angleheads info & experiences wanted!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Reaction score
hi guys, im considering getting a few angleheads soonish & was wondering if people who have them, can give me some info on them ? ie from personal experiences.

i know they dont do well in heat, & a UVa/b tube is a must.

apart from that, what else ? pros & cons please ! what size enclosure for a mob of 4 ?

thanks guys

oh better still if someone can tell me where i can just read up on em :)

Get them.
A 2'x2'x4' will be fine, lots of vertical branches.

theres a great care sheet on this site at under care sheets "other" in the Feature articles on Main menu (sorry i couldnt get the link to work)
these are great little dragons to keep full of character and one of my favourite little guys in my collection

Skunk, one thing i've found is care sheets will often not recommend heating as they like the low 20's, i had some trouble getting mine to grow until i was given advice to heat the enclosure so there is a hot spot of around 25 deg, whilst still giving them access to a cool spot that the heating doesn't reach(floor). Since then they have thrived and grew to adult size real quick. I dont use UV tubes, i just put them outdoors in a mesh enclosure with filtered sunlight occasionally, but not on hot days. They dont seem to need as much UVB as other dragons but some is essential.
Other than that like Mags said, ''get them''. They are a dragon you learn to keep as you go once you have the basics, they are quite moody and a joy to keep.

Have yours bred yet Matt?
Did you end up with a pair?

Yeah they are a pair Mags, this summer they went at it many times and i was certain she was gravid as she is quite plump but for some reason or other nothing came of it. Maybe he is shooting blanks?

They are just adorable! I have four hatchlings that are growing at a scary rate!! I also have a 25 watt bulb over one end for them and they are growing like crazy. Definitely not qualified to give any advice on them as I am still learning myself, but they really are worth keeping, such a lot of fun to watch, and very beautiful.

hi, thanks everyone for the info ! been very helpful.
what kind of substrate do u guys use ? also are they vicious eaters like bearded dragons ? ie eat ALOT & Poo ALOT ?

any pics of anyones settups ?

thanks!

I used sphagnum moss over coir for older dragons, paper for young ones.
No, mine would only eats insects and they would eat 1-4 every 2-3 days.
If I offered every day, they'd refuse at least one day out of two.

I feed mine every other day, I take them out of the enclosure they are kept in and put them into a storage tub, and put in a fair few crix (and keep topping up on the crix as they run out).

I have found that they prefer the crix to be on the small side. Mine must hoover up at least 60 between them each sitting. They would eat every day if I let them but I don't have time to feed them that often LOL! I just let them each as much as they want and then put them back when they ignore the crickets and go to sleep!!

I don't have mine on any substrate as they are only babies. I wipe the floor of the tank clean every other day whilst they are being fed in their tub. They aren't too bad with the poo either. Much lower maintainance than my Netteds.

I already have a 2ft by 3ft by 3 ft enclosure all ready for them. It's going to be a while before they grow into it though LOL!!

:0)

Mine like to sleep in their plant.

f4fef04f.jpg

great pics saz ! hehe so cute !

will definately look into setting up a "display' tank in my room now since all the reptiles have been moved into the "reptile" room

i cant sleep at nights now as when i look up i dont see a snake watching me :(

thanks for the substrate info magpie !

parko, yeah thats a good idea with hte lights. i will probably run a 25watt globe so they can get warm if they wish, but not overheat.

thanks once again everyone

I've found coco peat to be a good substrate. In regards to feeding i've found the female to be a fairly voracious feeder, every 2nd day usually, whereas the male will feed 2 sometimes 3 times a week. When they eat they really eat, but as already stated they will generally not accept food every day. I feed mine almost any insect, earthworms and pinkie mice. They will even accept thin slivers of raw chicken or beef if tweeser fed but i only offer this occasionaly. Clean water must be available to them at all times.

Mags, i think this is the female, for the following reasons; though the black line behind the eyes is somewhat faint in this pic it is usually more distinct, while the other one is lacking any black line at all. She is generally a greenish colour while the other is grey with yellow speckling. The other one was pinning this one down during attempted mating.But most importantly beneath the vent is only one bump in the centre directly after the vent, whereas the other has two distinct bumps after the vent. Pretty positive this is a female, i'll try get pics of the ''male'' up when i've recharged the batteries on my camera LOL

Oh sorry Mags, didn't mean to embarress you, especially since you are far more experienced with breeding them and their general husbandry than i am, the Qld ones can sometimes be really difficult to differentiate i've noticed. Was it the faintness of the black facial marking that made you think male?

Beautiful photos guys. Hope mine grow up to look just as amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back