Amphibolurus nobbi - information required

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigysus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of Nobbi dragons on my property, By far the most common lizard and around the house block and garden they can been seen quite easily when the sun is out.
They are usually fast, clean and stay in the dryest areas. However we have had a bit of rain lately and today I found one covered in mud, in a cool and damp area. It didn't look good. it made no effort to escape except to raise it's head in a threatening gesture, nor did it wriggle or try to move away from my hand. It looked like it was on it's way out!
Please don't tell me I shouldn't touch, I KNOW.
I took it back to the house cleaned it up and discovered it was shedding. It wasn't injured (as far as I could tell anyway) pretty fat as it should be at this time of year.
Does anybody know if there is any diference in appearance between the sexes. slightly pink under the tail which from observation seems to get brighter at certain times of the year and i have always equated that with being ready to breed. If it was a female it could have been carrying eggs. Do lizards shed while carrying eggs?
Anyway I put it somewhere safe from Kookaburras etc in a sunny spot in the veggie patch. i don't know what they eat but we don't use insecticides so it should find a feed there if it can warm up and move about a bit.
Anybody got any helpful hints on this kind of small lizard.

Ted

In breeding colours, the base of the tail goes pinky coloured in males and they have 2 dorsolateral stripes that go yellow. Females stay pretty plain. This is based on nobbi dragons in the south of their range so yours might vary a bit.

update on nobbi

In breeding colours, the base of the tail goes pinky coloured in males and they have 2 dorsolateral stripes that go yellow. Females stay pretty plain. This is based on nobbi dragons in the south of their range so yours might vary a bit.

The nobbi has improved 200 per cent, he's up on his toes and has moved to a place he thinks is better. Other than looking a bit ratty, he's looking pretty normal now, a lot different from when I found him
thanks Jordo, that just about describes him. Mine would be nobbi nobbi rather than the "western version' nobbi coggeri found in Victoria. If your description of the female is accurate and i'm sure it is, I've seen many more males than females, perhaps they are more shy and the males stand around showing off more. A little while ago i was charging a battery in the garden and I trailed some leads across the grass. An aggressive little bleeder ran out and tried to bite the red positive terminal on the charging lead and then had a go at the toe of my trainer with red line on it. I picked up the lead and stepped back and he ran back under the bush he came out from. Funny little buggers, I'm glad I don't have to put them into a cage. I've tried tempting him out again with bits of red plastic but I think he's caught on and stays in there glaring at me.
ted

This may not be the nobbi in question but I snapped this one two days ago
Ted

Attachments

• nobbi23.jpg
    nobbi23.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 68
i have never seen one of them befor they are wicked anybody keep em??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back