Angle Head eye prob

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beknluke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently aquired 6 lil southern angle heads - they're just the cutest!!
BUT last night, I found that one of the lil guys had his right eye closed and it looked as though it was weeping.
I cleaned it up as best as I could with some warm water and he opened it and hi eye seemed clear - but it looks as though something is not right with the flim that protects their eyes... Either way, I have cleaned his eye a couple of times now and he is more or less keeping it closed.
On the lady who bred them's instructions, they are housed in a 4' glass tank with peat brick stuff on the bottom, a few palms, a UV overhead fluro and no heat. All plants were throuroughly washed etc and they get daily misting.
I am about to separate him our in to a separate plastic tub with no substrate and a branch to make it easier for him to catch his food since he is having difficulty with one eye.
Has anyone experienced this before? Have any suggestions??
Thanx guys
Bex

Check there is no swelling of his cheek.
My Nice female had a similar thing, turned out to be an abscess of her cheeks area.

Both times i used peat brick in the enclosures i had eye problems with my Angle Headed dragons. It got worse cos they then started to scrath their eyes. I have not had eye problems since i started using other substrates.
The last time my little guy got stuff in his eye he ended up with a lump- the vet said it was the peat build up working its way down it's nasal passage. In the end he was ok but i flicked the peat brick.

simone.

Thanx guys - looks like I may have to do the same....
Oh, and no, no cheek swelling - but the eye is definately a little suken...

Well I haven't kept Angles but I have had a similar problem with my water dragons. Constantly keeping one eye closed and scratching it. Vet didn't know what was going on but assumed it was to do with the substrate. It's gone know that they are outside and not on brick sand.

Sim

Yeah I would say that the peat brick is no good, but then again some people have no problems with it. With the juvs SAD I kept them separate as their health is easier to observe. When young I also kept them on no substrate. Marc Furbank wrote a good article in reptiles magazine, have a read through that and otherwise PM him, he has had dragons for many years.
He goes by the name AGAMIDAE

Cyheers

Yeah, when I bought the lil tackers, I mentioned to the lady that all I had even been tolda was 'stricktly NO subtrate' until they were older - but she insisted that she has been breeding and growing them for years with peat bricks and that that was what I should use...
Well, he's on his own now and is standing around like a stunned mullet. I have cleaned his eye again and willlet you guys know how I go.
Bex :)

Just remember they are chronic sulkers. I swore blind one of mine was dead once. I sat their blubbering like an idiot over it until i saw it move and open its mouth at me. My female is a shocker for trying to go you one.

Simone.

with juv spinipes do not have anything on the bottom of the enclosures justa sking for trouble.....take them out clean what ever you have in there, just have sticks to climb and a shallow water bowl....wait until they are larger before having a substraight...also always keep the enclosure spotless and they will be fine...

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back