cord under tile method.
U mean midsreps?... Changed me name from ozimid yonks ago :) thanks tho nice comment.... And I can't take the credit as I got the idea off Congo python ;)

I had to check myself before I answered last night both are derived from the same material.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I did notice that. I don't know why I wrote ozimid... Haha. My brain must have already switched to holiday mode.

This is the stuff you want. Same price but no fertiliser in it. You have to wet it to break it apart. What I do is run water over it and rub it apart once it has been saturated. Then I drain the water and spread it out in a thin layer in the sun until it's dry.

Thanks heaps for this OldestMagician, i have been racking my brains in bunnings trying to figure out was is good and what is bad, this is what will be going in, and also will be used in my vivs that i have started.

That is what i have put in there now with the snake, i had a heat cord and the light wasn't strong enough, so i built a small frame and put 2 tiles on it ( only because the cord was so long ) got some small hooks and rigged it up to the thermostat last night, it's working a treat so far.

He seems really happy, the smell has gone, i gave him a feed last night ( i seriously didn't think he was going to get it down ) but he did, now i'll let him rest up for a few days.

I really appreciate every one on this site that helps out newbies like myself. with all the help from every one here i reckon i am on the right track to owning a nice, healthy snake. He seems pretty happy anyway.

Thank guys & girls
AussieBen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back