Another Noob... :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've loved handling snakes for years but recently my 9 year old daughter and I have been seriously looking at getting a snake of our own. A friend put me onto the site and has been giving me some advice about where to look and what to look for but I thought I'd join up and widen the knowledge base. :)

I have a 2ft fish tank I am not using that I want to convert as a starting point for a childrens python over the next little while. I'm just not sure what the best place is to get a heat rock, hide and decorations??

Cheers in advance.

Fish tanks are not good to keep snakes in the glass makes it too hard to regulate the temps effectively....the money you save on using the fish tank instead of buying a proper cabinet you will spend on heating bill to keep you temps constant.

temperature is everything if the temps arent right your snake wont eat......if the temps arent right your snake will get a respiratory infection etc etc.......and depending on the snake you get...if you get something more arboreal you need to give the snake climbing space and a tank wont do it

Firstly welcome to the site....think about making a viv yourself. People here will give you lots of ideas about how to make it and the size you need for the species of snake you select. They'll also give you lots of ideas on what type of decoration, heating etc. This is a very friendly place with lots of people who know lots of things. :D

Welcome to the site :)

I have a glass tank but alot bigger and I have found it keeps the heat well of your not using paper for the ground but using bark and I have trees all around most of the side my tank stays at a pretty good temp but it is alot bigger . I don't see any problem with that sort of tank if it's just a yearling but by the end u will need a bigger space for the snake.

31b1b8a7-08ba-5a8a.jpg

31b1b8a7-08e4-f118.jpg

Sorry about the snake eating ha but see the trees on the back and bark on the ground it seems to stay a pretty good temp ...

Any way welcome to Aussie pythons

Thanks guys. I realise a fish tank is not 'ideal' and that the snake will out grow it. At the moment it is a case of trying to reduce the initial cost a little bit as the tank is sitting there doing nothing. I am looking at getting a Childrens python as I said earlier and my friend says I should get a year out of it before I need to look at something bigger.

My plan was to use sand as a base as I can filter it to clean out the scat and it should act as a good insulator. The obvious bits: heat rock, uv lamp and hide, plus a selection of artificial plants and some sort of climbing options to make it look natural and cosie.

It looks grotty at the moment but as you can see it sits in the wall unit so I wondered whether that would help with the ambiant tempurature too. I'll be replacing the top with a metal mesh top and some of those child locks to foil escape attempts. Push come to shove I will build a new enclosure that to start with will fit in that space but with front opening doors, the space is 750w x 600h x 350d. Although my mate suggested that I need to be aware not to put a small snake in too large an environment... although I can't remember why??:oops:

Attachments

• P1110001.JPG
    P1110001.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 135
Welcome:) I am not an expert when it comes to enclosures but, my two cents worth.....
Uv - no need (cept diamond)
Heat rock - def no no! Can cause thermo burns, go with ceramic bulb, heat cord or heat mat, all have their own +/-. Me I do ceramic for my "pets in my room" (no light), ceramics for enclosures hard to get to, heat cord for rack and heat mat for emergency back up, extra for big enclosures, and all attached to thermostats.
Sand, I would be concerned about impaction if the snake ingests some sand. Maybe hard to clean if urates are involved as would leach? Lots of other options out there.
Some do kitty litter, some marine carpet, wild crystal, AstroTurf the options are many, again I think what works for you and your python - I am boring, and newspaper is my friend, cept for the display enclosures I use Astro turf.
Hides only need to be old boxes if need be, as long as there are several placed at various heat spots.
Enclosure size is a ongoing debate, I believe it is settled by the individual snake, some do fine, some ok and some terrible, your snake will soon let you know if the size is a concern.

Last edited:
I'm too sleepy to type out a nice worded answer hehe so dont take this as rude just simple pointers

1. Don't use sand, use a nice insulating substrate because you have a tank. There are many available and one I use is Kritters Crumble(there are also lots of variations and similar products to this for cheap if you do some looking around) Just make sure your substrate doesn't have chemicals or fertilisers.
2. That size is fine, i'd personally get a "click clack" check this previous thread for a great easy to make one http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/
3. Python's don't need UV as they're predominantly nocturnal.
4. When it comes to heating a heat mat or heat cord would be great for your little spotted over a light while it's young as they're more terrestrial than arboreal. (but all snakes love to climb to make sure you put in a nice stick!)
5. Most younger snakes will be fine in a larger environment if they have LOTS of places to hide through out the enclosure, but be prepared to make hastey changes back to the click-clack or tank if they obviously don't like all that space because new living arrangements do stress them out
6. Keep us updated on everything :) Most of us love to help out and are happy to answer questions. Just remember you can never do enough research.

