Antaresia Stimsoni Nasty Behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo64

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Name. Charlotte
Specie. Antaresia Stimsoni
Sex. Female
Age. 16 Months
Length. 650 mm

Its been 4 weeks since we bought Charlotte home. She has spent 3 weeks in a click clack. During this time she has fed well and regularly, like clock work actually. Temperature around 34 deg C. We have tried to keep handling to a minimum so she settles in. On the 4th week we put her in her larger enclosure, her temperament has become snappy, she seems to be doing laps and looking for an exit point. She has grown 50 mm since she came home.

Today I had to remove her from her enclosure to install a new thermostat due to fluctuating temps. She was due for a feed and didn't take her fuzzy rat (the fuzzy is still in there with her, hoping she will take it on the quiet).

What's happening? I'm thinking of putting her back in the click clack for a couple of weeks to settle her down.
Could she be sloughing? I hear they get a little snappy then.

Any suggestions ?

Maybe she doesn't like been in the larger enclosure. It could be stressing her out.

Put her in a smaller enclosure. It will make her feel more secure, and she'll calm down. Or you could throw in as many fake plants, vines, and rocks as you can fit in there - it'll give her enough cover to feel secure and she'll exhibit more natural behaviours.

If you have had her for a month, & she hasnt shed yet, then yes, she very well could be in shed mode. It is stressful for them so they do like to be left alone. As long as she has plenty of hiding spots in the bigger enclosure, she should be ok to stay there, i personally wouldnt move her again just yet, just keep an eye on her, & look for signs she is going to shed, & then see how her temperment is after she has done. & dont stress that she isnt eating, my bredli is also an awesome eater, she has only ever refused to eat while is shed mode, so it is quite normal. If she does shed, my guess is that she will be ready to eat almost straight away when she is finished.

She is stressed out.The behavior thats being exhibited isn't nastiness but down to a flight or fight response and given that she can't escape the situation the second response is being shown.

Depending on the size of your new enclosure, if it is too big the animal can and will stress out. This will generally lead them to find the tighest place to coil up and it is generally in the coldest part. So they basically shut down. I would put her/him back into your click till they outgrow it and then place the click clack with no lid on it, but everything in side kept the same, under the heat light of your new enclosure. This will allow her/him to feel secure in a familiar environment and allow them to explore their new home in their own time. one day you will see they have left the tub and are happily curled up somewhere else. You can then remove the click clack knowing they have had a nice transgression in to their new home with minimal stress.
Daz

Depending on the size of your new enclosure, if it is too big the animal can and will stress out. This will generally lead them to find the tighest place to coil up and it is generally in the coldest part. So they basically shut down. I would put her/him back into your click till they outgrow it and then place the click clack with no lid on it, but everything in side kept the same, under the heat light of your new enclosure. This will allow her/him to feel secure in a familiar environment and allow them to explore their new home in their own time. one day you will see they have left the tub and are happily curled up somewhere else. You can then remove the click clack knowing they have had a nice transgression in to their new home with minimal stress.
Daz

^^^^^^ what hugsta said.. :)

put the click clack in the new enclosure and leave it open a bit so she can get out and explore but knows that its there for her to get back into if she feels like it....thats what i did with Keiko my 8mth old stimmie, her nature is amazing. give that a go you may find she'll settle

My opinion about her being in shed is totally outweighed right about now ;).......BUT i still believe that this could be the case. Yes, while a big, open enclosure can be scary for a little snake, as long as she has hides & is able to get out of view when she wants too, i really dont think it is as big an issue as some say it is. My bredli has been in a big enclosure since i got her at 6mnths old, & she was quite small, i just offered her a number of hiding places, branches, greenery etc & she has shown no signs of being stressed at all, except when in shed. Dont 'flame' me for this post, :rolleyes: im not saying it isnt possible the enclosure has scared her, but at the same time, i still believe it could very well just be that she is coming up for a shed. I would also think that moving her again would just scare her even more so......maybe if you are worried it is the enclosure just put her click clack in there also, if its the enclosure & she is just scared, she will go back to her click clack.

