Another Beardie Heating question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feurety

Reaction score
Evening all, ok my mother has taken a keen interest in beardie dragons, soo i plan on getting her to get her license and buying her a pair.. after she does her own research on them ofcourse.
So what im wanting to know is whats there heating requirements ? Im converting a TV into an enclosure for her 4x2x2 (ft) and looking at a 4mth old pair, i have a 2 ft fluro which will hold the uv bulb , but i only wanna put 1 ceramic light fitting into the enclosure.
Will a ceramic bulb on 24/7 be ok for them to bask under ?
Wil a infrared bulb on 24/7 be ok for them to bask under ?
Or should i not bother with night heating and just get a proper daytime basking globe for them ?
Cheers in advance.

Beardies like bright light during the day. So, if the UV lights are bright enough, I'd consider using an infrared or ceramic bulb (24/7 is not necessary unless it gets quite cold at night) and only "just in case" you ever need to have night heating.

Personally, I would only get her one to start off with. One is more then enough when you've only JUST started (especially only just starting reptiles in general), but two can lead to all sorts of problems. She will most likely not recognise symptoms of dominance and stress and therefore the animals will suffer. However, if you continue to plan on getting her two (remembering that reptiles are not social and do not need companionship) then make sure she has a separate enclosure (container, etc., and all the necessary equipment) so that she can quickly separate the two.

yeah, well i have 3 snakes and build all my enclosures, have plenty of spares. i will be watching over them from the side so they will be treated like gods, but since she wants them in the lounge im working on a show enclosure. ive done alot of research into it and have found multiple answers, but thought id get my own fresh, up to date answers from you guys.

I'd also only go the one bright daytime basking bulb. A 100W will be fine for that size enclosure, don't go less. 24/7 will keep the beardie awake. Most follow the 6am-8pm, which is more for the person than the beardie. I now run mine from 8am - 5pm, less in winter. As notechister said, watch with getting 2, inviting room for all sorts of problems re dominance/breeding/fighting etc.
Hope your Mum enjoys your present though!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back