Another colour mutation- Painted turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another fan of True Romance I see. One of my favourite all time Quentin Tarantino movies!
I really couldn't tell you if you can keep them down there. You'll have to contact DEH (Department of Environment & Heritage) to get the answer.

Anyone from VIC know if Painted turtles can be kept down there?

Looks like they're a class 2 in NSW. "Emydura subglobosa"? Might have to upgrade. What does the top of they're shell look like? Have you got a mass shot of them?

how big do they get?

they look absolutely stunnning!!

Hi Jules,
I don't have a mass shot of them showing the carapace just ones of the plastron.

Cheers,

Craig
Picture078.jpg

DSCN8264.jpg

Nice one. Brings a smile to my face looking at those little guys. I'll have to get one eventually. Maybe next year.

how big do they get?

they look absolutely stunnning!!

Not very big. My adult female that has laid 95 eggs this year is and lives in a 5ft tank. She is 18.8cm and will probably grow to just over 20cm.

Sure are stunning

Another fan of True Romance I see. One of my favourite all time Quentin Tarantino movies!
I really couldn't tell you if you can keep them down there. You'll have to contact DEH (Department of Environment & Heritage) to get the answer.

Anyone from VIC know if Painted turtles can be kept down there?

We don't appear to be able to keep them in Vic, they don't show up on the list.

Gee them last ones are almost an irradescent red:shock: Very nice indeed..

Cheers Rob

There is no mention of "Painted Turtle" or "subglobosa" on the Victorian schedules... which generally means that they cannot be kept by private herpers in Victoria.

Bit of a bummer!

Do you have a pic of them as adults??

How about in SA can we keep them here??

They sell for $200 each. Mine are the most colourful ones available. Some people are selling them for $175 and they look more like a Krefft's turtle than a Painted, without any red markings at all.

So are they a sub species of Kreffts? Kreffts are schedule 3 in Victoria :lol:

The other issue for Victorians is that turtles with a carapace length of less than 100mm cannot be traded.

So are they a sub species of Kreffts? Kreffts are schedule 3 in Victoria :lol:

The other issue for Victorians is that turtles with a carapace length of less than 100mm cannot be traded.

No they're not a sub-species of Murrays(I think you meant). They are Emydura subglobosa subglobosa.

I haven't heard of this breed, and was initially concerned they were like painted fish (ie fish hideously cruelly subjected to injections of fluorescent dye very likely to kill them and greatly reduce their survival - pah!). I'm so glad to see this isn't the case!

I'll have to do some research, I'm still trying to decide what breed to get to go with my brisbane river turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back