Another feeding thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james066

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'll start off by saying that after years of stalking this site I know there's already an endless amount of threads on feeding Australian Pythons but after hours of searching on the internet I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for, so if there's already a thread that answers my question I apologise for wasting anybody's time and I'd be more than happy for someone to post a link.

I have an adult female Diamond Python that is approximately between 6-8 years of age, I can't be certain as I don't have my records on me ATM. She is approximately 6-7ft and last shed on the 1/12/14 which measured over 220cm (I know it's not an accurate way of measuring so if anybody knows of a photo app or a program that works on an iPad/iPhone, I'd love to get the name of it). Her weight is unknown and despite having a slight dehydration issue earlier this year after winter cooling, she now looks healthy. She is currently being fed 2x large rats every 2 weeks (give or take a few days) although her last 2 scheduled feeds were only 10days apart. I've been waiting for her to defecate and show signs of hunting behaviour before offering the next feed.

Now from what I've read online, there's conflicting information on whether it is more beneficial to offer multiple smaller prey items at one time or one larger prey item or even a smaller prey item more frequently but being an adult python I'd really like to keep her on at least a 2 week feeding routine if not longer apart between feeds stretching 3 perhaps even 4 weeks apart. I've noticed that there's no bulge at all after the 1st large rat goes down and that it's after the 2nd large rat that she gets a bulge. She has never rejected a feed and always hits hard, although I'm pretty sure she's worked out that the prey being offered isn't exactly alive as she only ever wraps one coil around it. So this makes me wonder if it's indeed the time to kick it up a notch so to speak.

So my questions are aimed at people who are experienced in keeping large adult pythons (hopefully some big diamonds!)
How did you make the transition to a bigger prey size?
How often do you feed? What size python are you feeding and most importantly what's the prey size your feeding?
At what age/size/length did you up the prey size for them?
Is feeding 3x large rats at one time unheard of? I'm assuming most people would instead opt for 1x jumbo rat or even a small rabbit?
Would 2x large rats still be more beneficial than a small/juvenile rabbit?
Should I start by offering her a small/juvenile rabbit in the hope of getting her onto a larger rabbit prey item down the track one day?

Any information regarding feeding of large Australian Pythons, specifically adult Diamond Pythons but not restricted to, would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards

James

A large feed item will take longer to digest than a number of smaller items of the same total weight, so if you want to extend the time between feeds a single larger item should assist with that. One large item is usually cheaper than a number of smaller items of equivelent total weight.
You need to decide why you are feeding the animal. At 6 years old Diamond pythons have generally reached their mature weight and so unless breeding only need a maintenance diet. At 2 meters long it could weigh 2 kilos if it is lean or 5 kilos if it is fat. If the animal was a female which had recently laid then you may be looking to replace the weight lost in eggs which may be about 30% of the prelay weight.
First, I would try a rabbit to see if your python wants to eat them, as if it is used to rats then it may not take rabbits. Assuming it takes rabbits then a 500 gram rabbit each month should be enough to maintain your python. Ideally offer the first rabbit straight after feeding a rat, and thaw both feed items together so they are cross-scented, which will increase the chance of your python eating the rabbit.
there is a bit more information on feeding rabbits at www.rodentfarm.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back