angle heads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scam7278

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi guys my wife would really like to get an angle head but i need some information on them as in substrait , enclosure size and humidity and any general info about keeping these little fellas :)
i would be grateful for any info

cheers

hobbo.....................

Hi Hobbo,

They're great little lizards. Substrate is a matter of debate for Angle-Heads. Some use newspaper, others use gravel, others still use astroturf. I use astroturf - the main criticism against it is that it can harm the male's hemipenises. I've never had that problem myself. Ideally they requre an enclosure that is taller than it is wide. They will spend most of their days perched on vertical branches. I actually keep mine now in a 18 x 18 x 24 Exoterra. They don't need any heating - except maybe during the winter months. Certainly I wouldn't be letting the temp get much over 28 at any time of the year. I give mine a spray once every couple of days and they seem to enjoy that. They are almost wholly insectivorous in my experience; will readily take wood roaches and crickets. They can be very tolerant of handling with persistence and of all the lizard species, have one of the brightest and most intelligent personalities. I've often likened them to the 'nosy neighbours' of my herp room...

That's pretty much how I keep mine. He is in that exact same enclosure with a UV light on top of the mesh. I have a 50w down light which is only turned on during the winter months.

I use Peat Moss and Eucalypt mulch as a substrate. I have not had an issue with this yet (have had him on this for 12 months+) I change the substrate every month. My room gets TOD every month prior to vacuuming as part of my cleaning schedule so this may have something to do with lack of bacteria etc. I also don't keep it vary damp, with light misting every few days.

Hopefully this season I will be able to find a girl for him.

They just crack me up the way they sulk.... and yes - the stereotype of a stick beak suites them to a tea

Yes, as Glimmerman pointed out - a UV light on top of the mesh.. I use a UV fluro output for Jungle Herps...

thanks for the info guys they seem like really nice and interesting pets :) so one of those mesh enclosures from the herpshop should be fine? 99cm x 54cm x 54cm standing upright for hight? would that be fine for a pair? ill buy babies that way i can watch them grow :) do you know anyone that might have some for sale? i have found some in melbourne which will be fine cause im going down there in a few weeks but i would prefer some from sydney somewhere to save them from staying in the car for soo long.

cheers
hobbo.............

oooh, reading this with great interest,...!!!

they look so cool,...i thought they'd be really high maintenance,...!!

I kept mine in a 600x600x1200 melamine cage with glass front. Several climbling branches, coir on the floor wih sphagnum moss over the top of that. They were tweezer fed roaches and the occasional snail. UV flouro ran vertically inside the cage.

I used no heating.

I thought Marcs caresheets were removed

Donk

my tank

i thought i woluld post a pic up of my enclosure,
there is cocoa peat for the bottom and then spagnum moss on top of that ot works gret because the spagnum moss retains the moisture, and also when she has laid eggs i know where she has laid them because she will also dig up the cocoa peat.

my backround is made of cork they love that because they can sit at any angle they want.

and then i just sit the uv above the flyscreen lid.

sam.

Attachments

• angle heads 009.jpg
    angle heads 009.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 153
the little tub in the middle if for when i am feeding them it has the fluon painted around the edges so the roaches cant escape.

that enclosure looks great can i please see some more pics so that i can some more ideas :) this has been so helpful :) are they class 1 or 2 in NSW?

i know they are on advance licsense in vic but not sure about nsw you should call your authorities,
it s 3ft x 1 1/2ft x 1 1/2ft i have 4 in ther one male two females and a baby i just bought a 6x2x2 and am going to do that up for my adults and keep that tank for my bubs that are on there way out as we speek.

I use coir base with Sphagnum top layer as well and find this easy to keep clean and I have not had any problems with even hatchling dragons.

This was my H Spinipes enclosure:

DSCN4343.jpg

They are in a different one now awaiting a new custom enclosure.

these enclosures look brilliant well done guys thanks for the pics and info

hi Sammccarthy whats that plant you have growing in you enclosure???? it looks real good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back