angle heads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it is called dichondra repens its like a big vitsion of baby tears.

Angle headed dragons have got to be one of the most captivating animals I've ever kept
mine all "attack" with mouths wide open, whenever I open their door, probably territorial methinks, they don't bite, just threaten, even the hatchlings open their mouths and run at you...lol
Very easy to keep, as long as yoiu follow the basics, temp.26-29, spray mist them every day
and I am lucky to be able to have their metal flywire house near filtered morning sunlight.
The substrate is fine wood chip and a large shallow pot plant saucer for water sis always used to soak in
I find them excellent feeders. crix or roaches reptical dusted. Get some, you'll love em
Sandee :)

Hi,
When I bought my first rainforest dragons i was advised to keep them outside, with the maxim "If you can keep ferns you can keep rain forest dragons". Never looked back having created my own ferny from shade cloth and. Just remember to fertilise the ferns...oh and feed the dragons. Make sure the enclosure is in a shady spot, with only dappled sunlight. While they are not frost hardy the lawn does occasionally get a light frost, but they manage this OK. Also on hot days they can bury into the ferns. Natural transpiration keeps the humidity up. I've noticed that under these conditions they are more colourful than those kept indoors under lights. Bark mulch is the substrate on top of sand to allow good drainage
Bob

Attachments

• rfd1.jpg
    rfd1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 74
  • rfd2.jpg
    rfd2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 73
Love the shade house idea, Spongebob.

Unfortunately mine would probably freeze if they were outside all year, I may make them a spring/summer retreat though!

i have my 3 in a 6 X 2 X 2 tank.
while most eat insects.
mine also love strawberrys, banana, beardy pellets, mushroom, peas, carrot and as a treat a bit of lean mince steak.
i bet theres more but i just havent tried them on.

This is the Exo Terra Enclosure for my lonely male :cry:

Attachments

• 100_5519 (Medium).jpg
    100_5519 (Medium).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_5520 (Medium).jpg
    100_5520 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_5508 (Medium).jpg
    100_5508 (Medium).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 57
that enclosure looks great can i please see some more pics so that i can some more ideas :) this has been so helpful :) are they class 1 or 2 in NSW?

hey hobbo

u only need a class 1 licence for them

That's pretty much how I keep mine. He is in that exact same enclosure with a UV light on top of the mesh. I have a 50w down light which is only turned on during the winter months.

I use Peat Moss and Eucalypt mulch as a substrate. I have not had an issue with this yet (have had him on this for 12 months+) I change the substrate every month. My room gets TOD every month prior to vacuuming as part of my cleaning schedule so this may have something to do with lack of bacteria etc. I also don't keep it vary damp, with light misting every few days.

Hopefully this season I will be able to find a girl for him.

They just crack me up the way they sulk.... and yes - the stereotype of a stick beak suites them to a tea

TOD??

Any more pics?

Last edited:
TOD??

Any more pics?

Top of Descent. The fly spray they douse you in on descent into an Australian ariport from overseas. Considered a "gentle" insecticide and therefore used to kill mites. Baygon for reptilians. However its use on planes has been said to make air frieghting of woodies problematic as they just die!

Heres one of mine
I use coco peat (no fertiliser) Nec T10 globe and water area with water fall, cork background.

Attachments

• P1010463_1.jpg
    P1010463_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010494.jpg
    P1010494.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 62
thanks for all your help guys :) after looking at all the pics i think im hooked now :) they are soo cute

looks like it might to showing too much of its feminine side..

looks like you have a girl on your hands mate.

Here are the pics of the pair I had. Unfortunately one of them passed away from the heat on New Years Day 2006. That previous one I posted (thought male) is the one that survived. I thought it was a male due to it's high patterning.

Can you confirm what I have then so I can get the opposite. (See we are consistantly learning)

Thanks guys :D

Attachments

• Picture_77 (Medium).jpg
    Picture_77 (Medium).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture_78 (Medium).jpg
    Picture_78 (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 50
hi glimmerman,

somewhere along the line you have got it mixed up females have the excellent patterning and the male are basically plain, so in the picture above the male is the one on the left and the female is on the right,

but then just to get tricky you can get patternless females but not males with patterns.

also where abouts did you get them as i have the ones from janet and i am lokking at starting a colony and want to get a few different bloodlines, i wouldnt care if they are babys or adults,

thanks,

sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back