I have a numerous amount of hides, one in the cooler end, one in the warmer end and one in the middle. she also has large branch she can climb. I have already put her click clack in the enclosure but she doesn't seem interested in it. Tonight I noticed that she is hiding in the warmer end and the lights are on night mode and she's not active. Her skin looks really dull and it's almost that dull that it's hard to see her patern. Did notice what milky eyes this morning, so I gave her enclosure a couple sprays with water mist.

How long does it generally take for a shed ? Any sort of time frame ?
I think she is going through a shed! How can I make it easier for her?

You can't really, as there is a little humidity in the enclosure, she will shed no problems. Her eyes will go milky white and then they will clear up, she will then shed within a couple of days of this. The cna take from a week as hatchies to up to 3 weeks or so as adults.

I Don't think its the size of the enclosure. I actually think she is probably shedding. As you can see from the pics there are plenty of places she can hide. I took a pic of her and you can she her skin has lost a lot of colour, I mean lustre and she's still hiding in a warm spot Bottom right hand corner in the enclosure on the pic of the enclosure.

Any suggestions as this is our first shed?

thanks for all the information and advice everyone has shared so far..

I have a numerous amount of hides, one in the cooler end, one in the warmer end and one in the middle. she also has large branch she can climb. I have already put her click clack in the enclosure but she doesn't seem interested in it. Tonight I noticed that she is hiding in the warmer end and the lights are on night mode and she's not active. Her skin looks really dull and it's almost that dull that it's hard to see her patern. Did notice what milky eyes this morning, so I gave her enclosure a couple sprays with water mist.

How long does it generally take for a shed ? Any sort of time frame ?
I think she is going through a shed! How can I make it easier for her?

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0140.jpg
    tn_IMG_0140.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5144.jpg
    IMG_5144.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5141.jpg
    IMG_5141.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5134.jpg
    IMG_5134.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5138.jpg
    IMG_5138.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Once her eyes have cleared it usually takes a couple of days. Just be patient & leave her be, she knows what she is doing! :D As for the enclosure......it is completely up to you if you chose to move her back to her click clack, but imo, she sounds fine, just normal shedding behaviour. Once she sheds, offer her a feed, chances are she will go back to being the normal eating machine you started with once she is done! Goodluck!

Just based on the original post, most likely due to shed. The absolute best thing you can do for her is to leave her alone until she's done. This is not a metaphor for "keep checking in", it means just let her be completely. Change water when you have to but other than that, don't bother her. Snakes that are normally tolerant of their keepers, very seldom extend that tolerance inside the shed cycle. Cheers!

*EDIT* If the photos you posted are current, then yes, she's shedding. Just leave her be, she's telling you this by hiding. :)

Last edited:
My lil Stimmy is currently starting day 2 of cleared up eyes. It is just a waiting game. Just keep an eye on her. I'm sure she will be fine and it will be all over with soon :)

This might sound stupid but how often due pythons shed?
Is thereba cycle ? Or is it determined due to growth rate?
Just so I can recognize the signs next time round.

Yes, it depends on how fast they are growing, although health issues can also cause shedding. My bredli shed after 5wks with me, then she shed again 4wks later, her last shed was almost 6wks later.......so yeah, there will be a bit of a difference, but i think it is usually 6-8wks........the longer you have her the more you will notice the signs. For example, my bredli never hides, although she will disappear into her warm end hide when it is getting close to a shed.

Uh yep.....i would think so. :) I believe that Matilda had close sheds due to the fact that i have increased her food size so much, she was only being offered fuzzy mice at 6mnths old when i first got her, & now after 4mnths we are up to weiner rats, & she has grown tremendously since!

I just peeked at Charlotte, she's in her hiding spot in the cool end where she was this morning. Is this lack of movement normal for a sloghing python?

If so is there anything else I should expect in the way of behavior ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back