Last edited:
If you provide plenty of hides (at least 3) and put them in various places in the tank then the larger size shouldn't be as big an issue. Make sure you have at least one hide in the hot zone, one hide in the middle and one hide in the cool zone. I use recycled paper kitty litter for my python (pygmy python, very similar to children's pythons). It's easy to clean and will not cause impaction.\

The location of the tank will help with the temp control and I think you should be ok with the glass. Get a heat mat for under the tank backup and use a ceramic heater onto a rock of sorts for basking in the hot area. Get a digital thermometer that can measure the max and min temp over a period of time so that you can monitor your temps at the hot end. And get a thermostat to plug your heat sources into.

Adding things like wood pieces, and fake plants will make your tank look awesome and make the snake feel more comfortable as it does not feel so exposed. Astro turf also makes an awesome substrate cause its easy to clean, no risk of impaction and looks good.

With the ceramic heater you need a cord with a plug on one end and a light bulb socket on the other, then you need a reflector dome if you are sitting the bulb on top of the wire mesh roof or a bulb cage if you are hanging the bulb inside the tank. And you need the ceramic bulb.

Set everything up for a few days before you get your snake so that you can monitor the hot end and make sure it is stable at the temp you need. Ohh and make sure your water dish is in the cool end so it doesnt evaporate and jack the humidity up too high.

Well, I think thats all the helpful stuff I can think of. If I have missed anything or got anything wrong I'm sure someone will correct it or add to it. Good luck, there is lots of good info on this site so you have a good start at least.

Ummmm.... what is a 'click clack'? As mine will be a 'display' enclosure I might end up doing the astro turf. At this stage anything is possible as I want to make sure I do my groundwork so I get it right when it's time.

Regardless of the heating option, where is the best place to get this stuff? Do I just go to the pet shop or can I get it better online?

I already linked the click clack guide / creation for you, just have a read through it.
It's for younger snakes, and a cheap alternative whilst you get money/enclosures set up and built for displaying. It's a small tub with air holes, a hide, a water dish and some paper towel with a heat cord(or mat).

It's the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to keep a young snake.

Some pet shops do stock what you will need. My local ones do. It's a matter of looking around to see. You can get things cheaper on the net but your local pet shop will obviously be more convenient. I would look on the net so that you know what it is you are looking for first, write a list and then go shop around. You want to get good reliable electrics as they can mean the difference between life and death for your baby.

Ohh and, never underestimate a snake's ability to escape. Use the smallest size wire possible for the roof, ensure your roof has no gaps around the edges and make sure it can't be lifted at all. And don't have alot of climbing stuff that reaches the roof. Most people use the click clacks because they are pretty well escape proof.

If you no what your looking for like light heat pad or what ever u can find it alot cheaper online the. What u could ever buy in shop I no fake tress are like 25$ at shops on line like 3$ so if u no what u r looking for online is alot cheaper. I have a guy I buy stuff off from eBay cheap 2 day dil and kittle crumber 30$ cheaper online then at shop ...

Ok, just got home from a mates place who has been into snakes for years but I hadn't had the time to catch up with. After talking to him and with your wonderful suggestions I have worked out what I think should work well.

I am decorating three sides of the tank with background image and then adding a layer of thin styrofoam as an insulator for the tank as the front is the only display aspect for the wall unit. I am making up a hinged mesh top which will have an aquarium light at the back and I'll sit a ceramic heater on the front part with a reflector dome. Astro-turf for the substrate and some plants and a branch to give it some visual appeal. Plus the obvious... a rock under the heater as a basking area, water and hide.

George was also able to show me a couple of good online stores for some supplies and due to the number of snakes and stuff he keeps I have a ready supply of mice and rats if I end up getting something bigger later on.

I will look around for a yearling so as to get past the need to feed it pinkies and to get a snake that is large enough to be handled and be comfortable in the tank. 8)

Last edited:
Ok, just got home from a mates place who has been into snakes for years but I hadn't had the time to catch up with. After talking to him and with your wonderful suggestions I have worked out what I think should work well.

I am decorating three sides of the tank with background image and then adding a layer of thin styrofoam as an insulator for the tank as the front is the only display aspect for the wall unit. I am making up a hinged mesh top which will have an aquarium light at the back and I'll sit a ceramic heater on the front part with a reflector dome. Astro-turf for the substrate and some plants and a branch to give it some visual appeal. Plus the obvious... a rock under the heater as a basking are, water and hide.

George was also able to show me a couple of good online stores for some supplies and due to the number of snakes and stuff he keeps I have a ready supply of mice and rats if I end up getting something bigger later on.

I will look around for a yearling so as to get past the need to feed it pinkies and to get a snake that is large enough to be handled and be comfortable in the tank. 8)

Sounds perfect. Let us know when the new arrival comes :)

License app lodged... 21 working days and counting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back